Is it time for Plan Z at QB

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pony up 3 yr $26M $15M guaranteed for Orton. Price will only get higher closer to opening day. Guy had a 90 rating with no running game no reps and Hackett/Marrone to overcome.

And he sucked after his first few games...Our OL was horrible last year. If the line can be decent this season, all the 3 QBs actually have a shot.

Except when trent edwards was our QB. He looked like a stud in camp, and everything looked fine to everyone. But then we saw him play a game....

I am not hitting the panic button yet. Anyone that was expecting a QB to light it up this quickly was dreaming. We don't have a lot of talent at the QB position. I think when rex said the blue/white scrimmage on saturday will be the first big test, I think that is true. We don't know how these QBs are doing because we aren't seeing everything. There might be better or worse results going on in the closed practices.

Edwards was from a West Coast Offense in college to a Mike Martz offense (think 2000 St Louis Rams) installed by Steve Fairchild, and run by he and Turk Schornert -Alex Van Pelt. Which would be like asking Joe Montana to make plays in a deep passing offense with a sub par line.

When the line went downhill for the Rams it got Warner killed, and then got Marc Bulgar killed. Then once Martz was fired by the Rams, and he took his offense to Chicago it got Cutler killed. Kinda why no one will hire the guy now.

Is it any wonder why Edwards left Buffalo with at least 5 severe concussions on his resume.

As far as the next starting Bills QB is concerned. One big factor to consider is how much arm strength the player has because in those swirling winds at RWS they will need a cannon. Then as the season progresses into the winter months things get even worse.

TE was fine until he took a hit in the AZ game. He was never the same after that. Goodwin has yet to come back from the pop he took last year.

That's the biggest myth on this board of all time that never dies. He wasn't very good before the AZ game and had a couple ok games against bad teams everyone over exaggerated.

When the line went downhill for the Rams it got Warner killed, and then got Marc Bulgar killed. Then once Martz was fired by the Rams, and he took his offense to Chicago it got Cutler killed. Kinda why no one will hire the guy now.

I think he got Kitna killed in Detroit in between as well didn't he? And had an uninspiring year trying to reinvent Alex Smith at San Fran? His record everywhere since he had Orlando Pace and co. in that stellar o-line is terrible.

I think he got Kitna killed in Detroit in between as well didn't he? And had an uninspiring year trying to reinvent Alex Smith at San Fran? His record everywhere since he had Orlando Pace and co. in that stellar o-line is terrible.

yep

What a lot of fans just don't get is its like putting a square peg into a round hole in trying to switch up a young QB from a WCO background into a deep passing type system. Is it any wonder why Edwards was always looking for the check down or outlet because he simply didn't have the time to make the deep throws. Schemes matter, game plans matter. Dick Jauron and his clown car coaches.

It will be interesting to see how new Bills OC Greg Roman implements his power run scheme with the current line players on the roster. Arguably one of the most complex run schemes in the NFL today. If run correctly it should help take some major heat away from the QB.

That's the biggest myth on this board of all time that never dies. He wasn't very good before the AZ game and had a couple ok games against bad teams everyone over exaggerated.

This I agree with you on and to add to it, didn't Trent have one of the best games of his career right after he returned from that AZ game.

Here's something no ones considered; would another NFL GM trade the Bills a decent QB knowing how good we are at most every other position? QB is the final piece of the ultimate NFL doomsday machine.

Good point, and also they would realize the "desperation" of needing that last piece, would drive the price up significantly.

Although, I don't see anything happening, gotta go with what they got now, unless a surprise cut later on.

a lot of high school teams have found success with converting their RB to QB. the threat of the run sucks the defense in and then the RB can just shuttle toss the ball down field at that point to get it to the wide open receiver, doesn't even have to be a spiral.

Fred would be the best QB on the team. make it happen!

Like this? http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/WK-10-Cant-Miss-Play-Wildbill/2f4a9ea1-7cdd-42bc-9eb3-9e592c470502

This I agree with you on and to add to it, didn't Trent have one of the best games of his career right after he returned from that AZ game.

The best game of his career.

Sounds like everyone is raving about Josh McCown so far in Cleveland. I will see for myself on Friday.

Oh so QB's can look good without pads after a few days of practice? I'm not pushing the panic button just yet- again I think Cassel will win the job and play well enough to get us to 10-6- but enough with excuses already. I am really looking forward to the beat reporters telling us, "hey this guy actually looked good in a practice today." We literally haven't gotten a report like that since Fitzpatrick was here, save for Manuel's one practice last year against the Steelers. Practice is really important guys. Especially for these QB's on this Bills team.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

We like to make trades with Philly, why didn't we trade for Foles? He would be better than the bums we have now. Roman made Smith and Kaepernick works he could have done the same with Foles.

Because Philly wanted either a Quarterback in exchange of a 1st to package to get up for Mariota. We had neither.