Is it time for Plan Z at QB

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should have grabbed Hoyer.

Aw man, you guys are on plan Z already? Give them a few days.

But regarding Hoyer - why would you want that mess? On the field and in the locker room, he's a train wreck. He blabbed to the local and national media about all kinds of internal stuff with the browns, including the texts that got Farmer suspended. He also wanted way more money than he is worth. Very inaccurate. I think he is in the best possible situation for him though, because he knows O'Brien's offense. He can't be trusted. And the players hated him.

Edited by Cleveland Rocks?

If EJ is as bad as early camp reports indicate, then it's about to be a two-man race between Tyrod and Meh with Simms lingering in the background as a dark, dark horse. Objective fans saw this coming a long time ago, so it should come as no surprise. One would think Cassell has the edge, albeit a slight one, as we head towards preseason. If Tyrod lights it up, though, he could steal it.

Who did these objective fans see as a legit option? Name one can't-miss franchise QB drafted since 2013? Edited by PromoTheRobot

Cassell will start.....don't know about the rest of the wannabe's. Cassell won the starting job last year in Minn.....and lost it when he broke his ankle in the 3d(?) game. He was good enough to start there...and he will be here since there isn't somebody to take it away. He will be a B- or C+ QB, not an A player, but that may be good enough for a winning record with this team. Not sure anybody else can be anything but a C- or D grade player. I don't hate EJ, but as a season ticket holder, I saw for myself he does not have the accuracy to be an NFL QB. DM HAD to bench EJ last year as the receivers were in open rebellion about EJ's lack of ability to hit them when they were open.

I suppose another QB might be found in free agency, Orton did not work out so bad IMHO...and he brought a little swagger to the job....that is necessary in that the team on the field needs a lift from their leader. Not to be found in EJ....either, unfortunately.

As for the candidates mentioned here...Locker has lost his desire....much like Orton I think....so he is NFG. Vick is over the hill. Mettenburger is so good they drafted MM. Glennon interests me some, we could do worse I suppose....like with the guys on our roster at this point.

I saw that also last year, and have been pretty shocked that more posters/people haven't mentioned that...

Who did these objective fans see as a legit option? Name one can't-miss franchise QB drafted since 2013?

Objectively speaking, I wouldn't call Cassell and Tyrod illegitimate. A veteran game manager with some NFL pedigree as one option, and a young gun hoping to break thru with a ton of athleticism as the other isn't a terrible combination. I'm not sold yet on either, but I think there's reason to feel a bit positive.

Objectively speaking, I wouldn't call Cassell and Tyrod illegitimate. A veteran game manager with some NFL pedigree as one option, and a young gun hoping to break thru with a ton of athleticism as the other isn't a terrible combination. I'm not sold yet on either, but I think there's reason to feel a bit positive.

So are you implying EJ is the odd man out?

Can't the team let camp play out a bit more? Everyone is so easy to panic.

Well, there are a lot of people on the board that think/thought E.J. just needed a little more time, some confidence, better footwork, improved timing, ETC.,

and the accuracy issues would go away: they appear not to be at this early stage of camp.

I am hoping Cassel can get it together myself.

Well, there are a lot of people on the board that think/thought E.J. just needed a little more time, some confidence, better footwork, improved timing, ETC.,

and the accuracy issues would go away: they appear not to be at this early stage of camp.

I am hoping Cassel can get it together myself.

EJ is maddening but it does look like the accuracy issues are never going to be fixed.

I was always on board for giving the man some time to develop, but its pretty safe to say the experiment has failed and we will be going all in on QB's in the next draft

Cassell will start.....don't know about the rest of the wannabe's. Cassell won the starting job last year in Minn.....and lost it when he broke his ankle in the 3d(?) game. He was good enough to start there...and he will be here since there isn't somebody to take it away. He will be a B- or C+ QB, not an A player, but that may be good enough for a winning record with this team. Not sure anybody else can be anything but a C- or D grade player. I don't hate EJ, but as a season ticket holder, I saw for myself he does not have the accuracy to be an NFL QB. DM HAD to bench EJ last year as the receivers were in open rebellion about EJ's lack of ability to hit them when they were open.

I suppose another QB might be found in free agency, Orton did not work out so bad IMHO...and he brought a little swagger to the job....that is necessary in that the team on the field needs a lift from their leader. Not to be found in EJ....either, unfortunately.

As for the candidates mentioned here...Locker has lost his desire....much like Orton I think....so he is NFG. Vick is over the hill. Mettenburger is so good they drafted MM. Glennon interests me some, we could do worse I suppose....like with the guys on our roster at this point.

This times a thousand.

Rex and his staff brought Cassel, Tyrod, and even Simms in here for a reason. They know EJ is a bum.

EJ will not be on the Bills roster by opening day. Of this, I am certain. Rex may not even elect to burn a bunch of the preseason reps on him until the 4th game, at which point everyone will realize he is done here.

He's not remotely accurate by NFL standards, and makes poor decisions. Hasn't ever fired the ball with any authority, doesn't use his athleticism to any advantage, and doesn't inspire confidence in others. If the 10 other guys on offense do their jobs perfectly, his lazy footwork & poor ball location just can not be the reason that the play fails time and time again.

We whiffed, get over it. You can't polish a turd into a diamond.

I don't think 'Team it's only been 3 practices' is giving credence to our history here on the Wall. 3 practices IS sufficient to see that nothing has changed from Manuel since he was rightfully kicked to the bench. Yes, he still has an ever-dwindling support group, but many -if not most team observers had moved on from him UNLESS we saw significant improvement in his accuracy and performance starting Day 1 in OTA's.

We have not -and 3 days into Camp is all the longer a leash he deserves.

Cassel by default.

Pony up 3 yr $26M $15M guaranteed for Orton. Price will only get higher closer to opening day. Guy had a 90 rating with no running game no reps and Hackett/Marrone to overcome.

He walked away from $11M. I'm sure $8M/year will change his mind. :wallbash:

Cousins

No, I don't think they're related.

Pony up 3 yr $26M $15M guaranteed for Orton. Price will only get higher closer to opening day. Guy had a 90 rating with no running game no reps and Hackett/Marrone to overcome.

Orton quit halfway through last year.

It's very difficult to believe that the EJ who looked very competent for a decent portion of his rookie season, and the first two games of last year, is "a bum" and "worth nothing" at this point in his career.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's not logical.

It's very difficult to believe that the EJ who looked very competent for a decent portion of his rookie season, and the first two games of last year, is "a bum" and "worth nothing" at this point in his career.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's not logical.

E...it's time to throw in the towel on EJM. I realize some posters were vocal in their support and discontinuing that would be a blow to their pride, but it's time to move on. He's never improved on the accuracy issues that have troubled him since day 1. He also struggles to adapt to on-field pressure and his footwork remains sloppy.

Non-fans covering this team, i.e. reporters, have signaled his lack of improvement. Other than a blow to pride, I'm not sure why some fans continue to cling to the notion Manuel is OK.

I need to see them in some preseason games before I go all chicken little.

I still think these coaches are handling this right. the last time I recall a legit 3 QB competition was when the seahawks did it with Flynn, Wilson, and jackson. You had 1 vet, 1 unknown backup, and 1 rookie. We arguably have a similar thing with 1 unknown backup, 1 vet, and 1 young player. This is a good recipe. Cassel has vet experience and we kind of know what we get from him. Taylor and EJ both have potential, so maybe one of them surprises.

I really think we are doing this QB situation the best way we can with what we have. And I don't think there is any other QB available via trade or whatever that would be better than these guys.

If we can improve the run game from last year, our offense will be a lot better, even if the QB play doesn't improve.

Other than a blow to pride, I'm not sure why some fans continue to cling to the notion Manuel is OK.

I think it is because no one wants to admit that Cassel may be the starter. At least with a younger player, you can say there is .0001% chance he turns the corner. but with a 10 year vet, what you see is what you get. People are clinging to hope that there is some potential in the young QB so that our answer for QB is on the roster. But chances are we are going to be drafting a QB high in the draft next year and probably signing another vet somewhere in there as well.