Ted Black out: Russ Brandon to head Sabres and Bills

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The news release says GMTM reports directly to the Pegulas, and not to Brandon. That's OK if that's what they want, but it seems that this arrangement could lead to power struggles. Or it could work out just fine if there's clear delineation about which guy does which jobs.

My real fear is that the reason Brandon works so well with the Bills is immersion and commitment to the organization. How will he keep that up and do the same thing with the Sabres? Sounds like burn-out is in his future.

The news release says GMTM reports directly to the Pegulas, and not to Brandon. That's OK if that's what they want, but it seems that this arrangement could lead to power struggles. Or it could work out just fine if there's clear delineation about which guy does which jobs.

My real fear is that the reason Brandon works so well with the Bills is immersion and commitment to the organization. How will he keep that up and do the same thing with the Sabres? Sounds like burn-out is in his future.

There is a clear line drawn between the on-ice/on-field side and the franchise business management side. Been that way for a while with the Bills and Im sure the same will happen with the Sabres now that they have a GM they are confident in.

As for your other concern, Marketing the Sabres and Bills in Buffalo is at most a 4hour/week job. Are the teams still here? Yes? Ok, tickets will sell. For Brandon, it's about being a good leader at the top. the rest will take care of itself.

Edited by DrDareustein

Isn't this the case with Rex too?

Isn't this the case with Rex too?

yep. Makes sense they would have consistent reporting structures.

He hasnt made roster decisions in at least 4 years.

but.. But remember that high five he gave Whaley in the draft room when they got Watkins? Doomed IMO.

Some guys are just in the right place, right time. I see Brandon as the ultimate bungler, largely responsible for the Bills' non-playoff history. But he lucked into lining up with two owners who see him as a bright businessman and that's all that counts.

Luck>talent, I guess..

Some guys are just in the right place, right time. I see Brandon as the ultimate bungler, largely responsible for the Bills' non-playoff history. But he lucked into lining up with two owners who see him as a bright businessman and that's all that counts.

Luck>talent, I guess..

actually, just the opposite, Russ is brilliant and very deserving.

Luck>talent, I guess..

You guess wrong. About almost everything in your entire post.

I've been very pleased with how isolated Russ has been from football operations since Rex came on board. He's not much more than a glorified marketing exec at this point, and if he wants to do that with the Sabres, that's fine by me.

Luck>talent, I guess..

This is just wrong. It's been beaten to death on here but he is an incredibly well respected sports business executive. This is the natural next step and a really strong move by the Pegula's. They have one of the most respected sports business professionals in the world heading up their booming sports empire.