Shady trade will really set this team back

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not magic. It's just shifting dollars down the line. things like clays 2nd year bonus have been standard operating procedure for other teams (see saints with a ton of contracts, suh in Miami, etc....). I'm excited were finally pushing the limits but until he shows he can effectively cycle these deals for a few years it's hard to say he's a guru. I like where we are but there's still a touch of "show me"

A big part of why we are in a great spot is the last several years we've been pretty conservative. Now it's time to manage these deals going on the books that are higher maintenance.

"Conservative" for the Bills was the lethal combination of not being committed to winning and not having exceptional people in management.

The commitment is there now for the first time since the salary-cap-hell era at the turn of the century. The coaching staff is improved....Whaley may not be perfect but he is at the very least a legit personnel man at the height of his game unlike the Marv or Russ Brandon etc..

Now is when it starts to get hard to manage the cap.

McCoy is more than just a run of the mill RB though. He's such a versatile threat. He could have a record book season if the o line gels.

Although you have to take it with a grain of salt given that he has left the team and with some bad feeling besides, many observers in Philly feel that McCoy had started to show a slow decline last year. His yards per carry were down from the year before and he was outperformed by Sproles running behind the same O-line.

Something that puzzles me is how Shady fits into a north-south ground and pound that both Rex (with Ivory) and Roman (with Gore) seem to have favoured. How will they (and the fans) react when he (like CJ) refuses or is unwilling or unable to hit the hole?

Hoping for the best from McCoy of course and maybe that's what we will see but I think there are some questions/issues there that will have to be addressed.

Although you have to take it with a grain of salt given that he has left the team and with some bad feeling besides, many observers in Philly feel that McCoy had started to show a slow decline last year. His yards per carry were down from the year before and he was outperformed by Sproles running behind the same O-line.

Something that puzzles me is how Shady fits into a north-south ground and pound that both Rex (with Ivory) and Roman (with Gore) seem to have favoured. How will they (and the fans) react when he (like CJ) refuses or is unwilling or unable to hit the hole?

Hoping for the best from McCoy of course and maybe that's what we will see but I think there are some questions/issues there that will have to be addressed.

cutonadime

says just wait beetches

cutonadime

says just wait beetches

One of the things the naysayers in Philly say is precisely that his cuts are not as crisp and that his quickness has gone down a notch.

What he needs to show now is that he is indeed a Martin/Faulk type player. If he can do that into his early 30's he is likely headed to Canton, especially if the Bills win a championship with him leading the way.

One of the things the naysayers in Philly say is precisely that his cuts are not as crisp and that his quickness has gone down a notch.

What he needs to show now is that he is indeed a Martin/Faulk type player. If he can do that into his early 30's he is likely headed to Canton, especially if the Bills win a championship with him leading the way.

if his next 5 years total up to his last 5 years he will be right around top ten all time yardage. Essentially, we are betting on shady for HOF with that contract.

"Conservative" for the Bills was the lethal combination of not being committed to winning and not having exceptional people in management.

The commitment is there now for the first time since the salary-cap-hell era at the turn of the century. The coaching staff is improved....Whaley may not be perfect but he is at the very least a legit personnel man at the height of his game unlike the Marv or Russ Brandon etc..

Now is when it starts to get hard to manage the cap.

Excellent post. It's as if the organization has made the transition from the stagecoach era to bullet train era. Modernizing an organization shouldn't be considered an exceptional act----it should be the norm to keep pace with the rest of the crowd.

In my view the impetus for change in the way the franchise functioned happend when the owner bestowed authority on Russ Brandon. He took over the football operation for a short stint but that was mainly because that responsibility was thrust upon him. I give him credit, more than anyone else, for hiring more competent football people and structuring the organization in a more coherent manner.

There was no doubt that he had to work with the Wilson/Littman business model and work with the in-placeWilson hires. But under those restrictive guidelines he transitioned the organization into a normally functioning NFL franchise.

I wasn't a fan of Buddy Nix. But to Nix's credit he systematically cleaned out the ineffective staff (Modrak and Guy) who contributed to making this a scelortic organization with little hope of being a vibrant and competing franchise. Whaley continued the staff cleansing process when he took over.

As you noted in your incisive comments the Bills are now not what they once were and are now on a more hopeful and positive track. With the new owner the outlook has become very bright.

Excellent post. It's as if the organization has made the transition from the stagecoach era to bullet train era. Modernizing an organization shouldn't be considered an exceptional act----it should be the norm to keep pace with the rest of the crowd.

In my view the impetus for change in the way the franchise functioned happend when the owner bestowed authority on Russ Brandon. He took over the football operation for a short stint but that was mainly because that responsibility was thrust upon him. I give him credit, more than anyone else, for hiring more competent football people and structuring the organization in a more coherent manner.

There was no doubt that he had to work with the Wilson/Littman business model and work with the in-placeWilson hires. But under those restrictive guidelines he transitioned the organization into a normally functioning NFL franchise.

I wasn't a fan of Buddy Nix. But to Nix's credit he systematically cleaned out the ineffective staff (Modrak and Guy) who contributed to making this a scelortic organization with little hope of being a vibrant and competing franchise. Whaley continued the staff cleansing process when he took over.

As you noted in your incisive comments the Bills are now not what they once were and are now on a more hopeful and positive track. With the new owner the outlook has become very bright.

Russ is a tremendous businessman.

The smart things he did on the business end...and a lot of luck, like the somewhat unexpected passing of Ted Rogers.....ended up steering the team to the Pegulas which is ultimately what is most important.

If he hadn't been so WNY-centric about the team they could very well have been lost.

His work with personnel and management hirings was not good though.

He was promoted above his level of competence by an owner that was out of touch.

That's not his fault but he didn't handle those decisions well and he got a reputation for being blatantly dishonest and got a little carried away with his power.

The Pegulas IMMEDIATELY pulled football influence from him and put him back in his sweet spot and we should be glad for that.

It was the equivalent of firing a Wade Phillips or Chan Gailey and then being able to keep them on as a coordinator.

Worked out for the best.

soft? He played the entire season with broken ribs, groin issues and an injured hip.

"played" well I guess he did play...why are there 20 plus articles on why he didn't play hard last year??? Why did Sammy admit after the season that he didn't play hard? Just saying...watch enough replay and you'll see him not fight for balls and drop down Tim brown style before the hit....facts....I know he was hurt now. Back then I was really wondering why....doesn't make him tough to play hurt if he plays like a baby.

Really? which 2 bills is shady costing us. do enlighten me.

well can you read?? I named the possible losses in both posts...try reading.

Okie dokie stan. Single white female might resonate better.

Good movie

I don't get it....nice defense of your weird position.

I just shake my head enlightener. Seems you want to be a nut case. The crap people come up with in the off season , I shake my head.

why it's math...you shake your head at math? Ok. Care to explain your flame?

"played" well I guess he did play...why are there 20 plus articles on why he didn't play hard last year??? Why did Sammy admit after the season that he didn't play hard? Just saying...watch enough replay and you'll see him not fight for balls and drop down Tim brown style before the hit....facts....I know he was hurt now. Back then I was really wondering why....doesn't make him tough to play hurt if he plays like a baby.

Have you ever had broken ribs? Just putting on the pads would be more of an adventure than I'd sign up for. Stepping on the field would be out of the question. I'd have nightmares about a random sneeze. Anyone who plays at all with broken ribs is a stud in my book.

A baby who made just under 1,000 yards while being constantly double-teamed? Seriously? This is really just offensive, and why most on this board would probably agree with mead107.

Edited by Rocky Landing

link to the 20+ articles that he "didn't play hard" and himself "admitting he didn't play hard?" I didn't see any. I only remember him saying that he pulled up early on a route one game. Edited by YoloinOhio

why it's math...you shake your head at math? Ok. Care to explain your flame?i

Im just gonna punch myself in the face.....i read another one of your posts by accident.

Russ is a tremendous businessman.

The smart things he did on the business end...and a lot of luck, like the somewhat unexpected passing of Ted Rogers.....ended up steering the team to the Pegulas which is ultimately what is most important.

If he hadn't been so WNY-centric about the team they could very well have been lost.

His work with personnel and management hirings was not good though.

He was promoted above his level of competence by an owner that was out of touch.

That's not his fault but he didn't handle those decisions well and he got a reputation for being blatantly dishonest and got a little carried away with his power.

The Pegulas IMMEDIATELY pulled football influence from him and put him back in his sweet spot and we should be glad for that.

It was the equivalent of firing a Wade Phillips or Chan Gailey and then being able to keep them on as a coordinator.

Worked out for the best.

You are I are in accord that Brandon's talents lie on the business side of the operation and not the football side. However, I have a a little different view on Brandon with respect to how he handled his responsibilities with the team.

As we both acknowledged it was Wilson who thrust Brandon in his role as the head of the football operation. Brandon didn't pursue that role, it was given to him by the owner who had a lot of trust in him. It was a role that he didn't seek and it was a role that even he recognized that he wasn't equipped to handle. He headed the football operation for only one year and gladly yielded that responsibility when Nix was hired. My understanding, and Brandon stated it very often, that when Nix was the GM he, Buddy, assumed control of the football side of the operation and he, Brandon, handled the business side of the business.

My understanding, in contrast to your interpretation of the situation, is that Pegula didn't pull him out of the football side of the business because he was already not very much involved with that role. It didn't take Pegula very long to recognize Brandon's impressive talents while he was in the process of bidding for the team and observing Brandon work as the primary representative of the team and instrumental in the sale process.

I am very much perplexed by your claim that Brandon was blatantly dishonest (your words) and intoxicated with his power.

As I stated in my first post I believe that Brandon, more than anyone else, was instrumental in turning a backwater franchise into a modern and normal functioning franchise.

You are I are in accord that Brandon's talents lie on the business side of the operation and not the football side. However, I have a a little different view on Brandon with respect to how he handled his responsibilities with the team.

As we both acknowledged it was Wilson who thrust Brandon in his role as the head of the football operation. Brandon didn't pursue that role, it was given to him by the owner who had a lot of trust in him. It was a role that he didn't seek and it was a role that even he recognized that he wasn't equipped to handle. He headed the football operation for only one year and gladly yielded that responsibility when Nix was hired. My understanding, and Brandon stated it very often, that when Nix was the GM he, Buddy, assumed control of the football side of the operation and he, Brandon, handled the business side of the business.

My understanding, in contrast to your interpretation of the situation, is that Pegula didn't pull him out of the football side of the business because he was already not very much involved with that role. It didn't take Pegula very long to recognize Brandon's impressive talents while he was in the process of bidding for the team and observing Brandon work as the primary representative of the team and instrumental in the sale process.

I am very much perplexed by your claim that Brandon was blatantly dishonest (your words) and intoxicated with his power.

As I stated in my first post I believe that Brandon, more than anyone else, was instrumental in turning a backwater franchise into a modern and normal functioning franchise.

So you don't think Brandon was integral in hiring his Syracuse crony Marrone?

Doesn't seem Marrone was EVER on the same page as Whaley so it's kinda' hard to imagine Whaley loving that hire.

Of course, as Russ said.....Buddy was the GM and he wasn't going anywhere. So I guess Buddy hired him and then tucked and rolled.

I think people are a bit forgetful about the influence of RB in the football ops department.