Whiny parents (Part 31)

I have a five year old and he is generally well behaved in a restaurant. We give him the iPhone, make him talk to us, and he sits there like a very small adult. He's a kid though. He's allowed to be a hellion in my house, throw things, and goof off. But, he's also a kid who knows to shape up when we are out. This is a valuable life lesson that we have taught him. He's generally been well behaved, but on the rare occasions when he hadn't been great, I yanked him out very fast. It's just not fair to others around me to listen to him get upset. It's also not fair to him to NOT be taught valuable life lessons. Last time I yanked him was at least 2-3 years ago. He's still got a "kid" diet, but we can essentially take him anywhere with us and he's good to go.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people ever bring children to a restaurant? Honest question.

My wife and I are not having kids yet because we enjoy traveling, great restaurants, etc. We pay extra when we travel to tropical locations for "kid free" hotels. It's worth every penny. I understand we are in a vast minority of not having kids but we know that if we ever do, one of the expenses will be a babysitter for any time we go out. Flying? Well I don't have an answer for that other than some nice noise canceling headphones but why should your choice to procreate interfere with my steak?

If you have your first kid it's pretty easy to go to a restaurant when they're a baby and time it during their sleep schedule. It's one thing to go on a date with the wife, another to go to a family dinner. Family dinners generally take place earlier in the evening, like 5 PM. Kids got to learn to behave in that situation sometime, BUT as per most replies parents keep them on a short leash and remove them if they don't behave.

It's always the jackholes like that couple in Maine that ruin things for everyone else. Freaking annoying!

I'm still not convinced it was all the baby and his/her family....the difficulty in making 3 'full size' pancakes is still a sticky point with me

If you have your first kid it's pretty easy to go to a restaurant when they're a baby and time it during their sleep schedule. It's one thing to go on a date with the wife, another to go to a family dinner. Family dinners generally take place earlier in the evening, like 5 PM. Kids got to learn to behave in that situation sometime, BUT as per most replies parents keep them on a short leash and remove them if they don't behave.

It's always the jackholes like that couple in Maine that ruin things for everyone else. Freaking annoying!

Why do people ever bring children to a restaurant? Honest question.

My wife and I are not having kids yet because we enjoy traveling, great restaurants, etc. We pay extra when we travel to tropical locations for "kid free" hotels. It's worth every penny. I understand we are in a vast minority of not having kids but we know that if we ever do, one of the expenses will be a babysitter for any time we go out. Flying? Well I don't have an answer for that other than some nice noise canceling headphones but why should your choice to procreate interfere with my steak?

You sound like a boring person to be around.

I only remember it having to be used once on my brother (10 years younger than me). When he acted up in a restaurant , they paid the waitress, and immediately took us home. No dinner. Told my brother it was because he acted up in public. After that, never happened again.

I'm still not convinced it was all the baby and his/her family....the difficulty in making 3 'full size' pancakes is still a sticky point with me

Hey, they're gourmet! Actually I heard audio of the mom talking about the whole incident later and she was completely clueless and scatterbrained about it.

Huh? I don't want to spend time with strangers' children so I'm boring?

I'm boring for a million other reasons but this certainly isn't one of them.

For some great laughter and to show the great divide in parenting now a days, read this story/review, but most importantly read the comments!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/express/wp/2015/07/24/im-not-letting-my-son-see-pixels-heres-why/?tid=pm_pop_b

One of the finer comments

"I bet when this kid was two years old his mother took him to a diner in Maine."

LikeReplyShare1

BTW Steve, and a bit of a lamp here, finally bought a second/ vacation house, and it's a condo on Kalorama Rd in Kalorama Triangle. We will have to get together for a beer at some point...I have yet to be to Two Amy's maybe we can go their get a beer and a pizza and I can bring my kids LOL. Daughter at least old enough if we get get schnockered she can drive us home!

Should be up on weekends quite a bit.

Edited by plenzmd1