Do We Have Any Bernie Sanders Supporters Among Us?

I think his point is that the alternative parties exist, and it's up to the individuals to pay attention and embrace those options. In a representative democracy, there's no authoritative entity that decides which and how many parties compete for the vote.

The dominant two party system is in place only because they've built up massive organizations over 150-years, and most people are too lazy or indifferent to do their own homework.

I feel sure over the years that many people have thought briefly about voting third party and reasoned they have no chance to win before going back to one of those two machines. The best way I see to change the perception that nobody else can win is to cast votes that way. Maybe it happens very slowly, the Green Party lets say inches its way up and next century wins its first state. Or maybe votes coming in outside of the GOP/DNC helps inspire some future Bernie to fight the DNC from within. Futile and meaningless to some I'm sure but I find it preferable to either not voting at all, or seeing my voice feed into the ugliness that Deranged Rhino is talking about.

I feel sure over the years that many people have thought briefly about voting third party and reasoned they have no chance to win before going back to one of those two machines. The best way I see to change the perception that nobody else can win is to cast votes that way. Maybe it happens very slowly, the Green Party lets say inches its way up and next century wins its first state. Or maybe votes coming in outside of the GOP/DNC helps inspire some future Bernie to fight the DNC from within. Futile and meaningless to some I'm sure but I find it preferable to either not voting at all, or seeing my voice feed into the ugliness that Deranged Rhino is talking about.

I assume by the bolded statement you're referring to the ugliness that would come from a Beerball presidency?

Which policy is it that you support?

The trading uranium to our enemies to secure private campaign funding?

The establishing an illegal private email server in order to circumvent Congressional oversight?

The lying to the parents of dead soldiers because it was politically convenient?

All of the above.

The dominant two party system is in place only because they've built up massive organizations over 150-years, and most people are too lazy or indifferent to do their own homework.

More because they hold the power and control the process. Like, who gets in debates and who doesn't. Or all the rules in Congress where the majority party gets committee Sears etc.

One thing DS and RS can agree on is to keep everyone else out.

More because they hold the power and control the process. Like, who gets in debates and who doesn't. Or all the rules in Congress where the majority party gets committee Sears etc.

One thing DS and RS can agree on is to keep everyone else out.

Again, that's inertia. If there's a 3rd party in Congress holding 10%-15% of the seats, they will be a swing vote on many issues and they can't be shut out.

It's not like the D & R were the original parties at the country's formation.

I do recall Perot, though I think of him as a spoiler who could not win himself. He did throw the election to Clinton without a doubt.

In any event, I can't think of third parties beyond a cult of personality that have been viable in my lifetime.

John Anderson in 1980.

Again, that's inertia. If there's a 3rd party in Congress holding 10%-15% of the seats, they will be a swing vote on many issues and they can't be shut out.

It's not like the D & R were the original parties at the country's formation.

In theory, yes.

Which policy is it that you support?

The trading uranium to our enemies to secure private campaign funding?

The establishing an illegal private email server in order to circumvent Congressional oversight?

The lying to the parents of dead soldiers because it was politically convenient?

Voting for the Iraq War after not reading the Classified Intelligence Estimate first.

Voting against the amendment to require W to come back before congress to actually pull the trigger.

Supporting regime change in Libya.

I do recall Perot, though I think of him as a spoiler who could not win himself. He did throw the election to Clinton without a doubt.

In any event, I can't think of third parties beyond a cult of personality that have been viable in my lifetime.

post-68-0-14214800-1457658369_thumb.jpg