Walmart and Unions

millbank

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, last time I checked, Buffalo also had the lowest rate of job creation of any major American metropolitan area.   Think the two facts might be connected?

I don't think anyone's denegrating the late-50ish guy who, unfortunately, doesn't have a lot of options when it comes to retraining, relocating, etc.    

However, for 20, 30 and 40 year-olds that do have the ability to adapt and change, but find it easier to whine and hope for "Big Daddy" to protect them, I don't have a lot of sympathy.

236885[/snapback]

I don't think most union members would have much sympathy for those guys. I'm not accusing you of this, but there seems to be some misconception that union members don't want to work and are oblivious to the changing world around them. This isn't the case. Most people want to make a decent, not extravagant living. Is this wrong to want?

That being said, this is not the biggest factor that has hampered Buffalo's growth. If this were the case, other areas with higher percentages of the population with union membership would be in worse shape than Buffalo.

No jackass, actually, our governement isn't a bunch of total slobs like in the Buffalo area.  And my uncle is a good worker, just caught up in all the big union BS up north.  So, if he would be willing to move, YES, I would hire him in a minute.  And, in case you couldn't read, at a 10K pay cut, less than what he makes at the mine.

And you see, when goverment works down here.....people DO wise up, and give us even more resources to work with.  I produce new parks that the kids play in.  Top of the line athletic fields.  New gymnasiums, a soccer complex, and new practice football fields. 

Instead of typical jackass statements like the one you just made.....how it really works is like this........The local government does a pretty decent job.  The quality of life goes up.  People actually WANT to move here.  They get good schools, employment, and quality recreation.  Thus, the area is PROGRESSIVE in it's thinking, unlike BUFFALO. 

Then, an ordinary maintenance worker.....instead of begging a union leach for more money would simply do a good job in his current position, and then move up to a supervisory role when another NEW park opens up in the same thriving county.  And this may be a shock, but yes, new parks are opening as we speak.

I'm not in government work to make sure you make money.  Do that for your friggin self.  I'm in gov't to make the area I work for more liveable, and to see it survive and grow.  If Buffalo's gov't chooses to ride the sinking ship of what is does now, you have no one to blame but yourselves.

As a gov't employee, driving through Buffalo makes me sick.  There are all kinds of resources up there that are untapped, and un-used.

THINK IN THE 21st century.  Develop the fuggin waterfront.  Develop Niagara Falls.  Develop the friggin gorgeous waterways you guys have.  THEN PEOPLE WILL WANT TO COME THERE.  Until then, keep voting Democratic.  It's amazing that poor areas have done nothing but voted Democratic and stayed pro-union, despite their communities being driven into the ground.

There is one northern state up there that seems to do OK.  The state of Indiana is a Republican state surrounded by all that BLUE and Union BS up there.  From the bottom 2/3 of the state that is mainly anti-union and strong Republican ideals, the state thrives.  Drive North and East, and what do you have?  Drive south and what do you have?  Self Explanatory! 

Don't promote yourself as a unionized, whoa is me kinda town.  No one feels sorry anymore for those kinds of people.  THINK Progressive, change leaders, and let's see Buffalo move in to the 21st century!

236901[/snapback]

Of course, government jobs in Virginia have other benefits you failed to mention. Like having a paid state holiday for the leader of the Confederate army...very progressive!

That being said, this is not the biggest factor that has hampered Buffalo's growth.  If this were the case, other areas with higher percentages of the population with union membership would be in worse shape than Buffalo.

237087[/snapback]

Maybe it's wrong, but I read a while back that Erie Co. is the most unionized county in the country.

Of course, government jobs in Virginia have other benefits you failed to mention.  Like having a paid state holiday for the leader of the Confederate army...very progressive!

237116[/snapback]

Yep, stupid I agree. But at least the state can afford to take the day off and still pay it's employees!

Yep, stupid I agree.  But at least the state can afford to take the day off and still pay it's employees!

237230[/snapback]

Yeah, because if they run out of money they simply raise taxes and throw the people who refuse to pay them in jail. Too bad WalMart doesn't have that kind of power. :P

walmart fined $135,540 child labor law violation ,GO WALMART

they have 1.5 million employees - they are bound to f up along the way.

What amuses me about your whole union argument is that you talk about the good of unions, but also brag about the nights you go to work to make time and a half and don't have to do any work.....

What amuses me about your whole union argument is that you talk about the good of unions, but also brag about the nights you go to work to make  time and a half and don't have to do any work.....

237412[/snapback]

It is a good thing that we have unions to protect the employees who screw the company like that. :P

I'm sure that's probably the case, as it is in most entities.  The military is a good example.  The lowest paid easily work the hardest on a daily basis.  They're also the easiest to replace.  A good manager can do the job of his employees in a pinch, but the same can rarely be said in the other direction.

236062[/snapback]

Exactly. Guess who works the hardest in restaurants? Dishwashers...sooooo based on that logic, they should be paid the most. :rolleyes:

they have 1.5 million employees - they are bound to f up along the way.

What amuses me about your whole union argument is that you talk about the good of unions, but also brag about the nights you go to work to make  time and a half and don't have to do any work.....

237412[/snapback]

when i am not working ,that means that all the production people are doing there job making GE money .

Fair enough, I don't know the details of your job but it just suprised me to see the same person who argued against the lazy union argument also be the same one who brags about going to work, drinking coffee and having nothing to do some nights.

You know what? I have a two-year degree, as well. And *I* got laid off earlier this year. Having a degree doesn't entitle you to a job either. What did *I* do?

*I* went out there, while on unemployment, and worked in a sh-- job PT to supplement my unemployment. All the while, *I* cultivated personal contatcts and worked on *MY* resume. *I* took civil service exams. *I WORKED* to find another job.

*I* found one, and at a better employer than my lost job. No union was there to pull my nuts out of the fire, *I* did it for *MYSELF*.

So quityerbitchin and get out there and do it for yourself.

236211[/snapback]

I have NEVER understood someone who is unemployed but won't take even a temp job because they thinks it's below them...Like some have said on the board get a job any job to it great and you'll move up and make more money...Problem is it takes hard work.

It's not hard but it is hard work...

I have NEVER understood someone who is unemployed but won't take even a temp job because they thinks it's below them...Like some have said on the board get a job any job to it great and you'll move up and make more money...Problem is it takes hard work.

It's not hard but it is hard work...

238407[/snapback]

Exactly. When you've got no job and a child, you take what you can get.

Unless you're in the union, then you wait for them to "call back".

That being said, this is not the biggest factor that has hampered Buffalo's growth.  If this were the case, other areas with higher percentages of the population with union membership would be in worse shape than Buffalo.

237087[/snapback]

Take a look at Table 6.1 on the URL below and tell me unionization doesn't affect job growth:

http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/CED/publications/milwecon/chap6.html

Buffalo had the highest level of unionization (as a percent of labor force) among the 14 major U.S. metro areas studied in 1966, 1991 and 1996.

In 2004, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, among these same 14 metro areas, only Detroit had a larger percentage loss in private sector jobs (-1.5%) than Buffalo (-0.7%).

Take a look at Table 6.1 on the URL below and tell me unionization doesn't affect job growth:

Buffalo had the highest level of unionization (as a percent of labor force) among the 14 major U.S. metro areas studied in 1966, 1991 and 1996. 

In 2004, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, among these same 14 metro areas, only Detroit had a larger percentage loss in private sector jobs (-1.5%) than Buffalo (-0.7%).

238803[/snapback]

One of the telling statistics of the "Clinton Economy" showed just how abysmal WNY really is. It went something along the lines of:

If WNY were a state during the economic boom, it would have finished 51st in economic growth during the 1990s.

Sad.

One of the telling statistics of the "Clinton Economy" showed just how abysmal WNY really is.  It went something along the lines of:

If WNY were a state during the economic boom, it would have finished 51st in economic growth during the 1990s.

Sad.

238817[/snapback]

And we all know that under the "Bush Economy" that WNY in the 2000's isn't doing any better.

And we all know that under the "Bush Economy" that WNY in the 2000's isn't doing any better.

239002[/snapback]

Thanks for completely missing the point in a vain attempt to turn this into some kind of partisan argument. :blink:

It has little to do with who's President and much to do with the time warp the area is stuck in and the willingness to continue accepting the same mediocrity/status quo.

238803[/snapback]

Nice.

238803[/snapback]

Good post. It is nice to see someone injecting reason into this thread..

I looked at the source for the table and while I believe it could be true, I'm not familiar with it:

Hirsch, Barry T., and David A. MacPherson, Union Membership and Earnings Data Book, 1997 Edition

Assuming this is true, which I am willing to do, I am surprised.

That being said, I still do not believe you can attribute all Buffalo's problems to the union culture (not you personally, that is). I believe that the tax structure of WNY is the biggest culprit, among many, for WNY's current state.

Thanks for completely missing the point in a vain attempt to turn this into some kind of partisan argument.  :huh:

It has little to do with who's President and much to do with the time warp the area is stuck in and the willingness to continue accepting the same mediocrity/status quo.

239100[/snapback]

I didn't miss the point - it isn't the bush economy and it wasn't the clinton economy. I was just suprised that you added "clinton economy" when there was no need for it. :D

That being said, I still do not believe you can attribute all Buffalo's problems to the union culture (not you personally, that is).  I believe that the tax structure of WNY is the biggest culprit, among many, for WNY's current state.

240672[/snapback]

The 2 are not mutually exclusive.

This post makes me realize you just don't get it. You obviously want things handed to you because you make a living with your hands.

The white collars brain power would be useless without the guy to put the car together? Ok. Then we'll find another guy who can do it.  A guy that doesn't need a union, and will work for a FAIR wage.

And you say where would the white collar guy be without the blue collar guy? Well, where would these guys who decided college wasn't for them (and who wouldn't when you can make $20 an hour putting a bolt on a piece of metal) without the WHITE COLLARS TO OFFER THEM A JOB?

edit: I realize this was a very generalized statement and I didn't mean it like that. It shouldn't say "who decided not to go to college". It should say "who decided he didn't want to work to get to where he really wants to be".

Welcome to the 21st century. Unions are a joke.

235682[/snapback]

Well, I have to disagree. I spent ten years working for a well known communications company that was and is vehemently non union. I started at an entry level white collar job and moved up to middle management. I left that company to take a UNION civil service job that required no college education. While it is considered blue collar it definitely involves no physical labor. The benefits are much better- 3times the sick days, double the holidays, and 65% more pay. Now, who is smarter? The white collar college educated me or the blue collar highly paid me? Unions are no joke. That is merely corporate propaganda to ensure that no one is paid what they are worth, and those at the top are paid vastly more than they are worth. White collars are very replaceable- every bit as much as blue collars. The only unreplaceable is the company owner. Period. And lets get in the real world and admit that not every person at the top worked his A$$ off to get there. Luck has a lot to do with success in life. What family you're born into, where you live etc. And yes, I'm from a white suburban family.

Well, I have to disagree. I spent ten years working for a well known communications company that was and is vehemently non union. I started at an entry level white collar job and moved up to middle management. I left that company to take a UNION  civil service job that required no college education. While it is considered blue collar it definitely involves no physical labor. The benefits are much better- 3times the sick days, double the holidays, and 65% more pay. Now, who is smarter? The white collar college educated me or the blue collar highly paid me? Unions are no joke. That is merely corporate propaganda to ensure that no one is paid what they are worth, and those at the top are paid vastly more than they are worth. White collars are very replaceable- every bit as much as blue collars. The only unreplaceable is the company owner. Period. And lets get in the real world and admit that not every person at the top worked his A$$ off to get there. Luck has a lot to do with success in life. What family you're born into, where you live etc. And yes, I'm from a white suburban family.

246367[/snapback]

Great post. The brainwashed anti-labor workers might not see it, but unions, although not perfect, are a vital protection to many workers who would be otherwize abused.

I give you my solemn word that in NYC, decorated Police Officers would be fired for giving a summons to the relative of a City Councilman were it not for the PBA.

Believe this as you will.

Great post. The brainwashed anti-labor workers might not see it, but unions, although not perfect, are a vital protection to many workers who would be otherwize abused.

I give you my solemn word that in NYC, decorated Police Officers would be fired for giving a summons to the relative of a City Councilman were it not for the PBA.

Believe this as you will.

246374[/snapback]

And I'm sure no crappy police officers were retained because of the PBA...

There's little difference between the "brainwashed" anti-labor folks and the "brainwashed" pro-labor folks. You're either trumpeting the good or the bad while ignoring the other side of the argument.

It's also no surprise that unions have the majority of their success in the government realm. Perhaps 2 negatives truly do make a positive. :doh:

>>>>>And I'm sure no crappy police officers were retained because of the PBA...<<<<<

AD, the above begs the question.....WHO should make the determination of who is or is not a "good" police officer? Who is qualified to do so...me, who may be partial? Or you, who saw a TV show?

If there was no labor union to protect the rights of police officers, politicians alone would make this determination. Are you suggesting that this would be a fair system?

>>>>>And I'm sure no crappy police officers were retained because of the PBA...<<<<<

AD, the above begs the question.....WHO should make the determination of who is or is not a "good" police officer? Who is qualified to do so...me, who may be partial? Or you, who saw a TV show?

Maybe Abner Louima would be a good judge. He's got experience. You wanna throw barbs, I can do it all day long. I'd be at least as fair a judge as you would, regardless of your time on the police force. I've had similiar experience in the military after all and understand operations. If you don't think I could separate some politician being a douche bag from reality...

Civilian oversight is a necessity, for obvious reasons.

If there was no labor union to protect the rights of police officers, politicians alone would make this determination. Are you suggesting that this would be a fair system?

246585[/snapback]

Once again, you're dealing in a government realm. Two large and adversariel entities, each with their own agenda. It doesn't surprise me that the Union spawned in response. It also doesn't mean the union is not fatally flawed.

Limiting the size and scope of government would go a long way toward not needing a union. Maybe then we could have officers stopping actual crime, instead of white gloving ashtrays.

Maybe Abner Louima would be a good judge.  He's got experience.  You wanna throw barbs, I can do it all day long.  I'd be at least as fair a judge as you would, regardless of your time on the police force.  I've had similiar experience in the military after all and understand operations.  If you don't think I could separate some politician being a douche bag from reality...

Civilian oversight is a necessity, for obvious reasons.

Once again, you're dealing in a government realm.  Two large and adversariel entities, each with their own agenda.  It doesn't surprise me that the Union spawned in response.  It also doesn't mean the union is not fatally flawed.

Limiting the size and scope of government would go a long way toward not needing a union.  Maybe then we could have officers stopping actual crime, instead of white gloving ashtrays.

246594[/snapback]

Oh my God, AD...I was NOT throwing barbs. I need to establish this! We go back how long? If my post appeared to be doing so, I am sorry.

Justin Volpe, the perpetrator of the crime against Louima, is serving 30 YEARS in prison. I feel ZERO pity for him. He was a steroid head, perverted little Napoleanic scumbag. That was NOT police brutality. It was a sex crime! This little prick set back the cause of NYC police officers to an immeasureable degree, both with the community at large, and at contract time.

That said, please believe that I have arrested persons that, as horrid as his crime was, did far worse, sometimes even to family members, and received less than half of that sentence.

I never said that unions were/are perfect. What I do swear is that NYC police officers could not survive without a labor union. Can you see my point at all?

Oh my God, AD...I was NOT throwing barbs. I need to establish this! We go back how long? If my post appeared to be doing so, I am sorry.

Justin Volpe, the perpetrator of the crime against Louima, is serving 30 YEARS in prison. I feel ZERO pity for him. He was a steroid head, perverted little Napoleanic scumbag. That was NOT police brutality. It was a sex crime! This little prick set back the cause of NYC police officers to an immeasureable degree, both with the community at large, and at contract time.

That said, please believe that I have arrested persons that, as horrid as his crime was, did far worse, sometimes even to family members, and received less than half of that sentence.

I never said that unions were/are perfect. What I do swear is that NYC police officers could not survive without a labor union. Can you see my point at all?

246642[/snapback]

Sure I can and I understand why the NYPD Officers felt the need to unionize. When your boss is a politician, it's born out of necessity because they govern on the emotion of the populace - who are rarely willing to wait for the facts nor put themselves in the shoes of the people charged with protecting them.

I still have a problem with the "thin blue line" covering for scumbag cops who abuse their authority. I'm not talking about smacking around an obviously guilty perp who needs to be locked up, either.

As for Volpe being a "sex crime", it doesn't look that way from appearance. It seems to fit the standard abuse of power of many of these situations. Any idea what Volpe's previous record was? I don't have a problem with a cop doing extra time, to be perfectly honest. Not twice as much, but I'm not involved in the justice system so I can't say whether that's normal or politically motivated.

What's your take on how the PBA has stood up for Charles Schwarz?

>>>>As for Volpe being a "sex crime", it doesn't look that way from appearance. It seems to fit the standard abuse of power of many of these situations.<<<<<

AD, you are wrong. Please, look at it like this:

1) Have you ever met someone whose ass you would like to beat in? I have!

2) Have you ever met a guy who you wanted to shove a plunger up his ass? I have not.

See what I mean?

>>>>What's your take on how the PBA has stood up for Charles Schwarz?<<<<

I dont know a whole lot about the case, other than the fact that he was tried twice in Federal Court, with 2 hung juries, and the US Atty. was ready to go a third time. Again, this would NOT happen to you.

Also, there was another officer in the area who was his virtual twin. For what very little it is worth, Volpe testified that Schwarz was not in the area where the crime was committed. Schwarz copped, stating that he could not go on with the constant court cases.

To this day, I dont know if he is innocent or guilty. Then again, I was certain that Volpe was innocent. I never would have believed that a police officer would do something this evil, and yes, stupid.

But, to answer your question, I have no problem with the PBA for providing him with lawyers. In NYC, it is mandatory to pay PBA dues, and they are obligated to protect you.

Well, I have to disagree. I spent ten years working for a well known communications company that was and is vehemently non union. I started at an entry level white collar job and moved up to middle management. I left that company to take a UNION  civil service job that required no college education. While it is considered blue collar it definitely involves no physical labor. The benefits are much better- 3times the sick days, double the holidays, and 65% more pay. Now, who is smarter? The white collar college educated me or the blue collar highly paid me? Unions are no joke. That is merely corporate propaganda to ensure that no one is paid what they are worth, and those at the top are paid vastly more than they are worth. White collars are very replaceable- every bit as much as blue collars. The only unreplaceable is the company owner. Period. And lets get in the real world and admit that not every person at the top worked his A$$ off to get there. Luck has a lot to do with success in life. What family you're born into, where you live etc. And yes, I'm from a white suburban family.

246367[/snapback]

So what you're saying is...you're making out like a bandit in your current job. Good for you. Way to help propel the economy with your hard work.

:P

So what you're saying is...you're making out like a bandit in your current job. Good for you. Way to help propel the economy with your hard work.

No sh*t. The whole point of every pro-union post has generally been the same - I get paid a lot more because of my union. Yeah, we understand that people. But do you deserve it?

No sh*t.  The whole point of every pro-union post has generally been the same - I get paid a lot more because of my union. Yeah, we understand that people. But do you deserve it?

248204[/snapback]

Then they can B word because the cost of goods in this country (like cars) have risen far faster than wages.

Want a new truck? Be prepared to spend $40K. Go unions!