Walmart and Unions

millbank

Ahh yes it takes money to invest, and you seem to be under th edellusion that many people here are making enough to invest.

236164[/snapback]

COPOUT.

$80 a month earning 10% interest from the time you are 18 makes you a millionaire at 65.

When I was in the military for five years I made next to nothing while living in one of the highest COL areas in the country. Yet I managed to make ends meet, save a little, and buy my first house. Of course, I worked second jobs when I could and saved every penny I could.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I need my cow and magic beans.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you think it easy finding better work. I have been struggling for over a year to find better work, and I have 2 college degrees, and have graduated with honors. I send out numerous resumes a week, and I try to contact anyone I know who can help me. There are very few opportunites and those that are above average receive 100's of applicants.

Take your heads out of your butts people. The fact is there are not enough good solid jobs around for everyone, and until there are more opportunities created, and sacrafices made at the top more and more people will continue to sink lower and lower into povery or worse. Many companies choose to higher temp workers so they don't have to offer any benefits, and many peopl eaccept these jobs simply because they have no choice.

236174[/snapback]

Better work? You're unemployed. Better work would be any work. How come the great union can't find you work?

I have been on 20 interviews in thelast 6 months and many of these jobs are only offering &12 - $16 an hour with no benefits, or benefits after 120 days.

TAKE ONE OF THEM. TAKE ONE OF THEM and work all day. Then go take out a Student Loan. Take out 10 of them. Then, Work all day, and go to school at night. GET A DEGREE. MAKE YOURSELF A COMMODITY, not a replaceable drone. QUIT BLAMING EVERYONE ELSE.

How's that for heartless America?

What you think it easy finding better work. I have been struggling for over a year to find better work, and I have 2 college degrees, and have graduated with honors. I send out numerous resumes a week, and I try to contact anyone I know who can help me. There are very few opportunites and those that are above average receive 100's of applicants.

Take your heads out of your butts people. The fact is there are not enough good solid jobs around for everyone, and until there are more opportunities created, and sacrafices made at the top more and more people will continue to sink lower and lower into povery or worse. Many companies choose to higher temp workers so they don't have to offer any benefits, and many peopl eaccept these jobs simply because they have no choice.

236174[/snapback]

So work as a temp worker!

236174[/snapback]

So, sacrifices only need to be made "at the top"?

22 pages of jobs open in Buffalo. I would image that an honors student with 2 degrees would qualify for many if not most of them. Perhaps you should focus on your own skills rather than on being bitter about what other people earn.

http://jobsearch.monster.com/jobsearch.asp...1%2C1862%2C1863

236174[/snapback]

Uh-huh. The difference seems to be that I have made myself more marketable then my competitors. Therefore, I had companies competing for my services when I decided to leave my last job. I left because I did not like the way I was being used. Since I always worked to make myself marketable, I had no trouble finding a new job. Again, companies were competing for my services, not me competing against others for the job. Why? Because I EARNED what I have. Hell, I am still getting calls and e-mails from companies wanting me to leave my new job and join their company. They have been tossing out 5 figure salary increases to get me to change companies.

Lesson learned here: make yourself marketable.

Oh, and the number of jobs thingy: when I was looking late last year, I had hundreds to choose from. Do you want me to send you the link to places like Monster and Careerbuilder?

All this and I didn't need a union.

your job can be done in india and the cost could be 1 qt of what you make

236124[/snapback]

The whole point of this discussion is that the responsibility lies with the worker to make them as marketable/in demand as possible.

Employees, whther at the bottom, middle or top of the food chain, are always only as good as the value they can deliver to their employer. If someone can do your job faster/better/cheaper, then it's up to you to acquire better skills, lower your price or do whatever it takes to make the employer choose YOU, over your competitor. That's the dynamic that so many people just want to ignore.

It's funny that this thread is on TSW. Making a roster spot on the Bills is really about labor competition in it's purest form. If a rookie can deliver more value than a 10-year vet, so be it. We're all on board with it and say it's good for the team. When it comes to the "real world," however, the pro-union position would be to protect the vet and say adios to the rook. How does that make the team stronger?

snorom what kind of job are you looking for?

236178[/snapback]

I have a 2 year degree in electro-mechanical systems and 15 years experience as an electronics/robotics technician, and I have a 2 year degree in Computer Information Systems with about 2 - 5 years experience depending on how you look at my work history. I also have my Comptia A+ Certification and Cisco CCNA certification

I would be happy to take a job as an electronics tech, or as an IT/Network administrator or technician. Anything

I have been fortunate to find temporary work a few times this past year, but whenever a good permanent positon is offered up there are 100's of applicants.

It's funny that this thread is on TSW.  Making a roster spot on the Bills is really about labor competition in it's purest form.  If a rookie can deliver more value than a 10-year vet, so be it.  We're all on board with it and say it's good for the team.  When it comes to the "real world," however, the pro-union position would be to protect the vet and say adios to the rook.  How does that make the team stronger?

236187[/snapback]

Great analogy.

Sorry Willis, union rules say that Travis has to be the starter. :ph34r:

TAKE ONE OF THEM. TAKE ONE OF THEM and work all day. Then go take out a Student Loan. Take out 10 of them. Then, Work all day, and go to school at night. GET A DEGREE. MAKE YOURSELF A COMMODITY, not a replaceable drone. QUIT BLAMING EVERYONE ELSE.

How's that for heartless America?

236183[/snapback]

You are ignorant.

I have 2 college degrees and my 2nd degree I graduate with honors fool.

Your stupidity is laughable. You honeslty believe it is only the non educated feeling the pinch. Not only do I have 2 degrees but I have also invested serious time and money into my A+ and CCNA certifications

SO please stop being an ignorant self serving jack ass and try to realize that there is a huge need for corporate America to create better liveable wage jobs.

Why are you so afraid of creating more and better opportunity for the masses ????

It's funny that this thread is on TSW.  Making a roster spot on the Bills is really about labor competition in it's purest form.  If a rookie can deliver more value than a 10-year vet, so be it.  We're all on board with it and say it's good for the team.  When it comes to the "real world," however, the pro-union position would be to protect the vet and say adios to the rook.  How does that make the team stronger?

236187[/snapback]

If the NFL players association wanted to force that issue and have it placed into their bargaining agreement they would, but they haven't for obvious reasons.

Pro football players, especially 10 year vets make more then enough to retire on. The blue collar worker and union guy is required to work 30 years for a company before they have a solid retirement.

The blue collar worker and union guy is required to work 30 years for a company before they have a solid retirement.

236206[/snapback]

No, they are not "required" to work any length of time for anyone. If you hate the corporations you've worked for so much, go out and start your own business, work for yourself. Stop crying like the world owns you a living.

SO please stop being an ignorant self serving jack ass and try to realize that there is a huge need for corporate America to create better liveable wage jobs.

236200[/snapback]

I give up. I'm ignorant because I worked my ass off for two bachelors degrees? I'm ignorant because even though I had 2 degrees, I still took a job as a customer service rep, making sure I was the best frigging one they had, so when my review came around, they would actually listen when i talked about my skills in marketing?

You should be ashamed of this statement:

realize that there is a huge need for corporate America to create better liveable wage jobs.

That is !@#$ PATHETIC. Hey, ya know what? Just keep waiting around. Someone will come knocking on your door offering you your dream job in just a minute now...

:ph34r:

You are ignorant.

I have 2 college degrees and my 2nd degree I graduate with honors fool.

Your stupidity is laughable. You honeslty believe it is only the non educated feeling the pinch. Not only do I have 2 degrees but I have also invested serious time and money into my A+ and CCNA certifications

Why are you so afraid of creating more and better opportunity for the masses ????

236200[/snapback]

You know what? I have a two-year degree, as well. And *I* got laid off earlier this year. Having a degree doesn't entitle you to a job either. What did *I* do?

*I* went out there, while on unemployment, and worked in a sh-- job PT to supplement my unemployment. All the while, *I* cultivated personal contatcts and worked on *MY* resume. *I* took civil service exams. *I WORKED* to find another job.

*I* found one, and at a better employer than my lost job. No union was there to pull my nuts out of the fire, *I* did it for *MYSELF*.

So quityerbitchin and get out there and do it for yourself.

I got laid off 4 months ago from a company I started (go figure). Still haven't found what I'm looking for job wise, but I have been working on projects for other people. I'm also working on starting up about 20 different websites, some big some small. Hopefully in 2 years I'll spend my days golfing and competing with Steve for the most posts here.....

btw - if anyone wants work, I have an unlimited amount of mindless cut and past Internet work for $10 an hour.

I got laid off 4 months ago from a company I started (go figure). Still haven't found what I'm looking for job wise, but I have been working on projects for other people. I'm also working on starting up about 20 different websites, some big some small. Hopefully in 2 years I'll spend my days golfing and competing with Steve for the most posts here.....

btw - if anyone wants work, I have an unlimited amount of mindless cut and past Internet work for $10 an hour.

236214[/snapback]

Can it be done from home?

236214[/snapback]

Wow, you went from unemployed to offering jobs?

Now, gmac, who handed you that opportunity? :ph34r:

Pro football players, especially 10 year vets make more then enough to retire on. The blue collar worker and union guy is required to work 30 years for a company before they have a solid retirement.

236206[/snapback]

Well, I guess it depends on what career you choose. If the barriers to entry are low, and there are many, many more applicants than there are positions available, then that may be the case.

But, I guess my response would be, who forced you to choose that career track? It's not only about education. It's about marketability (that good ol' supply and demand). It's not the employer's fault that 100 applicants line up for a "good" job openning.

Pro football players command high salaries for a reason--they're in short supply. When the opposite situation exists, wages adjust accordingly.