Walmart and Unions

millbank

could someone do your job for a lot less ??????????????????????????

236045[/snapback]

Any job can be done for less. The issue would be can you find anyone willing to do the job for less? If they accept the job at the lower pay, that is their problem not the company's problem. Don't blame the company because the employee is willing to work for that lower salary.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At one branch, I was talking with one of the Customer Services reps, and they mentioned that the tellers are paid the least, but do most of the work at the branches.

236023[/snapback]

I'm sure that's probably the case, as it is in most entities. The military is a good example. The lowest paid easily work the hardest on a daily basis. They're also the easiest to replace. A good manager can do the job of his employees in a pinch, but the same can rarely be said in the other direction.

236045[/snapback]

You basically just disproved your point. Typical blue collar jobs can be eaily replaced with someone else. It is phyical work, and work ethic is really all you need. If someone can do the physical labor, and they have the same work ethic, you are looking at a MUCH higher supply of employees than for any white collar job.

Could someone do MY job for a lot less? They wouldn't. They know what they are worth. They can demand more.

I don't mean to sound like i am demeaning blue collar workers. Working at a computer and coding VB isnt for everyone. But its these blue collar workers who B word and moan that they "need" another $5 an hour, when there is a plethora of other people who would do that job for what they are currently making that would happily take that wage. Again, people feeling like they are owed something.

You know what would happen if i went to my boss and said "ya know, I think i deserve another $5 an hour?". He would ask why, we would talk about it. And if he said "no" and I threatened to "picket" or "go on strike"??? Hahahahah

There would be a want ad for my job in TONIGHTS paper...

I'm sure that's probably the case, as it is in most entities.  The military is a good example.  The lowest paid easily work the hardest on a daily basis.  They're also the easiest to replace.  A good manager can do the job of his employees in a pinch, but the same can rarely be said in the other direction.

236062[/snapback]

Good point.

That's why the union leadership wears $5k suits and travels around in Lehr jets, because they're out there for the common man.  The unions are a microcosm of everything that is wrong with America and they are as singularly responsible for driving up the costs of goods and services as any corporate board you can find - all the while shoveling drivel about helping you out.

They jumped the shark a LONG time ago.

235980[/snapback]

There is SOME corruption in some unions as we see in life whenever money is involved, but the IAM751 (my union) represents over 100,000 of us and 99% of us in the union are extremly thankful. I also don't hear many UAW workers complaining about there situation, among a few others skilled trade labor unions. I've never had a better job then the one I held while working for the IAM751. I was well taken care of, with 2 weeks vacation, holidays, full health/dental, pension, and 401K. I am laid off now, but I have call back rights to my job. I feel very lucky to have this opportunity, and I have received awards for my workmanship, and letters of recommendation from my non-union supervisors.

Your focusing on a few far fetched union negatives, and abandoning all the postivies. I guarentee you'll find a heluva alot more negativity at the top of the ladder when it comes to equality, fairness, and greed. I think you better look at the CEO's and VP's making 100's of thousands to millions a year as the reason why prices are being driven up. I say lets put a salary cap on the ivory tower people and force the money down to the employees who deserve a better livable situation.

Thats what America is supposed to be about. If your willing to get up every morning do your job that makes many other people rich you should get a rock solid livable wage. No one should be told to stop living beyond their means, sell your used car and ride a bike to work. Nobody should be laidoff from a job while CEO's rake in huge bonuses.

Its time for Amercia to re-unionize itself. Too much corporate greed is happening and its effecting the middle and lower class workers.

I was talking with one of the Customer Services reps, and they mentioned that the tellers are paid the least, but do most of the work at the branches.

236023[/snapback]

That's not the point. Wages aren't determined by how much work someone does. They're established by supply and demand. If there's a large supply of individuals willing to take $8 per hour, then that's what the pay will be, regardless of how difficult the job requirements are.

I'm not denegrating tellers. They work hard for their money and almost all do a good job. But the economic value tellers deliver processing transactions pales in comparison to the revenue generated by platform sales reps, branch managers or relationship managers (whose training, education and specialized skills allow them to earn higher salaries because the profit contribution they deliver is proportionately higher).

Thats what America is supposed to be about.

236072[/snapback]

No, actually America is about working hard to achieve all of the things you seem so jealous of with the "ivory tower types." Some people B word about not getting that stuff. Others work to achieve it.

There is SOME corruption in some unions as we see in life whenever money is involved, but the IAM751 (my union) represents over 100,000 of us and 99% of us in the union are extremly thankful. I also don't hear many UAW workers complaining about there situation, among a few others skilled trade labor unions. I've never had a better job then the one I held while working for the IAM751. I was well taken care of, with 2 weeks vacation, holidays, full health/dental, pension, and 401K. I am laid off now, but I have call back rights to my job. I feel very lucky to have this opportunity, and I have received awards for my workmanship, and letters of recommendation from my non-union supervisors.

Your focusing on a few far fetched union negatives, and abandoning all the postivies. I guarentee you'll find a heluva alot more negativity at the top of the ladder when it comes to equality, fairness, and greed. I think you better look at the CEO's and VP's making 100's of thousands to millions a year as the reason why prices are being driven up. I say lets put a salary cap on the ivory tower people and force the money down to the employees who deserve a better livable situation.

Thats what America is supposed to be about. If your willing to get up every morning do your job that makes many other people rich you should get a rock solid livable wage. No one should be told to stop living beyond their means, sell your used car and ride a bike to work. Nobody should be laidoff from a job while CEO's rake in huge bonuses.

Its time for Amercia to re-unionize itself. Too much corporate greed is happening and its effecting the middle and lower class workers.

236072[/snapback]

You can call it what you want but I deal with Unions from a management perspective and your arguments are pretty much the norm for those who empathize with them. "The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Without them I'd be in a soup kitchen."

I've never worked in a company that didn't offer the same things you think the union is providing for you.

Corporations are greedy but unions (which are in fact corporations) are filled with the utmost integrity. Got it. :ph34r:

The world needs ditchdiggers...

236045[/snapback]

Obviously. Anyone's job could be done by someone else who is more experienced/qualified IF that person was willing to accept less money. But because I am paid a fair market value wage in the first place (and not some artifically inflated number that a union extorted out of my company), it is far less likely that anyone at a similar experience level would be willing to do my job and be paid significantly less.

Any job can be done for less. The issue would be can you find anyone willing to do the job for less? If they accept the job at the lower pay, that is their problem not the company's problem. Don't blame the company because the employee is willing to work for that lower salary.

236061[/snapback]

so when GE laid off all its older and more costly managers to hire less costly people, good for GE . the old managers should not have gone to court and filed a claim for age disscrimation . they all should have said good for GE they can make more money with us out of there . GE lays off all its payroll people and moves to florida for 2 years to save money paying $8 to $10 per hr . now they moved to india and pay them even less . good for the big GE, bad for the american worker. now GE makes BILLIONS of dollars why not keep the work here annd make a million less ?

Actually, I was involved in a rollout to one of our local banks that has branches throughout NY. At one branch, I was talking with one of the Customer Services reps, and they mentioned that the tellers are paid the least, but do most of the work at the branches.

236023[/snapback]

That's the way it's SUPPOSED to work.

GE lays off all its payroll people and moves to florida for 2 years to save money  paying $8 to $10 per hr . now they moved to india and pay them even less . good for the big GE, bad for the american worker. now GE makes BILLIONS of dollars  why not keep the work here annd make a million less ?

236099[/snapback]

Those people need to become less disposable. Lesson learned.

so when GE laid off all its older and more costly managers to hire less costly people, good for GE . the old managers should not have gone to court and filed a claim for age disscrimation . they all should have said good for GE they can make more money with us out of there . GE lays off all its payroll people and moves to florida for 2 years to save money  paying $8 to $10 per hr . now they moved to india and pay them even less . good for the big GE, bad for the american worker. now GE makes BILLIONS of dollars  why not keep the work here annd make a million less ?

236099[/snapback]

So lightbulbs don't cost $35.

so when GE laid off all its older and more costly managers to hire less costly people, good for GE . the old managers should not have gone to court and filed a claim for age disscrimation . they all should have said good for GE they can make more money with us out of there . GE lays off all its payroll people and moves to florida for 2 years to save money  paying $8 to $10 per hr . now they moved to india and pay them even less . good for the big GE, bad for the american worker. now GE makes BILLIONS of dollars  why not keep the work here annd make a million less ?

236099[/snapback]

You seem to have a tough time grasping the concept of how businesses work. They are not charity organizations. Their purpose is to make money. If you have disposable people, whose fault is that? The people that made themselves disposable or the company?

$2 for four and they make money do it in china and they make lots of money . how much profit do they have to make . they even pay for JACK W. news paper

236117[/snapback]

And Jack W brought more BILLIONS to GE's bottom line than any other person in that behemoth of a company through his six sigma ideas and innovative management.

You basically just disproved your point. Typical blue collar jobs can be eaily replaced with someone else. It is phyical work, and work ethic is really all you need. If someone can do the physical labor, and they have the same work ethic, you are looking at a MUCH higher supply of employees than for any white collar job.

Could someone do MY job for a lot less? They wouldn't.  They know what they are worth.  They can demand more. 

I don't mean to sound like i am demeaning blue collar workers. Working at a computer and coding VB isnt for everyone.  But its these blue collar workers who B word and moan that they "need" another $5 an hour, when there is a plethora of other people who would do that job for what they are currently making that would happily take that wage. Again, people feeling like they are owed something.

You know what would happen if i went to my boss and said "ya know, I think i deserve another $5 an hour?". He would ask why, we would talk about it. And if he said "no" and I threatened to "picket" or "go on strike"??? Hahahahah

There would be a want ad for my job in TONIGHTS paper...

236064[/snapback]

your job can be done in india and the cost could be 1 qt of what you make

If my company thought it was cost effective enough to consider taking my job and shipping it to India, knowing it would still get done properly, and with the same quality, I would be PISSED, but there's no way I could blame the company.

That, and I know I have a couple of degrees, a bit of experience and I don't have a "whoa is me" attitude, and I would go out and find another job.

Look at your job. Is it disposable? Could any grown adult do your job with very minimal training and no education? If so, you might wanna think about making yourself less disposable.

God, I can't stand this "it's everybody else's fault but mine" attitude. I may have to burn my voter's registration card after this thread! :ph34r: