Walmart and Unions

millbank

No one could successfully argue this so it's a great way to end the thread.. IMO :)

235919[/snapback]

Yeah those people who cannot afford health insurance, a car to get to a decent job, money to put in a retirement fund, a house, and other basic living expenses.

Let the corporations milk the people for what they can. Thats why our system is failing as much as it is. Keep the wealth at the top, create desperation, and competiton at the lower half so people would be willing to jump though a flaming hoop to get that 1 job.

All always be pro-union. I've seen enough stupidity and evil doings from those in the tower and wallstreet to realize it is one of the few ways most of us have at getting our share. I've worked 50 - 80 hour weeks for over half of my professional career to have a few extra bucks. I pay all my bills and I have not been on a vacation in over 5 years. I was given time and half for hours over 40, double time on Sundays, and triple time on holidays. That's fair. After all those hours and decent paychecks I have just enough to put a few bucks away, keep my used cars running, put some money into my home, keep the shelves moderately stocked with food and have a decent Christmas. I can not see how getting people solid benefits and higher wages is a bad thing for anyone.

Too much greed at the top of the ladder, and the people who are fighting for $15, $20, and $30 hr wages with solid benefits deserve every penny !!!!! This contry does not work without people on the bottom so its time to make sure the wealth is shared. If you want to make more then you work harder and work your way up, but basic living in this country should include more then "downgrade to a bicycle and huff it to work" mentality. That thought disgusts me.

Unions have their pros and cons, but I belong to local IAM751 and I thank the higher power every single day that I have them. Without them I wouldn't have call back rights to my high payin job, I wouldn't have 2 weeks vacation and I wouldn't have a pension plan, or health insurance for my family.

I guess what disgusts me the most is the way too many candy asses subscribe to the thought process of the wealthy.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah those people who cannot afford health insurance, a car to get to a decent job, money to put in a retirement fund, a house, and other basic living expenses.

Let the corporations milk the people for what they can. Thats why our system is failing as much as it is. Keep the wealth at the top, create desperation, and competiton at the lower half so people would be willing to jump though a flaming hoop to get that 1 job.

All always be pro-union. I've seen enough stupidity and evil doings from those in the tower and wallstreet to realize it is one of the few ways most of us have at getting our share. I've worked 50 - 80 hour weeks for over half of my professional career to have a few extra bucks. I pay all my bills and I have not been on a vacation in over 5 years. I was given time and half for hours over 40,  double time on Sundays, and triple time on holidays. That's fair. After all those hours and decent paychecks I have just enough to put a few bucks away, keep my used cars running, put some money into my home, keep the shelves moderately stocked with food and have a decent Christmas. I can not see how getting people solid benefits and higher wages is a bad thing for anyone.

Too much greed at the top of the ladder, and the people who are fighting for $15, $20, and $30 hr wages with solid benefits deserve every penny !!!!! This contry does not work without people on the bottom so its time to make sure the wealth is shared. If you want to make more then you work harder and work your way up, but basic living in this country should include more then "downgrade to a bicycle and huff it to work" mentality. That thought disgusts me.

Unions have their pros and cons, but I belong to local IAM751 and I thank the higher power every single day that I have them. Without them I wouldn't have call back rights to my high payin job, I wouldn't have 2 weeks vacation and I wouldn't have a pension plan, or health insurance for my family.

I guess what disgusts me the most is the way too many candy asses subscribe to the thought process of the wealthy.

235956[/snapback]

Great post. I have worked in management all of my life, but my father was president of his union and my grandfather was the founder of his union. Unions over the years have caused problems, but if not for them, I don't think that most people would have 40 hr work weeks, medical insurance and retirement plans.

235956[/snapback]

That's why the union leadership wears $5k suits and travels around in Lehr jets, because they're out there for the common man. The unions are a microcosm of everything that is wrong with America and they are as singularly responsible for driving up the costs of goods and services as any corporate board you can find - all the while shoveling drivel about helping you out.

They jumped the shark a LONG time ago.

Damn, you and LA are agreeing. Is this the first sign of the apocolypse?  :ph34r:

I agree with both of you. There are people who earn what they have, and others who expect things to be handed to them. I never expect ANYTHING to be handed to me. I worked for everything I have and am damn proud of that. If I was not happy with the working conditions or pay, I ask for changes. If I do not receive those changes, I leave and get another job. It is their loss, not mine. Again, I do not need a crutch to get through life and I do not want a crutch to get through life and it seems like too many people rely on the crutch that is the unions.

235599[/snapback]

I have an interesting union story:

When I worked for EDS at PPL, on one of my first days I set about to move computers, taking the initiative for something that needed to be done.

Mind you I'd been there about a week. The IBEW reps went straight to my supervisor and told him that I was doing THEIR work. I was officially reprimanded by my boss in fron of these two fat, lazy, worthless IBEW fargs. And for what?

SHOWING INITIATIVE.

Fug unions. They're for the 19th century, NOT the 21st.

That's an excellent way to run a business.  Ask a low skilled employee what they should be making...  :ph34r:

235989[/snapback]

Actually, I was involved in a rollout to one of our local banks that has branches throughout NY. At one branch, I was talking with one of the Customer Services reps, and they mentioned that the tellers are paid the least, but do most of the work at the branches.

no it is not . it is worth a lot more than that , just ask a teller

235984[/snapback]

Uh, just because YOU think it's worth more than $8 per hour doesn't make it so.

I work in a bank. I know tellers personally and professionally. $8 per hour is an appropriate figure.

If a teller thinks they can/should make more than that, they're free to post for another position within the bank (assuming they qualify) or go elsewhere. Ten other applicants will be waiting to take their position when they leave.

Actually, I was involved in a rollout to one of our local banks that has branches throughout NY. At one branch, I was talking with one of the Customer Services reps, and they mentioned that the tellers are paid the least, but do most of the work at the branches.

236023[/snapback]

and they have to deal with a lot of !@#$s :ph34r:

no it is not . it is worth a lot more than that , just ask a teller

235984[/snapback]

The teller already answered that question when they accepted the job at that salary. You are worth what someone else is willing (not forced) to pay you for your services.

The teller already answered that question when they accepted the job at that salary.  You are worth what someone else is willing (not forced) to pay you for your services.

236033[/snapback]

could someone do your job for a lot less ??????????????????????????

"Tellers are worth more than $8/hour"

"Tellers are paid the least, but do most of the work at the branches."

What do either of these mean? A teller is worth only $8 an hour, because anyone with a high school degree and half a brain could be trained to be a bank teller.

And they "do the most work". This kind of statement makes me laugh. Does this mean they work the most hours? Does this mean they have the most physical demands?

The idea of "doing the most work" is relative. Especially when you are talking white collar jobs.

could someone do your job for a lot less ??????????????????????????

Could you do his job for less? probably.

Would your work be any good? Probably not.

Could I do his job for less? probably.

Would my work be any good? No.