Walmart and Unions

millbank

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For example? All of my personal benefits are paid by my employer, so I would like to know some examples of how we are benefiting from unions?

lets say unions never got started , do you really think that you company would be giving you the benefits that you have or would they say no benefits for you because GM and all the other big corp. are not paying them why should we . that is how YOU benefit from unions. YOU are just looking at to days way of living .

Does this sound like something a Democrat would say:

"What about that? This may sound crass, but is it my fault that the grocery store cashier is stuck doing that job? No. Nobody hands you anything. If people don't like working 32 hours because the employer won't give them another 8 to have to pay them benefits, ya know what they should do? Get another job. I know its not as easy as that. Want results? Work hard. Don't blame the rest of the world. "

I'm very suprised :)

lets say unions never got started , do you really think that you company would be giving you the benefits that you have or would they say no benefits for you because GM and all the other big corp. are not paying them why should we . that is how YOU benefit from unions. YOU are just looking at to days way of living .

235629[/snapback]

HEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO?????

I have said several times that yes, unions laid a nice groundwork. They basically set the standard of how campanies now should treat their employees. However, they have done their job. They are dated, and not relevant in the 21st century.

You keep coming back with this same argument, and I keep replying the same.

PLEASE, tell me why we STILL need unions besides making sure some guy who has no other skills besides putting a certain bolt on a transmission can make $25/hour?

Unions had a place, way back when, to give an employee a voice when they were woefully underpaid and made to work in unsafe working conditions. Those days are for the most part behind us. Unions are antiquated and are only going after Walmart and others to replace dwindling membership roles. Thanks unions, for vacations and other bennies, now reform yourselves or prepare to be fazed out of existence.

235539[/snapback]

Well, there are some working class folks out there, who might argue, that those days you refer to are upon us again! Unions may be antiquated, but the need for them, or something like them, is growing!

And WHY was this done?  Because thanks to unions, the company wasn't able to employ Americans to make the shoes unless they paid them $25/hour plus benefits.

How can you pretend that the union shakedowns have NO impact on a business?

235605[/snapback]

why is it that they have to make $ 95 dollars on a pair of shoes , to pay some dick head $100,000,000.00 to do ads on tv.

HEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO?????

I have said several times that yes, unions laid a nice groundwork. They basically set the standard of how campanies now should treat their employees. However, they have done their job. They are dated, and not relevant in the 21st century.

You keep coming back with this same argument, and I keep replying the same.

PLEASE, tell me why we STILL need unions besides making sure some guy who has no other skills besides putting a certain bolt on a transmission can make $25/hour?

235637[/snapback]

its called making a living wage .

Well, there are some working class folks out there, who might argue, that those days you refer to are upon us again!  Unions may be antiquated, but the need for them, or something like them, is growing!

235638[/snapback]

Guess you've never heard of OSHA? Or the right for an injured party to seek redress through the courts? Please enlighten us to how the need for Unions is growing, with some examples, please.

why is it that they have to make $ 95 dollars on a pair of shoes , to pay some dick head $100,000,000.00 to do ads on tv.

235640[/snapback]

So, basically, from reading your posts, what you are saying is you are jealous of white collar people who are making more money that you. You feel you are owed something because you work with your hands and not your mind?

Here ya go:

list of colleges for advertising:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=of...rtising&spell=1

DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Don't be pissed because some "dick" worked his ass off to get paid millions to make TV commercials.

No, instead, B word to your union. Go on strike. The fact is, the factory workers who make the sneakers are REPLACEABLE. The man who put together the idea of how to trigger a "buy response" from consumers is NOT. And believe me, he wasn't handed that job.

This is the problem. Everyone is OWED something.... please.

235629[/snapback]

Actually, yes. It is well documented that Henry Ford paid his auto workers $5 per day, a sum that was WAAAY above the existing wage levels of the day. He did it to inspire loyalty, reduce turnover (and thus cost) and thus improve productivity.

He didn't need to be forced by some greedy, corrupt union.

And anyway, what does any of that have to do with reality in the 21th Century?

Actually, yes.  It is well documented that Henry Ford paid his auto workers $5 per day, a sum that was WAAAY above the existing wage levels of the day.  He did it to inspire loyalty, reduce turnover (and thus cost) and thus improve productivity.

He didn't need to be forced by some greedy, corrupt union.

And anyway, what does any of that have to do with reality in the 21th Century?

235656[/snapback]

you quoted me, and i didn't say that.. please fix the tags.

I see the pro's and cons of unions listed here....and I am sure they all have merit....

my only experience with a Union was when I was working at a University and released by a employer for one incident that was clearly not my fault.

I went to my union for help....they got me 2 weeks of severence pay. Thank you Union but I kinda needed my job right before Christmas

So, basically, from reading your posts, what you are saying is you are jealous of white collar people who are making more money that you. You feel you are owed something because you work with your hands and not your mind?

Here ya go:

list of colleges for advertising:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=of...rtising&spell=1

235647[/snapback]

the white collar guy cann't do sh-- with his hands . his brain power would be useless with out the guy to put the car together . not jealous at all . everyone has there place in life ..GE is sending lots of white collar jobs over seas and what will that white collar guy do when his job is gone ???????????????

I see the pro's and cons of unions listed here....and I am sure they all have merit....

my only experience with a Union was when I was working at a University and released by a employer for one incident that was clearly not my fault.

I went to my union for help....they got me 2 weeks of severence pay.  Thank you Union but I kinda needed my job right before Christmas

235662[/snapback]

That right there is another huge problem with unions. I'm not referring to your case, but companies are afraid to fire people who might even be incompotent because they then have to deal with the union.

I think teachers being in a union is absolutely absurd.

the white collar guy cann't do sh-- with his hands . his brain power would be useless with out the guy to put the car together .

235672[/snapback]

This statement is broad, general, and so wrong on so many different levels I don't even know where to start. You don't really believe that, do you?

the white collar guy cann't do sh-- with his hands . his brain power would be useless with out the guy to put the car together . not jealous at all . everyone has there place in life ..GE is sending lots of white collar jobs over seas and what will that white collar guy do when his job is gone ???????????????

235672[/snapback]

This post makes me realize you just don't get it. You obviously want things handed to you because you make a living with your hands.

The white collars brain power would be useless without the guy to put the car together? Ok. Then we'll find another guy who can do it. A guy that doesn't need a union, and will work for a FAIR wage.

And you say where would the white collar guy be without the blue collar guy? Well, where would these guys who decided college wasn't for them (and who wouldn't when you can make $20 an hour putting a bolt on a piece of metal) without the WHITE COLLARS TO OFFER THEM A JOB?

edit: I realize this was a very generalized statement and I didn't mean it like that. It shouldn't say "who decided not to go to college". It should say "who decided he didn't want to work to get to where he really wants to be".

Welcome to the 21st century. Unions are a joke.