Projecting contracts for upcoming Bills FAs

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's probably very close to the reality of what it will take to re-sign all three. It is going to be very tough. Not picking up Harvin's option will free up $8M and restructuring Clay's roster bonus to a signing bonus will free up $7.5M in 2016. The Bills will still have a ways to go to fit all three under the cap.

That Dareus projection is a doozy

Yeah. That might be a fair bit high. Suh's contract is freaking ridiculous. No way I go near that. OTOH if they are accurate for Glenn, I do that without blinking. Fans of teams with good LT play don't realize what a disaster it is without it. Edited by BarleyNY

Yeah. That might be a fair bit high. Suh's contract is freaking ridiculous. No way I go near that. OTOH if they are accurate for Glenn, I do that without blinking. Fans of teams with good LT play don't realize what a disaster it is without it.

Agreed. Glenn's I do immediately and I also would take the estimate for Bradham. Here's hoping the cap goes up pretty high. Also I think McKelvin is going to be gone if the Dareus estimate is right.

Edited by YattaOkasan

I have an unsettling thought. Things would work out pretty well with the cap if the team has already has decided they can't pay Dareus. They could re-sign Bradham, Glenn and do a long term deal with Gilmore if they let Dareus walk. I wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't have signed Clay or traded for Shady and given him his huge deal. Nor would I have signed Harvin for that matter. I'd have used that money to try and get a new deal done with Dareus this past offseason, then used the leftover for some reasonably priced players at RB and TE.

They restructure Mario, Clay, and Harvin (if they keep him the second year), release Leodis with Darby coming on, and sign Gilmore to a long term deal and we can probably keep them all. That would limit the possibility of acquiring a new QB except for a #1 draft pick.

They restructure Mario, Clay, and Harvin (if they keep him the second year), release Leodis with Darby coming on, and sign Gilmore to a long term deal and we can probably keep them all. That would limit the possibility of acquiring a new QB except for a #1 draft pick.

if that's the case I would be elated. My preference is to draft a QB in the 1st (unless EJ or TT all of a sudden emerge as playoff/franchise QBs this season).

No way those numbers work out. Besides that, restructuring just kicks money into future years and a team can only do so much of it before creating bigger problems..

i think trading bradham is the move...could we get a 1st and parlay it into a qb next year?

Who's giving up a 1st for Bradham? Not that the Bills could even trade him after this season as his contract will expire then.

No way those numbers work out. Besides that, restructuring just kicks money into future years and a team can only do so much of it before creating bigger problems..

Agreed, I also don't see how we resign everyone and keep Harvin. I am still very skeptical Harvin can be healthy all season.

The X-factor that is not being considered is what the cap will be next year. I believe they are projecting it will go up like over $10,000,000 from 2015 to 2016, which of course makes signing these players substantially easier. http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2015/3/19/8254541/buffalo-bills-2016-salary-cap-space-projection. As this article points out, of course, the Bills still will have a situation, but redoing the percy and clay deals will add around another 15 mill, plus the 8 mil projected here, and you are looking at 23 mil not including anything that can be done with Mario.

Besides, look at what the Saints have done; it doesn't matter how little cap space you have, you can just sign everyone to back-loaded deals and just assume the cap will keep going up to bail you out.

I will say this right now, there is absolutely no chance Dareus walks. None. Unless he doesn't want to stay of course, but all signs show him wanting to remain in Buffalo. You have to wonder how much of that is the Rex Effect.

Edited by Oberyn

I just have a feeling Mario doesn't get restructured. He has 3 years left on his deal and will be 33 when it expires. I just don't see it happening. Kyle Williams will probably be gone in 2-3 years....McKelvin, Freddie.....contracts expire and players leave...there will be cap room if they want to re-sign these guys....Some say not to pay Dareus Suh money but you know that's what his agent is asking for and the main reason he has not been re-signed at this point.

I suspect Dareus is going to want something equivalent to Suh, so we will see if settles for less, but he should clearly be the top priority. I think he is a better all around player and a case could be made for that. Gilmore will be the toughest to sign I think. Top CBs command stupid money. It is going to be tough to keep him if he has a strong year this year.

I suspect Dareus is going to want something equivalent to Suh, so we will see if settles for less, but he should clearly be the top priority. I think he is a better all around player and a case could be made for that. Gilmore will be the toughest to sign I think. Top CBs command stupid money. It is going to be tough to keep him if he has a strong year this year.

I think Gilmore is signed for 2015 and 2016.

I think playing for Rex will be a big plus for players wanting to stay here.

They can compare good cop , bad cop ( Marrone )

It will make a small difference. Money matters most.

Dareus is the priority to the point I don't even care that much about the other two. Especially if we can develop one of last year's OT picks into being an effective LT. Bradham is turning a corner, but could also be replaced by a high round LB pick if need be. So... back a dump truck of cash up to Dareus's home and then go from there.

On a side note, it annoys me that these analysts don't use a better video capture system than pointing a video camera at an app :|