Bills Fans Ranked 28th

As brutal as this article was, it should be noted that this, and the study it references, is entirely about marketing strategy, brand equity, and what it refers to as "fan equity." And, while it claims to adjust for market size, and income disparity among fans, as well as other economic factors, it only does so in a way that is relevant to marketing. There is no real metric for quality, or the "hard-core" nature of fandom beyond a fans reliability as a profit center.

And so, Buffalo fans are not the most reliable profit centers in the sports entertainment business. Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse ME!!!

Then call it something else.

Or, keep the metric, but qualify it as a ratio to wins/playoff appearances/pro bowl players, et al.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then they suck at business.

That's probably why they teach!

(I assume. the study was published by Emory University)

(At least they don't teach gym.)

(Then again, if they did teach gym, they might have a better understanding of what a "fan" is.)

(No offense to teachers...)

Edited by Rocky Landing

My team??

Insane!!

Have been going to a Bills bar for five years to watch my Boys and the Bills at the same time. Bills fans there cheer harder being behind 21 points than the Cowboys fans there cheer being ahead 21 points.

I went to a NE game during the early 90s and the place was half full. Boton is a great sports town if you are the Red Sox or the Celtics. Before Brady the Pats were always 3rd fiddle.

Exactly. They're not 3rd fiddle anymore. Because of their current dynasty, they'll be just as ingrained and iconic as the Red Sox, Celtics, and Bruins.

They had never had sustained success until the late 90s. Nothing to build from like they do now.

Exactly. They're not 3rd fiddle anymore. Because of their current dynasty, they'll be just as ingrained and iconic as the Red Sox, Celtics, and Bruins.

They had never had sustained success until the late 90s. Nothing to build from like they do now.

I think you'll get some push back on this assertion. I don't believe they'll maintain any level of preference once the fans can't sit back, relax and let the 12-4 seasons take care of themselves. It'll go back to being a hockey/baseball/basketball town.

I went to a NE game during the early 90s and the place was half full. Boton is a great sports town if you are the Red Sox or the Celtics. Before Brady the Pats were always 3rd fiddle.

Before Bledsoe, the Patriots were a distant 4th fiddle. Edited by metzelaars_lives

Don't forget that the Bills were one of very few teams that have had blackouts in recent years due to insufficient ticket sales. If you are some weanie just looking casually at facts that will support your argument, then that fact alone will sink the status of the Bills fan base.

I know, I know... big stadium, bad weather, lousy team. Jacksonville tarps over seats to reduce their stadium capacity, etc., etc.

I'm just sayin'...

Hmm, a pseudo-scholarly article that looked at revenue, but didn't consider the ratio of attendance to market size? Of course the larger cities can charge more as you ought to be able to max out supply with equivalent or smaller stadiums in markets 4+ times the size of Buffalo. It is truly remarkable that a depressed market this size can fill one of the larger stadiums with for a consistently below average team at any ticket price

Nothing says how good fans are like 15 years of team record!! As someone that used to do stuff like this for a living this survey is an absolute joke and would be laughed at by anyone in the real world. Let's keep in perspective that it is conducted by a bunch of students with ZERO experience in the industry (at least I think but I only glanced at it). This is like a medical survey from a medical student. The data is useless.

Teams are focused on engaging their market in a down time, % of expendable income in a market that team gets, gate receipts (not # of seats), TV ratings, etc... How is a team record indicative of fan support? That is one of the stupidest things that I have ever read.

One more thing, they factor in social media following (not engagement)!! I follow the Patriots does that make me a Pats fan?!?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Don't forget that the Bills were one of very few teams that have had blackouts in recent years due to insufficient ticket sales. If you are some weanie just looking casually at facts that will support your argument, then that fact alone will sink the status of the Bills fan base.

I know, I know... big stadium, bad weather, lousy team. Jacksonville tarps over seats to reduce their stadium capacity, etc., etc.

I'm just sayin'...

As if there is one team in the entire NFL that wouldn't have had a few blackouts if they endured the last decade and a half that Bills fans have. Perhaps if we cheer really loudly this season, us and those lame Chiefs fans can aspire to be as good as those wild and crazy Falcons fans.

The term they coin, "Fan Equity," is the measure of a team's actual revenues versus the "forecasted revenues" of the team based on the team's performance.

Forecasted revenues are calculated by some algorithm they've created.

Curiously, they've concluded that if their forecast is wrong, it's the fault of the fans. It's not because their algorithm is wrong.

But I would suggest the algorithm is flawed. For example, they look at median income but they should look at disposable income. Disposable income is comparatively low in Buffalo. Lots of people in WNY live paycheck to paycheck and can't reasonably be expected to spend money at the Ralph. When disposable income is low, luxury expenses are curtailed.

Here's another way to rank fans, one that favors Buffalo. Let's measure what percentage of the population is at the game site on game day.

For example, in the old days when the stadium held 80,000 there would be maybe 20,000 more in the parking lot. 100,000 at the game site when metro Buffalo has a population of only about one million! In other words, 10% of the population is at the game site (ignoring the fact some of the fans aren't local).

That 10% score would only be beaten by Green Bay. Chicago or NY wouldn't come close. Here in Seattle, only about 2% of the population shows up at the game site on a home game day. Buffalo rocks.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I have been an avid Bills since '63 and I live in NJ/NY area. Having gone to Jets/Giant games as well as traveling to Buffalo regularly I can honestly say Bills Fans are so much better, it is not even close. I say we have to be top 5 in league along with Steelers, Cowboys,Seahawks, and maybe Packers.

They lost me at prices and revenues

The term they coin, "Fan Equity," is the measure of a team's actual revenues versus the "forecasted revenues" of the team based on the team's performance.

Forecasted revenues are calculated by some algorithm they've created.

Curiously, they've concluded that if their forecast is wrong, it's the fault of the fans. It's not because their algorithm is wrong.

But I would suggest the algorithm is flawed. For example, they look at median income but they should look at disposable income. Disposable income is comparatively low in Buffalo. Lots of people in WNY live paycheck to paycheck and can't reasonably be expected to spend money at the Ralph. When disposable income is low, luxury expenses are curtailed.

Here's another way to rank fans, one that favors Buffalo. Let's measure what percentage of the population is at the game site on game day.

For example, in the old days when the stadium held 80,000 there would be maybe 20,000 more in the parking lot. 100,000 at the game site when metro Buffalo has a population of only about one million! In other words, 10% of the population is at the game site (ignoring the fact some of the fans aren't local).

That 10% score would only be beaten by Green Bay. Chicago or NY wouldn't come close. Here in Seattle, only about 2% of the population shows up at the game site on a home game day. Buffalo rocks.

There's that, and then when the team was respectable on a pleasant day, if you weren't at the game you could follow it while taking a walk - every freaking radio (and TV if televised) in the neighborhood was tuned to the game.

This is the most moronic article I've ever read ranking th E BILLS AS #28! Are you f%*}^#ing kidding me? I haven't lived in Buffalo since I was 23 and I fly my boys up to the home opener every year.

They placed the Bucs at 21. I live in Tampa. I like and follow the Bucs but the fans aren't even in the same zip code.

The best fans I've always heard and believe are the Bills, Browns, Steelers, Packers, and Chiefs.

We are loyal, fanatics, truly depressed when they lose, and jubilant when they win. We have fans equal of "Roll Tide" Alabama fans. It is a religion in Alabama. I've had reps managing that are for 12 years and they get it. They live for their team.

The author is a tool!

God I'm pissed! Sorry now ranting. Tell us we have a bad QB, not made the playoffs in 15 years, tease us about four missed SB, but damnit, don't you ever defame the greatest fans who love their team more than any city in the NFL. Maybe Pittsburgh and GB, but don't you ever say we are not the best.

They just give a damn how much money a team brings in. What a freakin stupid approach to talk about loyalty and fandemonium. God I wish there was a reply to author on this one.

Ok, time for a drink!

I lived in Boston during the first Super Bowl run in 01-02. That's city's collective reaction was, and I quote:

"Hubba-WHAAAA??? We have a football team!?!"

I will give Boston their due, though, great baseball town. I lived in Kenmore Square during that same time period, prior to the WS run in 04 and went to more Red Sox games than I could count. It was like getting master's degree in baseball.

Edited by jimmy10

Idiotic article. You're only an avid fan if you're "willing to shell out thousands of dollars for tickets". About the most asinine statement I've ever read. Come to Lincoln Station in Chicago for the first game of the season and tell me that there aren't avid Bills fans there. It will be wall to wall Bills jerseys!

Solid Bills Backers of Chicago plug! Now someone talk about how only an amazing fan base would inspire a bunch of fans in Chicago to start the entertaining and informed Bills and Beers podcast!!

(Attention whore)

Also, I puke on that article.