Tyrod Taylor: 'May the Best Man Win'

Thanks for posting that. Interesting that he said the run game is entirely new (1:23) to him but he knew most of the passing game based on Kubiak's version of the West Coast offense versus Roman's version. I would have thought he would be as familiar with both run and pass.

He could. Never had the opportunity in his career until now. Tyrod showed flashes over the years in preseason games with the Ravens. I still wouldn't be surprised if EJ beats him out.

My prediction is:

EJ starter

Tyrod #2

Simms #3

Cassel gets cut, his money gets allocated to resigning Dareus.

Edited by KollegeStudnet

Thanks for posting that. Interesting that he said the run game is entirely new (1:23) to him but he knew most of the passing game based on Kubiak's version of the West Coast offense versus Roman's version. I would have thought he would be as familiar with both run and pass.

The West Coast principles only apply to the passing game. The route combinations, labels, and all that. Even then, Taylor said there were some concepts he was unfamiliar with, or needed to brush up on.

Speaks to what we've heard about the depth of Roman's playbook. It's a biggy. The scheme is multiple, utilizing many different concepts from all the basic schemes. That's the new NFL.

Handled that interview very well. Acknowledged the competition but was respectful of the other 2 (3) QB. Could tell in his voice, he's been waiting for this shot a long time and is living his dream. Win it or not, he got his shot.

Bring on TC and Pre-Season.

Can Taylor play any other position, if he does not win the starting job? What are the chances he gets spot duty as a gadget at QB, RB or WR? Will there be plays when he and EJ are both on the field? I am hardly calling for any of this, but I am curious. I sense the potential for some real creativity on offense, especially given the way the defense performed last year after turnovers and three and outs. They have the players to do some interesting things. It's very exciting.

Edited by TheJuice

He could. Never had the opportunity in his career until now. Tyrod showed flashes over the years in preseason games with the Ravens. I still wouldn't be surprised if EJ beats him out.

My prediction is:

EJ starter

Tyrod #2

Simms #3

Cassel will not be cut, he is the vet QB this team has lacked in recent years who can mentor the young QBs on the roster or start if needed. They felt having a vet QB was so important last year that they had to beg and overpay Orton to come out of retirement so does anyone really think they go into this season with EJ, Tyrod, and Simms?

Cassel is also in the last year of his contract so cutting him most likely wouldn't impact the extension for Dareus much since his cap hit most likely wouldn't increase this year.

My prediction is:

EJ starter

Tyrod #2

Simms #3

+1

Taylor is the fastest guy of the group, no doubt. He's not a good passer though which is concerning. If he's behind center and I'm the opposing DC, I put 8 or 9 guys in the box every time and make him beat me with his arm. I'm not sure that he's capable of doing that. Now I don't care who wins the starting job at the end of the day. Truly, the best guy should win. Personally, I don't see Cassel winning the job outright. He's a known commodity. The only way he's the starter IMO is if both Manuel and Taylor look weak.

Taylor is the fastest guy of the group, no doubt. He's not a good passer though which is concerning. If he's behind center and I'm the opposing DC, I put 8 or 9 guys in the box every time and make him beat me with his arm. I'm not sure that he's capable of doing that. Now I don't care who wins the starting job at the end of the day. Truly, the best guy should win. Personally, I don't see Cassel winning the job outright. He's a known commodity. The only way he's the starter IMO is if both Manuel and Taylor look weak.

The posted report said, despite his stature, Taylor "clearly" had the strongest arm. It's also fairly well established now that TT also throws a great deep ball. With Harvin and Sammy on the filed there's no way teams can put 8 or 9 in the box - they are both track fast and can beat man coverage. Clay and Shady are both matchup nightmares for LBs. With any of the 3 QBs this offense is going to be very difficult to defend - Taylor's ability to also run makes this offense almost indefensible.

The posted report said, despite his stature, Taylor "clearly" had the strongest arm. It's also fairly well established now that TT also throws a great deep ball. With Harvin and Sammy on the filed there's no way teams can put 8 or 9 in the box - they are both track fast and can beat man coverage. Clay and Shady are both matchup nightmares for LBs. With any of the 3 QBs this offense is going to be very difficult to defend - Taylor's ability to also run makes this offense almost indefensible.

You win the election! You are president of the Tyrod Taylor fan club!

But seriously, strongest arm is subjective. Most reports out of OTAs and minicamps (for whatever they are worth) is that Manuel looked the best. He is my preference because he combines the best qualities of Taylor and Cassel. In today's NFL, a guy who might be a poor man's version of Mike Vick will struggle to win.

That said, as long as the starting qb isn't Matt Cassel, I'm good.

You win the election! You are president of the Tyrod Taylor fan club!

But seriously, strongest arm is subjective. Most reports out of OTAs and minicamps (for whatever they are worth) is that Manuel looked the best. He is my preference because he combines the best qualities of Taylor and Cassel. In today's NFL, a guy who might be a poor man's version of Mike Vick will struggle to win.

That said, as long as the starting qb isn't Matt Cassel, I'm good.

Rather think of it as president of Bills fan club but am an admitted VT homer and am glad TT is getting a legit shot and giddy that it's with the Bills. Most personally satisfying since the Bills took Bruce #1 overall.

Vick never really had the same talent around him as TT would have if he wins the job this season. The only time Vick did was the 1.5 season stretch when he had Deshawn Jackson, Maclin and Shady at Philly. He did very well that year +, made the HOF for being the only QB to throw for 3 TD and run for 2 TD in the first half of a game.

All Bills fans would love to see TT or EJ do that - if even just once ..

No matter who wins, I can't wait to see the mainstream media finally STFU about our QB situation and take Buffalo out of the cellar for that positional category...be even better to me if was TT who shocks the NFL. I happen to believe he can.

Rather think of it as president of Bills fan club but am an admitted VT homer and am glad TT is getting a legit shot and giddy that it's with the Bills. Most personally satisfying since the Bills took Bruce #1 overall.

Vick never really had the same talent around him as TT would have if he wins the job this season. The only time Vick did was the 1.5 season stretch when he had Deshawn Jackson, Maclin and Shady at Philly. He did very well that year +, made the HOF for being the only QB to throw for 3 TD and run for 2 TD in the first half of a game.

All Bills fans would love to see TT or EJ do that - if even just once ..

No matter who wins, I can't wait to see the mainstream media finally STFU about our QB situation and take Buffalo out of the cellar for that positional category...be even better to me if was TT who shocks the NFL. I happen to believe he can.

Reasonable take. The thing that can't be disregarded is if Taylor can stay healthy. That was a huge issue for Vick and Taylor isn't very big. He's not good enough to beat you from the pocket, so running will be big for him. But won't be able to survive big hits.

Can't wait for camp and may the best man (not Cassel :) ) win!

Reasonable take. The thing that can't be disregarded is if Taylor can stay healthy. That was a huge issue for Vick and Taylor isn't very big. He's not good enough to beat you from the pocket, so running will be big for him. But won't be able to survive big hits.

Can't wait for camp and may the best man (not Cassel :) ) win!

Fair concern. Vick only played 2 seasons of college ball and did get hurt even then. Very reckless. TT does do better at running out of bounds than Mike did. Both are still very tough guys and would prefer the contact. Saw TT throw a GT DL off him to the ground - could not find the clip. EJ is bigger and heavier but hasn't been Mr. Durable at all .. TT played in most games all 4 years at VT only missing a couple for injury or being RS.

In true TT fan club fashion will also add that TT is 6.1 and 217 - not huge but Vick was 6.0 and barely 190. Both were gym rats and tremendous athletes but TT takes it all much more seriously and 27 lbs is a lot especially if all muscle.

No homo but TT is a lot closer to an indestructible tank than MV1 ever was.

Repeat no homo:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Tyrod-Taylor-Trains-With-Colin-Kaepernick/b6d872db-c54a-47f2-8b94-6cd32824ff9d

TT is second from the end on the right.

Here's the full audio of Tyrod Taylor's interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio on what brought him to the Bills, his OTA performance and the QB competition:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/bills/story/1560144-bills-qb-tyrod-taylor-may-the-best-man-win

More Tyrod love from the coaches - even Roman:

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Tyrod_Taylor_DuelThreat_QB_in_the_Competition/382bbf42-7138-4caa-81a7-d83ae4180052

Also apparently need to look out for him with pistols at 40 paces ..

Good stuff. Thanks for posting our future! :flirt: I will be happy with EJ or TT either one should make massive strides in their career progression this year. Matt Cassel, well not so much. But he definitely has a welcome place on the team imo.

I like where we're headed. But I like EJ.

I listened to Sal's interview of Steve Tasker tonight. The interview aired on the John Murphy show back on July 1. It was a great interview, but I heard one tidbit that I haven't seen talked about here. When asked about the QB competition he says Cassel is an upgrade of Orton, says EJ has it in him to play more in the NFL although he noted it may not be with the Bills, but then he talks about Tyrod. He says the coaches are surprised by how well the other players respond to him, saying others in the huddle want to play better when around him. "[Taylor's] been a guy who steps into the huddle and affects those guys in the way they want to play." Tasker goes so far as to talk about this intangible in the way Jim Kelly could inspire those around him.

My prediction is:

EJ starter

Tyrod #2

Simms #3

I have a feeling that is how it's going to play out too. No cap hit or very little if they cut Cassel before the season.

Fair concern. Vick only played 2 seasons of college ball and did get hurt even then. Very reckless. TT does do better at running out of bounds than Mike did. Both are still very tough guys and would prefer the contact. Saw TT throw a GT DL off him to the ground - could not find the clip. EJ is bigger and heavier but hasn't been Mr. Durable at all .. TT played in most games all 4 years at VT only missing a couple for injury or being RS.

In true TT fan club fashion will also add that TT is 6.1 and 217 - not huge but Vick was 6.0 and barely 190. Both were gym rats and tremendous athletes but TT takes it all much more seriously and 27 lbs is a lot especially if all muscle.

No homo but TT is a lot closer to an indestructible tank than MV1 ever was.

Repeat no homo:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Tyrod-Taylor-Trains-With-Colin-Kaepernick/b6d872db-c54a-47f2-8b94-6cd32824ff9d

TT is second from the end on the right.

Relax dude no one cares either way

I listened to Sal's interview of Steve Tasker tonight. The interview aired on the John Murphy show back on July 1. It was a great interview, but I heard one tidbit that I haven't seen talked about here. When asked about the QB competition he says Cassel is an upgrade of Orton, says EJ has it in him to play more in the NFL although he noted it may not be with the Bills, but then he talks about Tyrod. He says the coaches are surprised by how well the other players respond to him, saying others in the huddle want to play better when around him. "[Taylor's] been a guy who steps into the huddle and affects those guys in the way they want to play." Tasker goes so far as to talk about this intangible in the way Jim Kelly could inspire those around him.

That would normally get me pretty excited but Steve Tasker is almost always wrong.

As much as I love Tasker as a Bill, I can't stand him as a commentator. I'm sure Tebow's teammates loved him too. It doesn't matter if you aren't good enough.

I don't want to rush summer but I can't wait for camp. Seems the Taylor hype machine is going full board. LEt's see if he can live up to it on the field.

That would normally get me pretty excited but Steve Tasker is almost always wrong.

Haha. I was just typing the same thing.

I mean...look what Roman did with Kaepernick, who isn't a good passer at all. Granted, Kaep is about as big as EJ and Tyrod is like 5'11. No question who is the better physical specimen, but Tyrod can definitely run and he stuck around in Baltimore...

All I'm getting at is that I bet Roman could run a good offense with Tyrod or Tebow at the helm. If the players are responding well to Tyrod, then go for it. After all, they're going to need to put their bodies on the line for any one of our QBs, considering the way they throw.

I mean...look what Roman did with Kaepernick, who isn't a good passer at all. Granted, Kaep is about as big as EJ and Tyrod is like 5'11. No question who is the better physical specimen, but Tyrod can definitely run and he stuck around in Baltimore...

All I'm getting at is that I bet Roman could run a good offense with Tyrod or Tebow at the helm. If the players are responding well to Tyrod, then go for it. After all, they're going to need to put their bodies on the line for any one of our QBs, considering the way they throw.

It's a lot easier to stick around as a backup and avoid injuries. I'd love to be surprised by him but he seems like Mike Vick Light and we know that doesn't work for long periods of time. We will see.

Interesting quote from Chris Brown in the recent Bills Focus on Taylor: "Of the three quarterbacks in the competition, Taylor, despite a smaller stature, clearly has the strongest arm." Also interesting the Bills PR team decided, since the end of the last mini-camp, to interview Ryan, Roman, Thurman and profile Taylor.

Interesting quote from Chris Brown in the recent Bills Focus on Taylor: "Of the three quarterbacks in the competition, Taylor, despite a smaller stature, clearly has the strongest arm." Also interesting the Bills PR team decided, since the end of the last mini-camp, to interview Ryan, Roman, Thurman and profile Taylor.

Vick has a cannon. So did Losman.

So did Kelly, Elway, etc., etc. We can agree it would be good if our starting QB had a strong arm, right?

If it's accurate. You don't see the difference between Kelly and Elway, former 1st rounders, and a 6th round career backup?

But the offseason creates hype and heroes. Still, if not EJ, then I hope it's Taylor.

So did Kelly, Elway, etc., etc. We can agree it would be good if our starting QB had a strong arm, right?

If Taylor has the strongest arm, it's only by a hair. That might be Chris Brown saying "Taylor doesn't put any touch on his throws," but in a nice way...

If Taylor has the strongest arm, it's only by a hair. That might be Chris Brown saying "Taylor doesn't put any touch on his throws," but in a nice way...

Well said. Touch is so underrated. Jamarcus Russell could throw 70 yards on his knees yet he struggled to complete a swing pass.