Nfl.com: Why Bills might sack less, but be a better D

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000499604/article/why-bills-might-sack-less-but-be-a-better-defense

Buffalo Bills head coach Rex Ryan is inheriting a defense that led the league in sacks last year with 54.

For the laid back fan, a simple equation likely follows: Expert coach plus already sack-happy defense equals record-breaking numbers, right?

Conor's analysis rambling avoidance of analysis certainly leaves something to be desired.

That was like a 6th grade term paper that's written the morning its due. Why do 6th graders think they're smarter than the teacher?

F+

To he fair, that's some pretty piss poor analysis but it's what we heard from Schwartz last year. I believe the comment was something along the lines of "The best indicator of a strong pass rush isn't sacks, because that doesn't count rushed passes that fall incomplete. A much better guide is Pressures, because that means you're shrinking the field and consistently beating the O-line."

To he fair, that's some pretty piss poor analysis but it's what we heard from Schwartz last year. I believe the comment was something along the lines of "The best indicator of a strong pass rush isn't sacks, because that doesn't count rushed passes that fall incomplete. A much better guide is Pressures, because that means you're shrinking the field and consistently beating the O-line."

i do agree with that philosophy.

Sometimes a D pressures the QB all game and gets 3 sacks as well as a high number of hurries and QB knock-downs and maybe a couple tips.

Sometimes a D gets 3 sacks but other than those 3 plays, doesn't bring a lot of pressure allowing the QB to get comfortable.

Generally speaking, though, the more you pressure a QB, the more sacks you get. Good Ds usually produce a lot of sacks. In a passing league, this is important.

The Bills have set their sights on being the number one defense overall. No way do they get there by focusing in on any one category of outcome versus another. Given the talent on this defense, unless there are significant injuries, no way do they substantially drop in sack totals. I can agree that for the sake of overall production maybe they drop some.

Buffalo didn't blitz a lot last year folks. They got 40 sacks from their regular starting front four. They got another 9 sacks from guys that were spelling/substituting for the starters. That's 49 out of 54 sacks. I can't see the number dramatically changing, unless the defensive theory becomes more of one that focuses on closing holes before trying to put pressure on the quarterback. Call me skeptical here, but when in his coaching career has Rex Ryan been more focused on stopping the run than terrorizing quarterbacks? The answer for you is NEVER. 49 sacks by the way would have ranked them #2 in the NFL last year, tied with Philadelphia. The reality is that the Buffalo defense just has too many guys that can't be matched up one on one.

Edited by Luxy312

Heck with that, I say we set a new record of most sacks in a season with 78. I figure about 8 in week 2 against the cheatriots.

Yes, that would be a nice first half total indeed.

2013 - above average overall, spectacular SACK and INT totals. Only 13 overall in points/game.

Pettine selling out get great stats and HC job? Which he did...

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&tabSeq=2&season=2013&role=OPP&Submit=Go&archive=true&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&qualified=false

2014 - elite stats. 4th in yards/game AND point/game. Vast improve. 1st in NFL sacks. 6th INTs.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&tabSeq=2&season=2014&role=OPP&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&qualified=false

Much better overall, no comparison IMO, with the Schwartz!!

If Ryan and staff mess around too much with their 4-3 hybrid, there could be a big drop-off.