Sabres on NBC-NBCSN 5 Times Next Season

26CornerBlitz

Atlantic Division team needs entering 2015 NHL Draft

By Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com Staff Writer

The 2015 NHL Draft will be a great opportunity for teams to shore up positions of need with an injection of energetic, young talent.

As the first round of the draft draws near, there's no better time to take a glimpse at the possible draft needs of all 30 NHL teams.

BUFFALO SABRES

Top priority: An elite center

The situation: General manager Tim Murray played a big role in the selections of Corey Perry (2003, No. 28), Ryan Getzlaf (2003, No. 19) and Erik Karlsson (2008, No. 15) during his time at the draft tables with the Anaheim Ducks and Ottawa Senators, so he's privy to the type of talent best suited to succeed in the NHL. Many expect center Sam Reinhart (2014, No. 2) to be on the team and contributing in a big way in 2015-16. The Sabres didn't win the NHL Draft Lottery but still have an opportunity to draft one of the most heralded American-born prospects since Patrick Kane in Boston University freshman Jack Eichel. After adding Eichel, Murray will have several options with his second choice in the first round.

Possible fits: Connor McDavid, C, Erie Otters (OHL); Jack Eichel, C, Boston University (H-East); Dylan Strome, C, Erie (OHL).

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sabres general manager Murray set for defining draft

By Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com Staff Writer

Buffalo Sabres director of amateur scouting Greg Royce is looking forward to working alongside general manager Tim Murray again at the 2015 NHL Draft on June 26-27 at BB&T Center in Sunrise, Fla.

The timing couldn't be any better as many associated with the organization feel the two-day draft might be Murray's defining moment as the leader of the organization.

"I've known Tim through scouting and seeing him on the road, socializing with him; we go back quite a few years," Royce said. "He brought me in when he was assistant GM with the Ottawa Senators and he called me after getting the job in Buffalo. I didn't hesitate because a GM with his scouting background makes it easy to go to work."

Why is the outspoken Murray so special to work with?

Childhood dream about to come true for Jack Eichel at NHL draft

By Kevin Allen, USA TODAY Sports

When Jack Eichel was 4, he announced to his family that he intended to play in the NHL. When he was 6 he informed his father that he planned to skip high school hockey to play for the Boston Junior Bruins.

"He had it all mapped out by the time he was 7 or 8," his father, Bob, told USA TODAY Sports. "Nobody believed him, but he had it mapped out."

These days everyone believes in Eichel, 18, because he is arguably the best American center prospect since Mike Modano was drafted No. 1 overall in 1988.

I liked the goat heads.

WAY better than sluggalo

Yup. Never wanted the change away from the crossing swords and I'm thrilled they are back, but the goat heads grew on me.

I just pray fans keep their expectations in check for this kid. Tyler Seguin had like 20 points as a rookie.

How did he do in his first playoff appearance?

How did he do in his first playoff appearance?

He had 7 points in 13 games. We would be very lucky if Eichel came close to Seguin. I just hope we let the kid develop and not force him to be a savior.

@BuffaloSabres

"Unselfish, do-it-all leader," @Jack_Eichel11 of @TerrierHockey has "wowed the hockey world." http://goo.gl/isPe9m

CIG1zzIUYAErVe_.jpg

He should shave his head.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Eichel

"John "Jack" Eichel (born October 28, 1996) is an American collegiate ice hockey center and soon to be perennial Stanley Cup Champion with the Buffalo Sabres."

Fantastic find

Screenshotted it before the wikipedia nazis get their hands on it.