"The Blind Side" hurting Oher's career (per him); Discuss

Former 1st round, 23rd overall draft pick Michael Oher asserts that the book/movie "The Blind Side" is hurting his career :

“People look at me, and they take things away from me because of a movie. They don’t really see the skills and the kind of player I am. That’s why I get downgraded so much, because of something off the field.

“This stuff, calling me a bust, people saying if I can play or not ... that has nothing to do with football. It’s something else off the field. That’s why I don’t like that movie.’’

[...]

“That’s taken away from my football,’’ Oher said. “That’s why people criticize me. That’s why people look at me every single play.’’

I woulda thought people call him a bust cuz his drafting team let him go after his rookie contract and Tennessee cut him after one year on a 4 yr/$20 mill contract. (I don't agree with this use of the word bust, but he was a bust in Tennessee). Seems to me all first round draftees and expensive FA signings tend to face a lot of criticism and scrutiny if they don't play at a high level (see Martin, Jonathan; Williams, Chris), whether or not they have a movie about them.

I hope Oher's foot surgery has helped him and reuniting with the coach he had his first 4 years in the league will rejuvinate him. And I can't blame Oher for disliking a movie that portrayed him as a bit of a doofus, but c'mon man, don't blame the movie for your false start and unnecessary roughness/personal foul penalties..

Does anyone recall the movie "Hoop Dreams" from the early 90's? Basketball version of "Blind Side" with a less fortunate outcome. The chance of these kids making it to the professional level in any sport is miniscule. Ohrer is a great story. However, as other posters have said, perhaps he just isn't good enough after all is said and done.

Well maybe because people perceive him as not smart or bright. And that really he is a bright guy. As he hates for people not to see the real him.

I think it's possibly a first impression he has to overcome, but judging by what his former Ravens teammates were quoted or published as saying, that quickly wears off and he's seen as he is.

I have to think if he blocked more consistently against the pass rush and drew fewer false-start penalties, he'd have a great career.

Edited by Hopeful

Does anyone recall the movie "Hoop Dreams" from the early 90's? Basketball version of "Blind Side" with a less fortunate outcome. The chance of these kids making it to the professional level in any sport is miniscule. Ohrer is a great story. However, as other posters have said, perhaps he just isn't good enough after all is said and done.

Oh...what an isult to one of the geatest documentaries ever....

As for Oher, it has to be tough, never knowing if a team wants you for you, or they are hoping Sandy will show up at practices!