NFL.com interview with Richie Incognito

I believe that Richie is going to comeback and be a stud for our team. He has been humbled and just wants to play football.

link

Rex Ryan- "He's going to have an opportunity to change his legacy and I think that's important. And obviously I want to see him do that."

Richie- "I think I've had enough dirty laundry aired, and I think I've had all the skeletons in my closet thrown out," he said. "I'm at the point in my career, especially under Rex, if I got something to say I'm going to say it. I've been around the block and I've definitely had my run-ins, and I've definitely had my time in the media, but I'm just looking forward. I'm excited about the opportunity. I'm excited about getting back to work."

I was surprised by how many Dolphin's defended Richie when the whole Jonathon Martin thing came out. Many of his Fins teammates viewed him as a good person and a leader in the locker room, regardless of the classless texts & voicemails.

I'm expecting him to be a quality starter for us. And I think experience has taught him some hard lessons that will make him a better teammate.

I was surprised by how many Dolphin's defended Richie when the whole Jonathon Martin thing came out. Many of his Fins teammates viewed him as a good person and a leader in the locker room, regardless of the classless texts & voicemails.

I'm expecting him to be a quality starter for us. And I think experience has taught him some hard lessons that will make him a better teammate.

Being down here in Miami, I can confirm what you are saying. His teammates were all (or nearly all) in his corner.

One of the guys who defended RI was Mike Pouncey, who also supported Aaron Hernandez. I don't put too much stock into football players' opinions on character.

RI was an idiot long before Martin. I still think deep down, he is the same guy. But hopefully he grew up. He paid his price and hopefully he isn't dumb enough to throw away his last chance at the NFL.

One of the guys who defended RI was Mike Pouncey, who also supported Aaron Hernandez. I don't put too much stock into football players' opinions on character.

RI was an idiot long before Martin. I still think deep down, he is the same guy. But hopefully he grew up. He paid his price and hopefully he isn't dumb enough to throw away his last chance at the NFL.

And even if his head is right I hope almost 2 years between games while in his 30s isn't a big step backwards.

And even if his head is right I hope almost 2 years between games while in his 30s isn't a big step backwards.

I know we both agree on this. It's just assumed RI is the started. But there were reports of his play slipping before the suspension.

He's like found money in the laundry if he can be a solid starter at this point of his career.

Richie sounds much better when he isn't totally hammered.

I do hope he is a stud for us this year.

I get better looking and smarter when I'm hammered. :)

If anyone can handle the situation it's Rex Ryan. This was a bold move by the Bills to fill a big gap.

If anyone can handle the situation it's Rex Ryan.

We can only hope. This isn't Richie's second chance but more like his 3rd or 4th. He is certainly saying the right things, so I hold out some hope.

Perhaps I'd feel a bit more confident about Rex's ability to handle the situation had he not said he was here to "build a bully". A bully is exactly what Incognito already is/was. I hope the Bills do not become "bullies" as bullies are cowards who pick on those weaker than them, but fold when confronted with real strength. I understand I'm probably getting too literal here, but I would have preferred Rex say he's building a team that won't be bullied, or one that stands up to bullies. But I know Rex likes to talk without thinking, which is one reason he is so popular with fans and the media.

Often guys are out injured almost as long. I'd be more worried if he was a LB or DB, or some position that relied more on speed. OL is more technique and I think you're less likely to forget that.

Thanks to a brutal kids baseball game I attended when the issue in Miami came out (first year of kid pitch, about 4,000 walks) I had some time to read through the entire public text message exchange between Martin and Incognito. I was surprised to find that Incognito really didn't come off as hazing Martin at all. He came off like a slime ball meathead who spent all of his free time and money whoring, going to strip joints and crusing pick up joints. He gave Martin the kind of crap a lot of extremely crass friends give their buddies. I saw nothing more. That's not to say things like that couldn't have happened in person, but those texts sure didn't prove hazing. If anything he really did seem to think of Martin as a friend.

But that doesn't mean that after so much time off Incognito is going to return to form. He might. He might even be better because he's well rested, but there are no guarantees. I know that he is aware that this is his last shot in the NFL so I expect him to stay out of trouble unless he is a bigger idiot than I think or he doesn't come back to form on the field and just snaps. My money would be on average to above average play and zero additional negative off the field stuff.