I didn't know Bob Kraft owns the StL Cards too...

Well, really if your going to cheat, you should be doing it to a better franchise then the Astros. .......

The Astros are completely loaded and the best young team in baseball right now ...

I cannot pretend to be much of a baseball fan. So someone please help me understand what advantages a team could gain by hacking another team's computer systems?

Evidence and details about every player in the Astros very deep system.

It was barely even hacking. The guy started a player database, got hired by a new club and they never changed the password/closed his login at the former team. So he kept using it.

on a scale of 1 to high tech spy.... It's a notch below guessing "password" as someone's password.

And as the article states: scouting reports, proprietary stats they use in evaluations, etc....

Wow....I didn't read too far into the stories but is that really what happened?!?

Posting the stuff online is probably where he (justifiably) gets in some trouble, but it is inexcusable for a billion dollar organization to have IT procedures that would embarrass the local PTA.

The Sabres are what the Astros are , only a year or so behind. Very similar situations, the same model: gut the team, start over, rely on kids and draft picks. The Astros are way deep, and winning earlier than expected, and I hope the Sabres follow suit.

Edited by bobblehead

Wow....I didn't read too far into the stories but is that really what happened?!?

Posting the stuff online is probably where he (justifiably) gets in some trouble, but it is inexcusable for a billion dollar organization to have IT procedures that would embarrass the local PTA.

oops - looks like i got it slightly turned around.

must have misread the first article, because he went TO the astros and duplicated the system he started in StL, and then the cards just used his old cardinals password to get into his new astros system. a bit more sketchy, but still pretty embarrassing.

I work for (job ending this week) Verizon and many of the passwords are just "password" and often passwords are in clear text in logs. One of the worst IT departments I have ever seen in almost 30 years.

• 3 weeks later...

this is no big deal, every team does this, media making it a bigger story, when the cardinals are cleared I expect a full apology

:worthy:

right outta the park

Who says he did? Maybe they just hired better hackers who haven't been caught yet. Boston has a lot of tech types.

I will defer to you on these matters.

i mean the name and avatar are a hint

: )