The Defense: hype vs stats

TPS

I am curious as to why anyone would be worried about having a bad defense when

- Rex Ryan has historically had very good defenses

- This is probably one of the most talented teams he has ever coached on defense

I mean....just go back and look at Rex Ryan defenses over the years and where they have been ranked.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They improved significantly over Pettine, but it wasn't the best part of their D. What would you consider the D's weakest link last year?

Again, regard the Jets' run D, they got good after drafting Richardson.

their weakest link was the inability to make up for injured key starters with scheme creativity. AW vs Pats, McKelvin vs Fish, Dareus vs Raiders

So the Jets run D was good because of Richardson? Too we bad we don't have a great Dlineman or 4.

Edited by YoloinOhio

their weakest link was the inability to make up for injured key starters with scheme creativity. AW vs Pats, McKelvin vs Fish, Dareus vs Raiders

So the Jets run D was good because of Richardson? Too we bad we don't have a great Dlineman or 4.

Actually.....that right there is why this defense may actually be BETTER then last years......

When we lost Marcel.....the D under Schwartz lost a but of its luster......

Rex Ryan has the ability to cover a loss like that up IMO......when he can take players like Aaron Maybin and actually make them productive on the field........

Its really exciting...this D is going to be aggressive....its going to be fun to watch...its going to be unpredictable.....we are probably gonna have more turnovers.....sacks might be up......

Actually.....that right there is why this defense may actually be BETTER then last years......

When we lost Marcel.....the D under Schwartz lost a but of its luster......

Rex Ryan has the ability to cover a loss like that up IMO......when he can take players like Aaron Maybin and actually make them productive on the field........

Its really exciting...this D is going to be aggressive....its going to be fun to watch...its going to be unpredictable.....we are probably gonna have more turnovers.....sacks might be up......

yes, exactly. Schwartz was able to succeed with a fairly vanilla straightforward D because he had a ton of talent and they stayed relatively healthy. But when he lost a guy it was very obvious. Still think he's a great DC but just different from Rex. Edited by YoloinOhio

- This is probably one of the most talented teams he has ever coached on defense

I mean....just go back and look at Rex Ryan defenses over the years and where they have been ranked.

I'm not worried about having a bad defense. I'm questioning whether the results will be better than last year's, which was damn good at #4. I'm wondering if maybe the D-line is better suited to Schwartz's system than Ryan's? That doesn't mean they will be bad, I'm wondering if they will give up more points per game under Ryan's scheme?

Granted, focusing on points is a narrow measure, and you can't tell how many points should really be on the O. For some reason the Jets have not ranked well in points allowed for the past 4 years--24, 19, 21, and 20, They were ranked #1 in yards and points allowed in 2009, then 1 in yards and 6 in points in 2010. Maybe the explanation is their offense was so bad? I think someone attributed to the decline in their run game.

Regardless, I think the Schwartz scheme is more of bend and don't break, it's a more conservative D, and his results were the best in years. I think Ryan's is more high risk, subject to giving up big plays if someone fails a responsibility. The Bills will be a top 10 D. The question is will they be better than 4th?

yes, exactly. Schwartz was able to succeed with a fairly vanilla straightforward D because he had a ton of talent and they stayed relatively healthy. But when he lost a guy it was very obvious. Still think he's a great DC but just different from Rex.

MD was also CRUCIAL to the scheme. look at JS's resume and Haynesworth was the guy that totally changed his rankings from bottom 10 to top 10 -- and when he missed games it was night and day. schwartz can put together a squad that hangs tough but for it to be a gamechanger, that guy in the middle being able to takeover games is critical (and generally rushing from all 4 spots)

MD was also CRUCIAL to the scheme. look at JS's resume and Haynesworth was the guy that totally changed his rankings from bottom 10 to top 10 -- and when he missed games it was night and day. schwartz can put together a squad that hangs tough but for it to be a gamechanger, that guy in the middle being able to takeover games is critical (and generally rushing from all 4 spots)

It interesting that it seems all D coordinators....if there is something missing from their group it is a achilles heel.....

for Schwartz it was Marcel

for Rex? I think its corners......which also EXACTLY why I think Darby was the top selection in our draft.....Rex knows that in order for his schemes to be elite.....he needs very good corners (and he has them here)

OP didn't say 'bad defense', he said poorer/weaker against the run -and I have the same concern. Granted, Kiko was manning the MLB and wearing down as the season progressed, but we were a sieve on Defense 2years ago and, IMO, negated all the great sack stories.

To a man, the players have openly stated that this is very much like the Defense we ran 2years ago -with some added wrinkles. Spikes and P. Brown manned-up @ MLB last year and hoping to see improvement from Preston this season. But that's not a 'known' and I'm curious to see how calling out all the pre-snap reads that appears to be vital to our new schemes' success is going to translate when dealing with quick counts and -Yes, 70K+ screaming maniacs in the stands cheering to make it difficult for the OFFENSE.

We've gotten pretty full of ourselves, Defensively, for a team that still hasn't been in post-season this century. I'll be satisfied with a Top 10 ranking.

OP didn't say 'bad defense', he said poorer/weaker against the run -and I have the same concern. Granted, Kiko was manning the MLB and wearing down as the season progressed, but we were a sieve on Defense 2years ago and, IMO, negated all the great sack stories.

To a man, the players have openly stated that this is very much like the Defense we ran 2years ago -with some added wrinkles. Spikes and P. Brown manned-up @ MLB last year and hoping to see improvement from Preston this season. But that's not a 'known' and I'm curious to see how calling out all the pre-snap reads that appears to be vital to our new schemes' success is going to translate when dealing with quick counts and -Yes, 70K+ screaming maniacs in the stands cheering to make it difficult for the OFFENSE.

We've gotten pretty full of ourselves, Defensively, for a team that still hasn't been in post-season this century. I'll be satisfied with a Top 10 ranking.

im not full of ourselves. But I can't conjure up concern for the run D. Nothing points to it being a concern imo. If they actually have a poor run D when the season begins, I'll be concerned. But the only fans who should be worried now are Browns fans since that's where Pettine is. There are similarities between the two schemes, but they are not the same. Just like the personnel in 2013 vs 2015.

Rex certainly brings excitement, but will he bring results? Will this D be better? where it matters most, points allowed, I don't think so, but I hope so.

Their personnel was well-suited for Schwartz's System, more of a bend don't break, and rely on the front 4 to put pressure. The Bills' success last year was due to the D, as ppg went from 24.3 to 18.1; and the O stayed almost the same at 21.

For Ryan's Jets, the last time their D was in the top 10 in ppg was 2010. They were #1 in Rex's first year, 2009. The last 4 years they have been average at best. They will be flashy like pettine's D, but I doubt they will out-perform last year's ranking. Their weakness, as it was under pettine, will be the run D, giving up the big play. They will be better than 2013, but they ranked 20th then vs Schwartz 4th.

If the Bills are to make the playoffs, the improvement has to be on the O, where they've made the biggest investment this year. Of, course, this is just my opinion man....

The fact that you try to compare Rex's defense and Pettine... Well that kills this thread automatically. It's a shame to b.c you wrote a lot. Edited by Beef Jerky

The fact that you try to compare Rex's defense and Pettine... Well that kills this thread automatically. It's a shame to b.c you wrote a lot.

I'm confused. Wasn't Pettine an assistant under Ryan? Didn't he bring a similar, if not the same defensive philsophy as Ryan(the coach he studied under). Comparing the two defenses kills the thread?!?! Really!? It's a shame you missed the reason for the comparison too because you read a lot.

That's not really an answer. If you were going to attack this D, what area would you focus on?

I'm saying it's the run D, and I'm suggesting that the D-line's strength is rushing the passer over run D. I also question or wonder if the Ryan/Thurman can improve on that?

The front three of the Jets is one of the best run D-lines in the league. The Bills ranked tied for 12th last season in ypa, which was a big improvement over the previousa t 23. Will they be better this year?

Again, I'm not concerned about the D, rather I'm wondering if this scheme will actually make them better than last year's ranking at #4?

I only looked up the Jets defensive stats last year, but they were 5th against the run, 14th against the pass (with far less talented secondary then us), and 5th overall.

That's a pretty good defense with a lack of talent at CB.

With our talent I'm not worried about taking step back, but a step forward. Whaley did a fine job improving our offensive talent, and there was no good option for a QB. So we'll be better than 4th in defense, and I believe we will be much better than 21st on offense.

This team will be good and I bet my buddies we make 11-5 this year.

I'm not worried about having a bad defense. I'm questioning whether the results will be better than last year's, which was damn good at #4. I'm wondering if maybe the D-line is better suited to Schwartz's system than Ryan's? That doesn't mean they will be bad, I'm wondering if they will give up more points per game under Ryan's scheme?

Granted, focusing on points is a narrow measure, and you can't tell how many points should really be on the O. For some reason the Jets have not ranked well in points allowed for the past 4 years--24, 19, 21, and 20, They were ranked #1 in yards and points allowed in 2009, then 1 in yards and 6 in points in 2010. Maybe the explanation is their offense was so bad? I think someone attributed to the decline in their run game.

Regardless, I think the Schwartz scheme is more of bend and don't break, it's a more conservative D, and his results were the best in years. I think Ryan's is more high risk, subject to giving up big plays if someone fails a responsibility. The Bills will be a top 10 D. The question is will they be better than 4th?

WIll they also create more turnovers?

Will we score points on D? Something we didnt do a lot of in minimal risk Schwartz defenses?

Rex is not known for having bad run Ds

Lets just say for arguments sake at the bills D did drop from 4......which is outstanding......to....say.....6

And the O went UP from however bad it was last year to say........15th

Would that not be a acceptable trade off....the point being that you would not even notice a D dropping a couple of spots if the O was significantly improved.

Winning is what is most important

There were people worried about Schwartz because his defensive stats stunk.

Both coaches are great defensive minds and you give them top talent they will have top results. Rex's D will be a monster next year.

IMO Rex is the best defensive coach of this generation.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

TPS i think the answer lies in our linebackers. Bradham has really stepped up. Brown was an amazing surprise! I thought he was the run stopper and thats it. plays between the tackles. He was off the charts when i watched him. Boy can get sideline to sideline and get outside the tackle box to make a play. Excellent recognition and a downhill hitter.

Plus A Williams and The Duke can get nasty in the box too. Gilmore has learned how to tackle finally. Ty Powell is up and coming too

I am honestly having trouble finding a weak spot at this point in the season.

Respect your point. but i am hardly worried just yet.

:thumbsup:

There were people worried about Schwartz because his defensive stats stunk.

Both coaches are great defensive minds and you give them top talent they will have top results. Rex's D will be a monster next year.

IMO Rex is the best defensive coach of this generation.

koolaid drinker!

I am big fan of Rex Ryan. and i too believe this Bills D will be monster