Fred as a coach?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Fred was not a coach, it's unfair to criticize him for not making other players better. That was not his responsibility.

Regarding him being a coach after his playing days, I think it's just mentioned by people that like him so much that they think it would be good for him to coach, even though I don't recall ever hearing him talk about it. Those saying that have no idea if he would be a good coach, they just really like him.

Why should Fred (as a competitor) be helping his teamates with their games?

The only thing he can show these players is how to prepare as you age as a player.....maybe some of those younger guys just can handle that?

I think we will see a different side of Fred Jackson this year though.....he comes into this season as a unquestioned backup as they brought in a top 5 NFL running back.....so maybe the mentorship role will be more in affect.

Since Fred was not a coach, it's unfair to criticize him for not making other players better. That was not his responsibility.

Regarding him being a coach after his playing days, I think it's just mentioned by people that like him so much that they think it would be good for him to coach, even though I don't recall ever hearing him talk about it. Those saying that have no idea if he would be a good coach, they just really like him.

The entire premise looks like trolling to me. Why would CJ Spiller, or any other RB, even consider being "coached" by another team mate with whom they are competing for a starting job? And, why, on God's green Earth, would we hold FJ accountable in any way for the production, or lack thereof, of another player on the roster?

What Fred Jackson has been is one of the most popular players in Bills history, and, unquestionably, a respected team leader. And, he has been a consistently productive RB through some of the Bills' darkest days.

I think that makes him at least a candidate for a coaching position.

His hard work and dedication got him from Coe college to the NFL so that counts. Last time I checked he was a player, not a coach (though I wouldn't be surprised if he was a mentor of the field)

Edited by Beerball

Name 1 QB that Peyton Manning has developed? It is universally thought that he'd have a bright coaching future.

The reasons that people think that Fred would be a good coach are rooted in a similar place. He's an incredibly intelligent individual who developed the complete game. He is a great pass blocker, receiver and has been a productive back. His understanding of the game (and position) translates well to coaching. He didn't get this far on his crazy physical skills. In addition, he's been a captain for years which speaks to his work ethic and communication skills.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Name 1 QB that Peyton Manning has developed? It is universally thought that he'd have a bright coaching future.

The reasons that people think that would be a good coach are rooted in a similar lace. He's an incredibly intelligent individual who developed the complete game. He is a great pass blocker, receiver and has been a productive back. His understanding of the game (and position) translates well to coaching. He didn't get this far on his crazy physical skills. In addition, he's been a captain for years which speaks to his work ethic and communication skills.

It's possible manning would be a terrible when coach because it could be hard for him to relate to guys that are fringe or struggle? Though he has helped grow w lot of careers for his passing units in not sure if that's his skill making them look good organ being good at coaching. There are stories of him coming to the staff with all kinds of new stuff every Monday and the coaches having to tell him to tone it down.

It can be hard to project players into the all new career that coaching is. Would Fred do well? It seems he has some good traits for it, thought he OP is probably right in saying those treating it as a sure thing are overstated

The entire premise looks like trolling to me.

:lol: You're right about that. What a first sentence in the OP!: "Sorry fellas. I've been suspended for months so I gotta get my fill of Fred posts/comments in to catch up from lost time."

...Considering he was more than likely suspended for his crusade against Fred, I'll give Tampa credit for giving zero !@#$s about being suspended again.

The reasons that people think that would be a good coach are rooted in a similar lace. He's an incredibly intelligent individual who developed the complete game. He is a great pass blocker, receiver and has been a productive back. His understanding of the game (and position) translates well to coaching. He didn't get this far on his crazy physical skills. In addition, he's been a captain for years which speaks to his work ethic and communication skills.

It's like the Larry Bird coaching issue, isn't it? Here's a guy, arguably one of the greatest ever to play the sport and one of the fiercest competitors that's ever breathed, and he was a middling (at best) coach in the league. It wasn't because he didn't possess a high basketball IQ or lacked the ability to communicate well with others, I think his failure as a (if you can call 2 trips to the eastern conference finals in 3 years failure, maybe frustration is a better word) stemmed from the game coming so easy to the great ones. It makes it hard to teach the gifts you're given when they're God-given rather than learned. That (in my mind) extends beyond physical gifts.

I'm thinking Peyton might fall under that category when his playing days are up -- if he wants to coach at all which would surprise me. He is clearly a great communicator and understands the game better than some coaches today, but teaching from the sidelines is entirely different than leading on the field.

Edited by GreggyT

Bob, can you stop giving Tampa a bad name since I live there (I'm just kidding bud)? Glad to have you back. As far as Fred, I'm a big fan of him, and hope he sunsets this year while still in top form. I'm hoping with reduced carries, that when he gets the nod, he'll make some serious damage out there. He also will have a stud FB in Pelton to plow the road.

You bring up a good point in the just because Fred is a complete player in terms of the major phases of RB, but that doesn't mean he can coach.

I think he'll need to do what Andre Reed is doing and intern as a coach, and if he makes a serious impact, he'll start as a quality control coach, or some other entry level position. I'm sure Pete Metzelaars did not start out as a TE coach.

Just like our careers, you don't start on top, but have to pay your dues and work towards greater roles. I don't care Bob though if he didn't help Lynch, Spiller or anyone else. These are your competitors trying to take your job.

:lol: You're right about that. What a first sentence in the OP!: "Sorry fellas. I've been suspended for months so I gotta get my fill of Fred posts/comments in to catch up from lost time."

...Considering he was more than likely suspended for his crusade against Fred, I'll give Tampa credit for giving zero !@#$s about being suspended again.

It's like the Larry Bird coaching issue, isn't it? Here's a guy, arguably one of the greatest ever to play the sport and one of the fiercest competitors that's ever breathed, and he was a middling (at best) coach in the league. It wasn't because he didn't possess a high basketball IQ or lacked the ability to communicate well with others, I think his failure as a (if you can call 2 trips to the eastern conference finals in 3 years failure, maybe frustration is a better word) stemmed from the game coming so easy to the great ones. It makes it hard to teach the gifts you're given when they're God-given rather than learned. That (in my mind) extends beyond physical gifts.

I'm thinking Peyton might fall under that category when his playing days are up -- if he wants to coach at all which would surprise me. He is clearly a great communicator and understands the game better than some coaches today, but teaching from the sidelines is entirely different than leading on the field.

I'm glad you corrected yourself a bit regarding Bird. Albeit brief, he was a very successful coach. I think he had a health issue which took him out of coaching.

It's like the Larry Bird coaching issue, isn't it? Here's a guy, arguably one of the greatest ever to play the sport and one of the fiercest competitors that's ever breathed, and he was a middling (at best) coach in the league.

Uh...Wrong. Bird was a great NBA coach. His regular season winning percentage was nearly .690. His first season the Pacers had their best ever regular season record (at that time) and he was named Coach of the Year. He also took his last team to the NBA Finals without a true superstar but they lost to the Shaq/Kobe Lakers.

2 Division Titles, 3 Eastern Conference Finals appearances, and one NBA Final in 3 seasons. If that's middling, sign me up.

The idea that Fred was somehow involved in Lynch playing poorly or Spiller being unable to hit the holes or block better than a pylon is !@#$ing hysterical.

Fred is a leader and has better technique than any RB in the game today. I would take him as a coach in a heartbeat.

Yeah. Coaching is about leading and Freddie has always demonstrated leadership. Maybe he has never taken on an apprentice, but he had been cited as a leader by Johnson, by spiller to name a few...

Uh...Wrong. Bird was a great NBA coach. His regular season winning percentage was nearly .690. His first season the Pacers had their best ever regular season record (at that time) and he was named Coach of the Year. He also took his last team to the NBA Finals without a true superstar but they lost to the Shaq/Kobe Lakers.

2 Division Titles, 3 Eastern Conference Finals appearances, and one NBA Final in 3 seasons. If that's middling, sign me up.

The idea that Fred was somehow involved in Lynch playing poorly or Spiller being unable to hit the holes or block better than a pylon is !@#$ing hysterical.

You can't be a great NBA coach without a ring. He might have gotten one had he stuck around, but it's not fair to label him as great with only 3 years on his resume.

Bird isn't a middling anything:

Mvps as a player, coach of the year, executive of the year.

The guy craps excellence.

Bird isn't a middling anything:

Mvps as a player, coach of the year, executive of the year.

The guy craps excellence.

And he found coaching frustrating... which was my point. Great players don't often make for great coaches. Bird might be the exception that proves the rule -- or could have been -- but he didn't enjoy it as much as running a team.

You can't be a great NBA coach without a ring. He might have gotten one had he stuck around, but it's not fair to label him as great with only 3 years on his resume.

You don't win a ring in the NBA without an elite player. The Pacers didn't have one. The fact that he got them as far as he did every year without a single player averaging even 20 points is a testimonial to his coaching ability.

He had three years on his resume because that's what he signed up for. He told everyone he'd coach 3 seasons and that's what he did. He took a team that hadn't done anything since their ABA days and took them to the brink of their first NBA title with teams that clearly weren't at the top of the heap talent wise. You can use the championship thing to say he isn't great (which seems astoundingly stupid coming from a BILLS fan) but saying he was "middling at best" is !@#$ing retarded.

You don't win a ring in the NBA without an elite player. The Pacers didn't have one. The fact that he got them as far as he did every year without a single player averaging even 20 points is a testimonial to his coaching ability.

He had three years on his resume because that's what he signed up for. He told everyone he'd coach 3 seasons and that's what he did. He took a team that hadn't done anything since their ABA days and took them to the brink of their first NBA title with teams that clearly weren't at the top of the heap talent wise. You can use the championship thing to say he isn't great (which seems astoundingly stupid coming from a BILLS fan) but saying he was "middling at best" is !@#$ing retarded.

Calling him great is as retarded as calling him middling, I admit.