Fallout from possible Dareus extension

It will not be a problem to sign Dareus and Gilmore, then Glenn and Woods in 2016, and Sammy in 2017.

2015 is Frdeddy's swan song, hello Karlos the Jackal.

The cap goes up $10M in 2016 & again in 2017.

In 2016 a rehabilitated Percy Harvin signs back with Seattle for 5 years.

I can't see Mario here after 2017. He will either retire or take a big pay cut / restructure.

Kyle & Leodis retire after 2017, as does Corey Graham, Manny Lawson and maybe Eric Wood. Lawson has ten years in the league already.

Shady has two to three good years left.

Tons of room for cuts, retirees and restructuring.

In 2017 Incognito is banned from the league as he actually rips somebody's head off and sh1ts down their throat. He's been wanting to do that for a while now.

There is plenty of room to retain Dareus, Gilmore, Glenn, Woods, and Sammy. How good will the team be is anyone's guess.

Agreed......I think we we are going to see now is a concentrated effort to sign our own and we will now not be big players in free agency......the good news is.....the word is there was a large increase in spending on scouting......

The draft is still where it is at to fill in the blanks on a team......I fully expect this team to draft a QB high next year no matter what.....darby for instance....the air apparent to McKelvin......Karlos WIlliams.....probably is looked at as the air apparent backup to Shady McCoy......etc etc.

Drafting is going to be very important.

No, I would rather sign Dareus and draft a QB in the first round next year

Yup, sloppy seconds ain't my style either

I don't know all the numbers but I feel like this years casualties will be: Mclovin, Chris Williams and manny lawson. I like lawson but his pay vs production is not good. They will start chipping away now in my opinion

Edited by SJDK

There is no need at all for this sort of panic. Though it is difficult to determine the current top 51 for 2016 at this point, I'll stick with your $1.5M of cap space next year.

The cap will be going up by around $10M...bringing cap space to $11.5M.

We will carry over the $7M from this year....... $18.5M.

The Harvin contract has already been triggered so yrs 2&3 are void...adding $8M from your figures....... $26.5M

The $10M lump payment for Clay will undoubtedly be reworked to a new SB adding $7.5M($8M?)....... $34M.

On top of that we can save many millions by extending Mario(he has already stated that he will rework his contract if needed).

The Bills have everything under control.

good point about the cap probably going up next year.. hadn't factored that in.. even so.. we still need Mario to restructure and will need to cut a few expensive vets

No, I would rather sign Dareus and draft a QB in the first round next year

Correct. No way do you let a talent like Dareus walk if there is a constructive way to get him signed. Kyle Williams is no longer a spring chicken in NFL terms and for that matter neither is Mario. Dareus can be an anchor on the line for years to come.

I'm all for signing Dareus, but what is the plan at qb? Are we just going to keep getting mediocre qbs and hoping that someone, anyone can lead this team back? I don't follow a lot of college, so I have no idea what they are doing at that vital position.

finding a quarterback is more luck and making a move when you think you can get one. You can't really make a plan other than if one happens to come available you try to make a move, like how we traded for shady Edited by kr632

On the BB.com Dareus clip did Chris Brown say something about a prior relationship between Pegula and Dareus? What is that all about - haven't ever heard that one

I get the feeling that this could be Mario's last year with the Bills. They can cut him after this year and save almost 13 million off the cap. If Rex is so good at scheming pressure, they might look at having Hughes and Mario here as high dollar guys as a bad use of the cap.

Obviously a restructure is also possible, but they save alot of cap space by just releasing him.

I get the feeling that this could be Mario's last year with the Bills. They can cut him after this year and save almost 13 million off the cap. If Rex is so good at scheming pressure, they might look at having Hughes and Mario here as high dollar guys as a bad use of the cap.

Obviously a restructure is also possible, but they save alot of cap space by just releasing him.

i do not get that feeling at all.

No way they release him IMO

I bet he restructures after this season

CBF

i do not get that feeling at all.

No way they release him IMO

I bet he restructures after this season

CBF

Agreed...and as I've posited before: I think it's more likely that Mario gets a new contract than a restructuring.

After 2015, he'll only have 2 years left on his deal, which doesn't really leave a lot of back-end room in which to push restructured bonus money, so one way or another he's going to need a new deal before the 2017 season. May as well get it done now and have the cap room next offseason when the team needs it most.

No chance that this happens. He is coming off of his best season as a pro and they have a VERY easy solution to lower his cap number (which he is amenable to). They can simply offer him a new contract and solve the problem. It's been covered on here a ton (specifically by Bandit).

First of all... I am all for the Dareus extension.. .let's get it done.

Secondly.. there will be costs ( not just financial) associated with this extension due to salary cap ramifications... particularly in 2016.

What are you willing to give up in future years in order lock up Dareus long term? Are you willing to give up Percy Harvin? Leodis McKelvin? Chris Williams ( ok.. CW is kind of a no brainer)? What if a high quality FA QB pops up on the market in 2016( Phillip Rivers/ Brees???) and we don't have the cap space to sign them due to the Dareus extension?

Also.. Mario Williams will certainly need to restructure his deal to give the Bills some breathing room in 2016 and beyond if Dareus extends. Do you think Mario will restructure?

According to http://overthecap.com/calculator/buffalo-bills/ here's what the Bills situation looks like now...( pre Dareus restructure)

2015 - $6.5 mil in cap space

2016 - $1.5 mil in cap space

We certainly have room in 2015 to restructure Dareus .. however.. after plugging in a reasonable contract for Dareus into this tool... the Bills will certainly go over the cap substantially in 2016.. and that is after assuming the Bills cut Williams, Harvin and McKelvin in 2016 to get under the cap. The only way we can get this done and make it work long term is to have Super Mario restructure.. and even if he does that .. we will only have ~ $5 mil or so to spend for FA and rookies in 2016.

So here's the hypothetical.... would you be willing to let Dareus go in order to free up money in 2016 for the cap room to sign/ trade for the best FA vet QB on the market in 2016?

I would keep Dareus. Also, IMO the Bills havent even talked to Mario about restructuring as they have said, so, IMO they are waiting to restructure Mario WHEN they are doing the Dareus deal. That is the extra money needed to do so.

It is nothing to worry about. As the Bills have been planning for this and have most guys under contract long term. The only ones not are Stephen Gilmore and Cordy Glenn.

The downfall to all this as you mentioned is IF a QB comes available in FA (which is doubtful) we will have to cut many players or not be in bidding. Another reason it would be great for EJ Manuel or Tyrod Taylor to pan out as quality starter. TT would be better for the cap because if EJ becomes the QB he will be up for a new deal soon. If either QB pans out it will be a good problem to have though.

There is no need at all for this sort of panic. Though it is difficult to determine the current top 51 for 2016 at this point, I'll stick with your $1.5M of cap space next year.

The cap will be going up by around $10M...bringing cap space to $11.5M.

We will carry over the $7M from this year....... $18.5M.

The Harvin contract has already been triggered so yrs 2&3 are void...adding $8M from your figures....... $26.5M

The $10M lump payment for Clay will undoubtedly be reworked to a new SB adding $7.5M($8M?)....... $34M.

On top of that we can save many millions by extending Mario(he has already stated that he will rework his contract if needed).

The Bills have everything under control.

Agreed!

I think your wrong & time will tell who's right. He'd be the best QB we've had here since Jimbo bar none. Right now, we are at slim pickens / nothing & Slim just died.

Did you put Jimbo and bar beside each other for any specific reason?

I would rather see us keep the defense together and hope for growth at the quarterback position. If Cassel does not end up the starter I would hope they get rid of him next year as over $5 mil is too much for a backup qb.

Agreed and agreed.

If they thought having Hughes and Mario was bad use of the cap then why did they just resign Hughes to an extension?

Mario's contract will at some point be restructured with a few more years added to it.

Edited by Max997

You do realize that Mario is coming off one of his best seasons right?

Mario is not going anywhere.....not only is he a monster on the pass rush......his run stop is great...he is a complete player...he is one of the REASONS why people say we have the best DL in the league.....without him? Nobody is saying that.

The bills have set themselves up nicely to add years to Mario's contract......and put out money is bonus signing money to make it more cap friendly.

This will get done......and even if it doesnt happen this year they have the franchise tag at their deposal.

The Bills won't have much carryover from 2015 to 2016. As YOLO noted in the article he linked the Bills will likely head into the season with just under $5M in space, but some of that will be needed for the salaries of additional players who come aboard when an injured player gets put on IR. They may carryover $2-3M.

If the league cap is in the $150-153M range (as expected), then the Bills will be tight to it as things stand. They're at about $149.5M committed now, but draftee signings and other roster moves will increase that slightly. Some room is coming, though. Harvin won't be kept, so that will free up $8M in cap space. Changing Clay's 2016 roster bonus to a signing will free up another $7.5M. There will be other moves made that will effect the final numbers for 2016 - cuts, new FAs and a new class of draftees - but re-signing Dareus is certainly manageable.

The Bills won't have much carryover from 2015 to 2016. As YOLO noted in the article he linked the Bills will likely head into the season with just under $5M in space, but some of that will be needed for the salaries of additional players who come aboard when an injured player gets put on IR. They may carryover $2-3M.

If the league cap is in the $150-153M range (as expected), then the Bills will be tight to it as things stand. They're at about $149.5M committed now, but draftee signings and other roster moves will increase that slightly. Some room is coming, though. Harvin won't be kept, so that will free up $8M in cap space. Changing Clay's 2016 roster bonus to a signing will free up another $7.5M. There will be other moves made that will effect the final numbers for 2016 - cuts, new FAs and a new class of draftees - but re-signing Dareus is certainly manageable.

I want to know why people are soooo sure Percy will not be kept

History, cap situation, structure of the contract, etc. It is just not realistic to expect everything fall into place where:

- the Bills are comfortable enough with Harvin's performance that they are willing to pay him $9M per season,

- Harvin is happy making $9M per year instead of trying to cash in on a big payday,

- Harvin stays relatively injury free,

- Harvin is a good teammate and maintains a good relationship with the staff (which hasn't happened except for the two months he was with the Jets) and

- the Bills prefer to keep him over Dareus or other expensive players.

Is there a sliver of a chance that all happens? Sure, but that's about it. Realistically he won't be playing here - at least not under that contract.

Edited by BarleyNY

Because Harvin was never on a 3 year contract. It was always a 1 year deal that was structured as a 3 year deal to save a few cap dollars this season. The 2nd and 3rd years have already been voided.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/percy-harvin/

It is possible that we re-sign him next season, but would be competing with other teams as he will be a FA.

Because Harvin was never on a 3 year contract. It was always a 1 year deal that was structured as a 3 year deal to save a few cap dollars this season. The 2nd and 3rd years have already been voided.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/percy-harvin/

It is possible that we re-sign him next season, but would be competing with other teams as he will be a FA.

I realize all this.....

but what happens if

Percy actually likes playing here and is tiring of moving around....he is bonding with his HC...his postional coach....etc etc

He is playing on a team that he is going to find a nich....but will not be the primary receiver

While I root for an injury free season.....Percy has not shown to be season long durable....perhaps now that he isnt being thrown to on every down he might find that durability

I think he might stay