NFL gives Brady/Pats an asterisk*

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually its two asterisks (asteri?) because the NFL Wells report explicitly based its "cheating" finding on the previous transgression of videotapegate.

My GUESS is that part of the reason why Bob Kraft simply pulled his appeal of the Wells finding may well be that after the Pats personalized the issue by claiming that any accuser would owe them a public apology after the investigation and then directly calling out Wells, they created an incentive for Wells and or the NFL to escalate by identifying a third potential case of the Pats cheating.

Kraft (and potentially Brady) saw that they ran the risk of either the NFL or Wells revealing or simply accusing the Pats of a another transgression. It could not be anything that simply is an unusual application but not violation o the rules. However, if a third case of the Pats violating the spirit or letter of the law could even be hinted at the Pats ran the risk of tainting their entire winning record and history with a dreaded asterick.

Once is an incident, twice may be a coincidence, but a third case would be a trend that might stick forever. I actually would not be shocked to see Brady also pull back and settle for 3 games or even four.

Seems like a little of a cop out. If the cheating was significant enough to affect the outcomes of the games then they should vacate the victories. If not, then fine/suspend him and move on. Asterisks are like trying to have it both ways.

Bucky Brooks, anyway.

As for Brady, it's not just the cheating we know about. It's all the other stuff we're not sure about (does the headset in the helmet really keep working after the cutoff?), and the stuff we've never even heard or dreamed of. Yeah, it does tarnish the accomplishments. Not saying he wouldn't be great anyway, but just how great? We'll never know.

Seems like a little of a cop out. If the cheating was significant enough to affect the outcomes of the games then they should vacate the victories. If not, then fine/suspend him and move on. Asterisks are like trying to have it both ways.

Copping out is the least of the NFL's problem from this fans perspective.

To me it's no different than PED's. How many home runs could McGuire, Sosa and Bonds have it without them? How many of the extra homers were from PED's? We can't know, yet we look at their entire careers with suspicion. So why do the Pats** get a free pass? They have been caught cheating twice, plus there are other rumours that the NFL never addressed. They can argue that what they did didn't matter, but then why cheat at all?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

It's early still...in 10 years this will all be a blip. Any sane person knows he is the greatest QB.

c6ff94bba364118f737a3d89f74f5ab75b4e11a7

Of course this isn't updated to reflect Br*dy's tainted title -- his fourth -- or the scandal. But you're kidding yourself if you don't think this will impact Tommy Terrific's legacy.

Edited by GreggyT

It's early still...in 10 years this will all be a blip. Any sane person knows he is the greatest QB.

And who knows what new scandal(s) involving Brady* and the Pats** will be common knowledge by then?

Of course this isn't updated to reflect Br*dy's tainted title -- his fourth -- or the scandal. But you're kidding yourself if you don't think this will impact Tommy Terrific's legacy.

Maybe in your bitter mind, but he hasn't fallen in Brett Favre's, Jim Kelly's, or my mind, so who really cares what guys that were already filled with resentment think?

Edited by HoF Watkins

To me it's no different than PED's. How many home runs could McGuire, Sosa and Bonds have it without them? How many of the extra homers were from PED's? We can't know, yet we look at their entire careers with suspicion. So why do the Pats** get a free pass? They have been caught cheating twice, plus there are other rumours that the NFL never addressed. They can argue that what they did didn't matter, but then why cheat at all?

This. So A-Rod is greater than Mays? Yeah right. Can you imagine if Mays, Aaron and Mantle were on the juice? Hell, what if Mantle didn't get plastered half the time? Hard to say what Brady would have done without illegal radio help in his helmet and video of the opponents formations before the games. The SB wins are tainted.

How many fewer receptions, yards, touchdowns, wins, and Super Bowls would Montana have if Jerry Rice didn't CHEAT by using Stickum? And people claim he is the best player of ALL-TIME!

I think comparing it to PED's is way exaggerating the transgression, and those were individual achievements, Brady's are mostly team achievements. That stuff has been beat to death in other threads.

I think we need to comb through NFL history, and start handing out more asterisks to different teams, huh? When Jerry Rice says "all players did it" he probably meant "all the players on MY team did it..."

I'm sure the Bills were clean though, so we can sleep at night, with a clear conscience.

Edited by HoF Watkins

When will the petty, silly jealousy of such a fine stand-up organization stop?

Everybody needs to get a life. They are champions!

Signed,

HoF Watkins/JiA

How many fewer receptions, yards, touchdowns, wins, and Super Bowls would Montana have if Jerry Rice didn't CHEAT by using Stickum? And people claim he is the best player of ALL-TIME!

I think comparing it to PED's is way exaggerating the transgression, and those were individual achievements, Brady's are mostly team achievements. That stuff has been beat to death in other threads.

I think we need to comb through NFL history, and start handing out more asterisks to different teams, huh? When Jerry Rice says "all players did it" he probably meant "all the players on MY team did it..."

I'm sure the Bills were clean though, so we can sleep at night, with a clear conscience.

You sound like my 16 year old son trying to justify a trangression and character flaw. Everybody else does it!