SI ranks the worst quarterback draft years ever

Everyone's just piggy backing a this point.

"I have nothing to write about, I KNOW. I'll take someone else's opinion and make i my own".

I'm going to give my opinion about your opinion, and then have you on the radio for an interview so we can bounce our opinions off each other, okay?

"I have nothing to write about, I KNOW. I'll take someone else's opinion and make i my own". But Bills fans are the only ones gullible enough to hang on every word someone at a national publication writes about them in MAY and JUNE (since the only other alternative is going to Applebee's), so here goes...

Fixed...

I'm not sure what the issue is this? On paper, none of those are very good. It is very possible that 3 years in not one guy will be taking an opening day snap from that class. They still have a chance to improve some but so far it doesn't look good. It feels kind of like that Tony Banks class. There were no high end QB prospects and it is playing out as such.

There are Anthony Bennett drafts and Anthony Davis drafts (or to use the football equivalent Eric Fisher or Andrew Luck). They are not all the same. That draft happened to be one without high end QB prospects. Next year appears to be a very deep draft for QBs.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I'm not sure what the issue is this? On paper, none of those are very good. It is very possible that 3 years in not one guy will be taking an opening day snap from that class. They still have a chance to improve some but so far it doesn't look good. It feels kind of like that Tony Banks class. There were no high end QB prospects and it is playing out as such.

There are Anthony Bennett drafts and Anthony Davis drafts (or to use the football equivalent Eric Fisher or Andrew Luck). They are not all the same. That draft happened to be one without high end QB prospects. Next year appears to be a very deep draft for QBs.

yeah

Couldn't you say the same thing about Aaron Rodgers class after 2 years? Alex Smith was terrible and Rodgers was still a year from playing. I don't think either guy was a great prospect coming into the NFL. Smith was in a gimmicky college offense and Rodgers had to change his mechanics and played for a coach who had a bunch of NFL busts.

I think last year's class was bad (never got the hype with Bortles, and couldn't stand Manziel). But to rate them at this point seems stupid. We as a society have this need to judge things right away. Sometimes, it takes time to get a full picture. JMO.

They might as well just say "Every class sucks except the 1983 and 2004 classes" because it's very rare you get more than 1 franchise QB out of a draft. Heck, it's rare to get even 1 franchise QB out of a draft.

Luck and Peyton's class were good. :)

Couldn't you say the same thing about Aaron Rodgers class after 2 years? Alex Smith was terrible and Rodgers was still a year from playing. I don't think either guy was a great prospect coming into the NFL. Smith was in a gimmicky college offense and Rodgers had to change his mechanics and played for a coach who had a bunch of NFL busts.

I think last year's class was bad (never got the hype with Bortles, and couldn't stand Manziel). But to rate them at this point seems stupid. We as a society have this need to judge things right away. Sometimes, it takes time to get a full picture. JMO.

Luck and Peyton's class were good. :)

You could and that is fair. Although, Rodgers was a total unknown at the time playing behind one of the best ever. That class is more of the exception than the rule. I think that QBs get overdrafted all of the time and the fact that only 1 went in the 1st in 2013, and most considered it a reach, should tell you that great things weren't expected of that group.

I wasn't a fan of last year's class either. I liked Bridgewater and Manziel the most. The jury is out on Johnny and we will know a LOT more about him this year. He is either going to be a franchise guy or out of the league. I appear to be right on Teddy. I wasn't high on Carr or Bortles and at this point I am 1 for 2 as well. With that being said at the start of the 2016 season you will almost certainly have multiple guys from that class starting on opening day. That is a big step up from where the 2013 class is now.

It is kind of like the Bills getting a bad draft grade this year. Well, they didn't have a 1st round pick so they should be expected to have as good of a draft as New Orleans for example who had like 5 picks in the 1st 80 (or something like that). That was not a good QB class coming out so they are supposed to be on a list like this. It isn't a surprise that they don't stack up with the class of 1983. It is a pretty dumb list for that reason.

How they fare vs. expectations is away better way to judge than how they compared to people that they weren't comparable to. If you use the example above no one in the world thought that Anthony Bennett was going to be the same player as Anthony Davis. Yet they will be compared as "good" and "bad" 1st overall picks. That is just stupid. I am sure that the Cavs would have much preferred to take Davis but that wasn't an option.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Well, I'm glad Ol' Buddy waited for possibly the worst draft class in NFL history to draft his "walk off" shot / franchise QB in E.J.

:bag:

Lesson to rest of NFL: Don't keep putting off drafting a QB when you have nothing, you might get stuck like this.

Everyone's just piggy backing a this point.

"I have nothing to write about, I KNOW. I'll take someone else's opinion and make i my own".

That's literally what all these writers do. I mean, part of me gets it. They have to produce content. It's our fault for giving them attention. But one funny thing is on this guy's list, The year after 2013 is 2007, then it goes to 2002. Including 2013 on a list like that is so beyond premature it's ridiculous. 2007 and 2002 are far enough in the past to give an accurate portrayal of those draft classes.

Well, I'm glad Ol' Buddy waited for possibly the worst draft class in NFL history to draft his "walk off" shot / franchise QB in E.J.

:bag:

Lesson to rest of NFL: Don't keep putting off drafting a QB when you have nothing, you might get stuck like this.

Way to drink in the sh*t smoothies these hacks are throwing out there.

That's literally what all these writers do. I mean, part of me gets it. They have to produce content. It's our fault for giving them attention. But one funny thing is on this guy's list, The year after 2013 is 2007, then it goes to 2002. Including 2013 on a list like that is so beyond premature it's ridiculous. 2007 and 2002 are far enough in the past to give an accurate portrayal of those draft classes.

Way to drink in the sh*t smoothies these hacks are throwing out there.

These are the Bills QB drafted since 2007: pass the Kool Aid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent_Edwards

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EJ_Manuel

Seriously, this is horrible. Rest of team, looking good right now.

You could and that is fair. Although, Rodgers was a total unknown at the time playing behind one of the best ever. That class is more of the exception than the rule. I think that QBs get overdrafted all of the time and the fact that only 1 went in the 1st in 2013, and most considered it a reach, should tell you that great things weren't expected of that group.

I wasn't a fan of last year's class either. I liked Bridgewater and Manziel the most. The jury is out on Johnny and we will know a LOT more about him this year. He is either going to be a franchise guy or out of the league. I appear to be right on Teddy. I wasn't high on Carr or Bortles and at this point I am 1 for 2 as well. With that being said at the start of the 2016 season you will almost certainly have multiple guys from that class starting on opening day. That is a big step up from where the 2013 class is now.

It is kind of like the Bills getting a bad draft grade this year. Well, they didn't have a 1st round pick so they should be expected to have as good of a draft as New Orleans for example who had like 5 picks in the 1st 80 (or something like that). That was not a good QB class coming out so they are supposed to be on a list like this. It isn't a surprise that they don't stack up with the class of 1983. It is a pretty dumb list for that reason.

How they fare vs. expectations is away better way to judge than how they compared to people that they weren't comparable to. If you use the example above no one in the world thought that Anthony Bennett was going to be the same player as Anthony Davis. Yet they will be compared as "good" and "bad" 1st overall picks. That is just stupid. I am sure that the Cavs would have much preferred to take Davis but that wasn't an option.

Good post. I'm just kinda a patient person, especially in regards to qb. It's the hardest position in sports and there are so many factors that can make or break them. Andrew Luck, one of the best qb prospects ever, had Bruce Arians as an OC. EJ had Nate Hackett.

How do you feel about the class this year? I think Mariotta could go either way and Winston is so slimy but seems like a NFL qb.

Good post. I'm just kinda a patient person, especially in regards to qb. It's the hardest position in sports and there are so many factors that can make or break them. Andrew Luck, one of the best qb prospects ever, had Bruce Arians as an OC. EJ had Nate Hackett.

How do you feel about the class this year? I think Mariotta could go either way and Winston is so slimy but seems like a NFL qb.

Thanks, I am kind of with you on this year's class. I had pretty much no interest in anyone other than those 2. I guess that Grayson is in a good situation and has a chance. Jameis is such an idiot that I wouldn't be at all surprised if he fell apart (couldn't happen to a nicer guy). I like Mariota but he isn't can't miss by any means. I agree that he can go either way.

Next year's class looks better to me and that is mainly because of the depth of it. We will see though.