Is the Flutie Curse over with?

Johnson played terribly overall in that game. Given the offensive line problems and Flutie's ability to escape pressure, the Bills were fools to start Johnson. The Bills made an average defense (statistically speaking, and one that was bad against the pass) look great.

Flutie was a flawed player, but he was the last decent starting quarterback the Bills had.

+1

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+ 1,000,000!!

If he was so special why didn't he win us the Miami playoff game one year earlier. He had the ball on the freaking 1 yard line and fumbled!

He played very well overall against the Dolphins (a 90+ rating), who had arguably the best pass defense and best defense in the league overall: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia/1998.htm .

He was also on the 5 yard line, not the 1.

Edited by dave mcbride

He played very well overall against the Dolphins (a 90+ rating), who had arguably the best pass defense and best defense in the league overall: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia/1998.htm .

People also forget the Moulds fumble & the personal foul penalty against Reed by which he hit the ref in the back with the ball because the ref didn't give him a TD and he got ejected from the game.

I thought Rob Johnson played a good game. Actually, he had a pretty good start to his career. He had a high QB rating and the Bills scored a lot of points during his starts. Things started to fall apart the following season.

" i thought" well you thought wrong, he had a terrible career stat-wise, i think throwing for 98 yards 0 tds and several sacks and a safety in a playoff game shows rjs career in a nutshell. his career fell apart his first full season btw, not the second, the second was the one flutie took over. the third was the one he lead us to a 3 win season. in case you never had a clue youll see his stats are a bit better than they should be due to him taking sacks versus throwing incomplete passes, which actually hurts a team but helps a self-serving pretender like karate kid johnson. It must have been nice to live in ignorance all of these years, almost...blissful.

it aint over till the fat lady sings.

so, no.

but we have all the right people in the right places doing the right things to turn this mojo on it's head.

New England! You have Mail!

and its very real

Edited by 3rdand12

In January 2000, then Buffalo Bills owner, Ralph Wilson, made the call to then Bills HC Wade Phillips to have Rob Johnson become the starting QB for the Bills in the playoffs after he saw Johnson play well in a meaningless game 16 for the Bills. Former starting Bills QB, Doug Flutie was told by Phillips that he was only being benched for game 16 so he was rested for the playoffs, only to have the rug pulled out from underneath him and be benched in favor of Johnson, who made his career by coming off the bench and playing great for one game. That playoff game vs the Titans ended in a very controversial call by which Bills fans felt their team got robbed of a victory as it appeared that Titans TE Frank Wycheck threw an illegal forward pass on a kick return. That game was the last time the Bills have appeared in the playoffs. It’s been over 15 years since the Bills last playoff game and some fans have called the Bills long playoff drought the “Flutie Curse.” If you believe in sports superstitions, such as the “Curse of the Bambino” by which many Boston Red Sox fans believed since the Red Sox traded away Babe Ruth to the Yankees was the reason why the Red Sox had a 86 year drought between World Series championships, then Bills have to ask themselves this question, “Is the Flutie Curse over with now since the Bills have new owners?”

Well at least you posted it here first.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2015/5/14/8607123/is-the-flutie-curse-over-with

People also forget the Moulds fumble & the personal foul penalty against Reed by which he hit the ref in the back with the ball because the ref didn't give him a TD and he got ejected from the game.

Oh he had a 90 QBR that game? Well that changes everything...except the fact he cost us the game.

And it was the one yard line. Don't make me pull out the You Tube video.

I have to say Flutie truly is magic in the way people who crucify every other Bills player make excuses for his (ahem) shortcomings.

No such thing.. Just let the midget fall to the wayside. No reason to keep bringing up that completely over rated QB again and again

No kidding. Personally, I always thought the midget was the curse. The guy was lucky he started as long as he did.

+ 1,000,000!!

If he was so special why didn't he win us the Miami playoff game one year earlier. He had the ball on the freaking 1 yard line and fumbled!

It was someone else's fault. It was always someone else's fault.

If Flutie would have played that day, instead of that damn Rob Johnson. We would have won that game, and the Super Bowl as well. We would have gone on to win five Super Bowls, and be considered the best of the AFCE. Bill and Tom who? More like Wade and Doug! They'd still both be with us to this day most likely. God Bless Doug Flutie.

Promo, I watched that video and saw Doug Flutie have in arm in throwing motion and Trace Armstrong dive helmet first into his armpit. I don't care who you are, every QB would have fumbled being hit the way Armstrong did to Flutie. Second point, it wouldn't have come down to that if Moulds didn't hotdog his route and would have scored a TD, but instead he got the ball knocked out from behind, or if Reed wouldn't have gotten a personal foul penalty& ejected for hitting the ref with the ball, so the ball went from 1st & goal at the goaline to 1st @ goal at the 15. With four tries from the goal line, the BIlls would've scored a TD, but instead, they had to settle for a FG. But I know, all you Flutie haters want to concentrate on the last play of the game instead of all the other factors that took place during the game. Please tell me how great Johnson played in the playoff game vs the Titans?

Promo, I watched that video and saw Doug Flutie have in arm in throwing motion and Trace Armstrong dive helmet first into his armpit. I don't care who you are, every QB would have fumbled being hit the way Armstrong did to Flutie. Second point, it wouldn't have come down to that if Moulds didn't hotdog his route and would have scored a TD, but instead he got the ball knocked out from behind, or if Reed wouldn't have gotten a personal foul penalty& ejected for hitting the ref with the ball, so the ball went from 1st & goal at the goaline to 1st @ goal at the 15. With four tries from the goal line, the BIlls would've scored a TD, but instead, they had to settle for a FG. But I know, all you Flutie haters want to concentrate on the last play of the game instead of all the other factors that took place during the game. Please tell me how great Johnson played in the playoff game vs the Titans?

You are proving my point. Flutie gets a parade of excuses. Yet Rob Johnson leaves his game with the Bills winning and it's his fault they lost. Don't get the idea that I am sticking up for RJ. Just pointing out the ludicrous mulligans some fans give Flutie while crucifying any other Bills players, current of former, for any mistake they make.

How would I sound if I was making excuses for Bryce Brown fumbling in the KC game? "Well, he was hit pretty hard. I mean any RB would fumble in that situation. And really you can't blame Chandler either. That ball has pointy ends that make it bounce weird."

That's what you sound like.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Promo, I'm not saying Flutie was the best QB nor am I making up every excuse in the book for him, I'm just stating what I saw in the Miami playoff game. Flutie was a good game manager, but he was not an elite QB. So what if the Bills were only winning games by a few points, a win is a win regardless of the score, but that was not good enough for fans like you. In order for Flutie to be widely accepted by everyone, he had to score 30+ points a game, every game.

Johnson sucked for 58 minutes in the Titans, was 10 for 22 with around 100 yards passing, sacked six times (one for a safety). So what, he played good for 2 minutes of the game, but he left 16 seconds on the clock which was more than enough for the Titans to win the game.

Oh he had a 90 QBR that game? Well that changes everything...except the fact he cost us the game.

And it was the one yard line. Don't make me pull out the You Tube video.

I have to say Flutie truly is magic in the way people who crucify every other Bills player make excuses for his (ahem) shortcomings.

You're simply wrong. Scroll to the end. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199901020mia.htm .

Also, up until that point, only one defense had put up more yardage vs. Miami than the Bills (the Pats in November of that season).

Finally, QBs don't "win" games and they don't "lose" games. Moulds fumbled early in that game deep in Miami territory and it cost the Bills points; Andre Reed fumbled too in the 4th after a 17 yard completion in Bills territory. That fumble led to the Dolphins scoring a TD and taking a 24-14 lead. Reed also took an unsportsmanlike penalty that moved the Bills from 2nd and goal from the 1 to 2nd and goal from the 16 with two minutes to go.

The Bills defense gave up 345 yards to the Dolphins, their worst effort against them that season. The previous two times they played the Dolphins, they gave up 259 and 296 yards.

But keep ignoring context and blame Flutie, who averaged 10 yards per passing attempt against the best pass defense in the league.

Promo, I'm not saying Flutie was the best QB nor am I making up every excuse in the book for him, I'm just stating what I saw in the Miami playoff game. Flutie was a good game manager, but he was not an elite QB. So what if the Bills were only winning games by a few points, a win is a win regardless of the score, but that was not good enough for fans like you. In order for Flutie to be widely accepted by everyone, he had to score 30+ points a game, every game.

Johnson sucked for 58 minutes in the Titans, was 10 for 22 with around 100 yards passing, sacked six times (one for a safety). So what, he played good for 2 minutes of the game, but he left 16 seconds on the clock which was more than enough for the Titans to win the game.

If Flutie is sacked is OL fault, if johnson is sacked is his fault?

You're simply wrong. Scroll to the end. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199901020mia.htm .

Also, up until that point, only one defense had put up more yardage vs. Miami than the Bills (the Pats in November of that season).

Finally, QBs don't "win" games and they don't "lose" games. Moulds fumbled early in that game deep in Miami territory and it cost the Bills points; Andre Reed fumbled too in the 4th after a 17 yard completion in Bills territory. That fumble led to the Dolphins scoring a TD and taking a 24-14 lead. Reed also took an unsportsmanlike penalty that moved the Bills from 2nd and goal from the 1 to 2nd and goal from the 16 with two minutes to go.

The Bills defense gave up 345 yards to the Dolphins, their worst effort against them that season. The previous two times they played the Dolphins, they gave up 259 and 296 yards.

But keep ignoring context and blame Flutie, who averaged 10 yards per passing attempt against the best pass defense in the league.

Again, Flutie gets excuses. Every other Bills player gets whipped. Oh, and Brady is innocent.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

You are proving my point. Flutie gets a parade of excuses. Yet Rob Johnson leaves his game with the Bills winning and it's his fault they lost. Don't get the idea that I am sticking up for RJ. Just pointing out the ludicrous mulligans some fans give Flutie while crucifying any other Bills players, current of former, for any mistake they make.

How would I sound if I was making excuses for Bryce Brown fumbling in the KC game? "Well, he was hit pretty hard. I mean any RB would fumble in that situation. And really you can't blame Chandler either. That ball has pointy ends that make it bounce weird."

That's what you sound like.

Rob Johnson sucked in that game, the team was in a position to win despite him rather than because of him, and he spent the rest of his career proving that he was one of the biggest mistakes in Bills history. It's not like the guy had a few bad plays, he was straight up garbage.

22-9 is the only thing that matters

I'm not a fan of QB win/loss records, but if we're going down that road he was 24-8 with the Bills. The Bills beat the Pats in 1998 in NE only to see the victory robbed for them by the refs, and Flutie gets credit for that in my book. Flutie also gets credit for the win against the Colts in week 5 of 1998. Johnson hurt his rib on the first play and Flutie played the entire game after that. Johnson sure as hell shouldn't get credit for a "win", at least in my book.

Edited by dave mcbride