Fred ain't Dead

Oh wow, some of the posts in this thread are ridiculous. Look, I absolutely love FJax & everything he has done for this team and the community. He's been a stand up guy, a team leader, & a great all around RB. But there is no way in hell FJax is currently a better RB then LeSean McCoy- that is just insanity. Jackson in his prime a few years back was not better then Shady McCoy.

McCoy is an elite RB (top 3) right now. If you polled all 32 GMs, every single one would choose McCoy. Shady has the most rushing yards of any NFL RB over the past 5 seasons. He is also extremely durable coming off bacK to back 300+ carry seasons.

The last 2 seasons in PHI, McCoy has:

626 carries / 2926 yards / 4.65 ypc / 14 rushing TD / 80 receptions / 694 rec yards / 2 TD / 26 plays of 20+ yards / 7 plays of 40+ yards

That is elite production.

Father time has definitely caught up to FJax. He only averaged 3.7 ypc last season. Over the past 2 seasons, he has 12 plays of 20+ yards & a single 40+ yard play. He was never a super explosive runner to begin with and he has slowed down.

I am all for an open competition at every single position on this team; RB included. Let Shady,FJax, Boobie, Bryce Brown, & Karlos Williams battle it out.

McCoy is obviously going to out perform everyone & win the starting job. I think the real battle to watch is FJax, Boobie, Bryce Brown, & Karlos Williams fight for the remaining 2 RB roster spots.

I'm almost positive Bryce Brown is going to be cut/traded. I'm hoping FJax can out play one of Boobie or Karlos and stick around. But if Karlos Williams looks like a stud & Boobie plays well and keeps up his very good special teams play, I wont be outraged if FJAX is odd man out

I just hope Fred understands that his station with the team will not matter if someone like Karlos just flat outplays him in training camp. If Freddie performs like he has in the past....he backs up shady....if not....then you will always have been one of my favorite bills Freddie Jackson.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope Fred understands that his station with the team will not matter if someone like Karlos just flat outplays him in training camp. If Freddie performs like he has in the past....he backs up shady....if not....then you will always have been one of my favorite bills Freddie Jackson.

I'd prefer that they just cut him now.

I'm not sure what to expect from Fred this year. Last year he played hurt behind an abysmal offensive line with a terrible HC/OC.

He might play better this year. Then again, his legs may have finally wore out.

I don't understand why he's either gotta be the extreme of "best on the team" or "worthless and should be let go"... why can't he just be a change of pace back that gets like 25% of the carries? I'm sure the lesser load will help keep him fresh as well.

This is probably the reality.

I'm not sure what to expect from Fred this year. Last year he played hurt behind an abysmal offensive line with a terrible HC/OC.

He might play better this year. Then again, his legs may have finally wore out.

This is probably the reality.

Jackson got hurt in the Minnesota game and wasn't the same for most of the games he played in after that. He played through an injury.

One play, against Chicago.

He averaged 37 Yds per game last year. How many plays can you make when you average that many yards?

Many people are again choosing heart over head. We all love Fred, but time shows he is not the best option for the Bills anymore.

Interesting how you guys conveniently omit his contributions in the passing game. I guess it doesn't fit your agenda.

Interesting how you guys conveniently omit his contributions in the passing game. I guess it doesn't fit your agenda.

Prior to his injury against the Vikings in game 7, he had 239 yards on 54 carries - a 4.43 ypc average. People forget that he played through injury last season. He came back much sooner than expected.

Prior to his injury against the Vikings in game 7, he had 239 yards on 54 carries - a 4.43 ypc average. People forget that he played through injury last season. He came back much sooner than expected.

That stat sheet guys also overlook the fact that Fred was almost always good for 2-3 yds on first down to set up manageable conversions where Spiller was setting up 2nd and 12.

I have no agenda, I like Fred, but he is not the best option for the Bills any more. He may not even be the 2nd. Nature of the beast.

I think everyone on TSW is speculating on which RBs will make it on the final roster, and so am I. There are way too many mouths to feed in the backfield, and if Greg Roman's playcalling history is any indication of how the opportunities will be distributed, it looks like Shady will get the vast majority of touches (see Frank Gore). That being said, I don't get how so many of you guys are counting out Fredex. The age is clearly the biggest issue and without watching the game, doubting the 34-year-old guy playing the position that causes the most wear and tear is very sensible conclusion to come to. But Jackson is not your typical back. If he relied and top end speed and agility, or running guys over with brute force, he would've burned out a long time ago (the demise of most backs in the league). But Jackson doesn't rely on being athletically superior to anyone on the field; as you've all witnessed, he uses patience, vision and balance to optimize the space he is given, often just out of would-be tacklers reach and always falling forward.

The criticism I read here is that he's lost a step, but I don't see it. He is the guy that saved us in the opener last year against the Bears, despite critics saying the same thing. What has to be acknowledged is the complete lack of creativity and competence of the offensive playcalling last year, which I blame for the stagnant running game even more than the poor line play. Jackson's skill as a back (let's not forget his blocking) far outweighs the athleticism of most other backs, because a lot of them are more athletic and literally all of them are younger. Until he truly shows a drop off in performance, I'm not counting him out.

Ultimately its Whaley's decision to make, and by judging his moves to get Brown and drafting Williams I don't think he shares my opinion.

Fred is a great guy, but lets be honest, he has never taken this team to the Playoffs so this whole Fred Jackson still has it doesn't really resonate with me. BTW, i would be a great guy too if I was overpaid to be a mediocre back. Cut him. Both Fred and the Bills will be better off.

Yatta,yatta,yatta. It`s a business. Fred would be stealing a spot from any other back on the team. The other three were hall of fame players. Fred is a average rb in his best yrs. Only in Buff ,do some fans think he was the it. Let it go. Move on.

I guess I don't understand why some fans endlessly obsess about useless players like Goodwin, D'rrick and a few unknown scrubs on the practice squad, and then at the same time wish to see a guy who was the most productive RB on the team last year and who has devoted his entire career to the Bills (like Freddie) get cut? Is it really going to make the team better to cut Fred Jackson at the expense of keeping some guy who might play three downs all year?

I have no agenda, I like Fred, but he is not the best option for the Bills any more. He may not even be the 2nd. Nature of the beast.

He's probably not, but that doesn't mean he's not still a valuable member of the team. If there are 53 other guys that give the team a better chance to win then so be it, but I'd doubt that's the case.

I'd prefer that they just cut him now.

If they cut him now, all he'll do is get picked up by the Pats** who, I'm told, will skulphuck every NFL team on the way to yet another SB victory simply because they were accused of breaking a rule that shouldn't even be a rule.

So Fred would get a ring, which would be cool.

I can't see Fred getting cut. Right now, based on past performance, he is the 2nd best back on this team. That can change if Williams beats him in TC, but I still think he is around as the 3rd RB. Dixon is safe as a ST contributor. B. Brown may be the guy cut, or may be stashed for next year.

I guess I don't understand why some fans endlessly obsess about useless players like Goodwin, D'rrick and a few unknown scrubs on the practice squad, and then at the same time wish to see a guy who was the most productive RB on the team last year and who has devoted his entire career to the Bills (like Freddie) get cut? Is it really going to make the team better to cut Fred Jackson at the expense of keeping some guy who might play three downs all year?

1. I don't see anyone that wants Fred to be cut

2. You brought up Goodwin and Rodgers; who's obsessed?

Something that a lot of people fail to consider is that our team is becoming pretty solid, we have the luxury to start signing and drafting for depth instead of need. I think a good example of that would be the drafting of Darby and Williams. If they knock people's socks off in camp, they may get an opportunity sooner, if they take a year or two to develop- they are ready when we need them. I hope we are able to continually build our franchise like this- it's how perennial playoff teams operate

Couldn't agree with you more. Depth is the key to success. Look at NE Putzriots' running back Jonas Gray last year. Pulled from practice squad ran for 204 yards and 4 TDS. Then back to the bench. Depth wins championships. FJ will be #2 and the newbies will watch the veterans and learn.

I don't understand why he's either gotta be the extreme of "best on the team" or "worthless and should be let go"... why can't he just be a change of pace back that gets like 25% of the carries? I'm sure the lesser load will help keep him fresh as well.

Yes exactly. That's all that needs to be said.

Yes exactly. That's all that needs to be said.

You and Dorkington need to get out of here with your reasonable takes!! Pick a side: "Fred Jackson HOFer and greatest back of all-time" or "Fred Jackson washed up, over the hill, plodder, that should be sent to the glue factory."