Good look at Wham blocking scheme used by Roman in SF

This is great. It's nice to just talk football. Thanks for the links.

It seems we have the perfect pieces in place to run this scheme. McCoy is a tougher runner than he is given credit for and his vision is unreal.

I am not going to miss the old "Spiller up the middle for a half yard" play 20 times a game.

I agree it's nice to talk actual play rather than draft prospects. And Shady, despite his rep as a guy who dances, is not Spiller. He has far better vision and toughness. Seeing the holes in these blocking schemes, I think Shady might have another record season.

Why is it that I look at that and the name "John Miller" come up in my mind without saying it

I think it's pretty obvious they view him as a perfect scheme fit and had him higher than a lot of the "experts" who aren't being paid to make decisions for teams.

Why is it that I look at that and the name "John Miller" come up in my mind without saying it

I thought the same thing. My second thought was Fred could have really thrived in that blocking scheme in his prime a few years ago.

I thought the same thing. My second thought was Fred could have really thrived in that blocking scheme in his prime a few years ago.

Agree about Fred. He has that "flowing" running style. Nothing is super fast, but if there is a crease he will find it and fall forward.

I love Rex. I think he has made our team relevant again and will bring a confidence that we have needed for a long time. But as far as X's and O's, I am so pumped about Roman. I can not wait to watch this team on offense. I think we will finally be able to enjoy that side of the ball again.

I think it's pretty obvious they view him as a perfect scheme fit and had him higher than a lot of the "experts" who aren't being paid to make decisions for teams.

What is interesting is all the folks that disliked our draft dont understand that nearly every pick was a "Scheme fit"

Darby.....press cover corner......in your shorts all day.......a perfect Rex Ryan type DB

Miller.....power phone booth bowling ball OG with some pull ability and a nasty attitude

Karlos Williams......great ST player......powerful long stride runner

O'Leary.....HB player, Mackey award winnger (and several times runner up).......scheme fit in Romans offense

The rest of the guys I dont know about....but if the bills hit on THESE players.....oh boy

Thanks for posting. Although I've always been a zone scheme, I think Doug and Rex hve done a nice job acquiring talent to run the power. Felton, Clay, O'Leary and others are guys who can be that trap man. I hope Wood can play in this scheme, or at least better than he did last year. Henderson wi benefit from this IMO as he will be required to take less scooping blocks and focus solely on driving them man in front of him into the neighbors yard. Yolo is right, this offense is going to look 100 times different.

It also makes a lot of sense why they let CJ walk. This scheme requires grey vision as the holes develop. It isn't always run to daylight. I'll be interested to see how McCoy adapts.

Roman has also been known to put additional OLmen on the field. Now just imagine a 300+ pounder throwing one of those blocks.

they should have done that last year instead of putting Lee Smith out there, who was never a threat to catch a pass. Just line up Seantrel or Kouandjoie at "TE." Edited by YoloinOhio

they should have done that last year instead of putting Lee Smith out there, who was never a threat to catch a pass. Just line up Seantrel or Kouandjoue at "TE."

Can't see Marone or Hackett trying anything even remotely like that. I honestly think Marone thought he was doing the team a favor trying to teach OLmen the same way he was. Those schemes that Roman used are not really anything new but what they are is a matchup problem for defenses. Marone was determined to play a game that may have worked when he was a player but is now too easy to defend.

I always liked creative blocking schemes. I remember the days of a bruising FB crashing down on a DLine hearing that unforgettable sound just before a RB slipped through and took one to the house. Today the FB/RB combo isn't used as much. HBs are now used because they are more versatile. What Roman was successful with is using a combination of different players..... HB/FB/TE/OLman. The point is, he is capitalizing on different matchups. Going to be an interesting year for sure. Successful blocking can improve the run and the pass....provide our offense with a nice balanced attack.

Thanks for posting. Although I've always been a zone scheme, I think Doug and Rex hve done a nice job acquiring talent to run the power. Felton, Clay, O'Leary and others are guys who can be that trap man. I hope Wood can play in this scheme, or at least better than he did last year. Henderson wi benefit from this IMO as he will be required to take less scooping blocks and focus solely on driving them man in front of him into the neighbors yard. Yolo is right, this offense is going to look 100 times different.

It also makes a lot of sense why they let CJ walk. This scheme requires grey vision as the holes develop. It isn't always run to daylight. I'll be interested to see how McCoy adapts.

Actually......I think this fits Shady perfectly as well. His vision has always been considered as one of his best assets.

Can't see Marone or Hackett trying anything even remotely like that. I honestly think Marone thought he was doing the team a favor trying to teach OLmen the same way he was. Those schemes that Roman used are not really anything new but what they are is a matchup problem for defenses. Marone was determined to play a game that may have worked when he was a player but is now too easy to defend.

I always liked creative blocking schemes. I remember the days of a bruising FB crashing down on a DLine hearing that unforgettable sound just before a RB slipped through and took one to the house. Today the FB/RB combo isn't used as much. HBs are now used because they are more versatile. What Roman was successful with is using a combination of different players..... HB/FB/TE/OLman. The point is, he is capitalizing on different matchups. Going to be an interesting year for sure. Successful blocking can improve the run and the pass....provide our offense with a nice balanced attack.

Bully

Roman has also been known to put additional OLmen on the field. Now just imagine a 300+ pounder throwing one of those blocks.

Kromer used that as a way to get projects game experience too. Strief being a prime example.