Brady to be SUSPENDED next week according to report

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: Fantastic

One if the funnier posts on page one included this tasty gem:

"We want to see this fought tooth and nail and we do not care what it costs us.".

I understand the passion for the game but sometimes these guys have to get out of their grandma's basement and get some sun on their face.

Half of them are writing letters to Kraft telling him to stick up for Brady lol. Gotta hand it to them, they are sticking to their guns.

Don't go to the pats message boards, it will sicken you. Vast majority saying the NFL is out to get them and poor tom is being framed.

Someone presented the glaring stat that pats fumble inordinately less than other teams since 2007, and there were hundreds of posters trying to say its pure coincidence (its not), some even said its because tom knows how to hand off the ball so its tucked away better and less prone to fumbles.

Total joke. I know there are decent and legit pats fans out there, but man their message boards are chock full of complete idiots right now.

Don't go to the pats message boards, it will sicken you. Vast majority saying the NFL is out to get them and poor tom is being framed.

Someone presented the glaring stat that pats fumble inordinately less than other teams since 2007....

Is the statistical analysis that you quote legit? There are a number of articles saying that the original analysis was amateurish .I believe a number of prominent posters here have already pointed that out as well. Nothing worse than stats being misused.

Is the statistical analysis that you quote legit? There are a number of articles saying that the original analysis was amateurish .I believe a number of prominent posters here have already pointed that out as well. Nothing worse than stats being misused.

check out 538.com's comments - partway down - on this very subject

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/fivethirtyeight-dissects-the-deflategate-report/

eball - we are going to need to work out the proper grammar for Brady*. Wouldn't it be Brady*'s not Brady's* I don't want anything to separate Brady* from his misdeeds. Even a space between the y and * are unacceptable according to my thinking.

This has to be the best off-season ever.

Agreed. Brady*'s is proper form.

check out 538.com's comments - partway down - on this very subject

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/fivethirtyeight-dissects-the-deflategate-report/

Excellent read. Like I said earlier in the thread...Brady* is screwed.

"I like to push the limits of how much air we can put in the football, even go over what they allow you to do,"

It’s not an advantage when you have a football that’s inflated more than average air pressure. We’re not kicking these footballs,”

He said there should be no maximum pressure rule. Others obviously believe there should be no minimum pressure.

This brings us to the point I've not heard raised yet--why not let every QB pick his pressure? Obviously there is a minimum pressure where the ball can't be thrown. Barring that, your left with a range of about 3-4 psi difference in what Brady preferred and what Rodgers was doing to the ball.

I like how you omit half of his quote to make your point... 'I like to push the limit to how much air we can put in the football, even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take air out of it.'

Another update (opinion piece):

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/10/no-decisions-have-been-made-on-tom-brady-yet/

this one has the interesting caveat of, "...four games minimum plus indefinite suspension until phone turned over"

my two cents - I doubt the NFL would go to that extreme (the phone part).

Wasn't Brady using his wife's phone? I forget exactly where I read that. Someone who has paid closer attention please remind me! If he did that consistently, that was smart, but underscore he knew he was doing something wrong.

I like how you omit half of his quote to make your point... 'I like to push the limit to how much air we can put in the football, even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take air out of it.'

Noticed that too, come on WEO. That's embarrassing.

You are referring to the game that the Bills D layed down in the second half. That non-fumble wasn't a factgor in the outcome.

What you don't know, however, is how the game would have turned if the ball DID come out and Buffalo DID recover it. You simply don't know because if a Buffalo ball at that point the game shifts the entire game from that moment forward.

Instead, he was able to hold onto the ball. Why? Because he's a cheater.

I'm guessing Brady gets a four game suspension.

I'm wondering if Brady's performance suffers after the suspension because The Deflator isn't prepping his balls anymore.

And I wonder if the Pats fumble more.

This will be an interesting year in Foxboro.

Edited by hondo in seattle

It's never easy to learn that your heroes aren't what they appear to be. Fans of Bonds, Armstrong, Jones, etc. still think they were framed/their actions didn't help them/it's all jealousy.

First of all, on the Colts point, as Sharp and others have noted and as common sense would dictate, dome teams (like the Colts) fumble at a much lower rate naturally than those teams that play outdoors, particularly outdoors in bad weather. That explains why the Pats** are such outliers--their numbers alone are more comparable to dome teams. He goes into that in detail his analysis. DC Tom and others have poked some holes in his analysis, but personally I think his general point still stands. Maybe we'll find out going forward--like if the Pats**' fumbling stats come back to earth next year.

You asked for an example of a specific play and I gave you one--a big one in fact. You're telling me that a huge strip sack play like that back in New England's own end (it was in the second quarter on the Pats**' 23 yard line when the game was 7-0) that might possibly have gone for a TD as bouncing ball strip sacks deep in a backfield often do would have made no difference in a game that was within one score with 5 minutes to play? Give me a break.

You have been mightily absent on these Brady threads, but are now here in full-throated defense of your favorite team. I just have to ask--are you on their payroll?

Yet another data point in full view this week showing that the cheatingest organization in sports hasn't changed its spots one whit. One of us would have predicted that and one of us predicts that this isn't the last of such scandals for the boys from Foxboro that we'll see. That organization rots from the top on down, as more and more folks are realizing.

Hey, now that Dennard got cut last week by the Pats** he might actually get that time off we were talking about last year for his DUI plea that got him a 60 day jail sentence, but no League punishment? Remember that? Only a season or so too late (and, importantly, on someone else's nickel other than Bob Kraft's).

When the analysis shifted to ALL fumbles, instead of fumbles lost (which is what it should have been all along), NE is behind ATL and INDY. The author simpley states that dome teams fumnle less because the ball isn't wet from rain and "late night condensation". Yet he doesn't mention that dome teams play half of their games on the road, which may not be in domes. He also doesn't show how many games are actually played in the rain (I'm guessing it's a small minority).

As for that NE game, the Bills forced a punt on that drive (it was 9 minutes before the half, not 5) and then scored a TD on their next drive to tie it up 7-7. But then NE scored 2 more times before the half. They score 24 more points in the second half...

"Mightily absent"? You must be joking. I contibuted what I thought was reasonable in the last round of dozens of TDB "deflategate" threads when the story first broke weeks ago. I already predicted 4 games for Brady. What more is there to say? The Wells report confirms what was suspected, now everyone here is just reposting what they have said in the past. Not everyone feels compelled to devote 50% of their posts the patriots, you know..

And if they don't? He's telling you he's cheating and if he gets caught, oh well...and then he does it again. It's already been reported that the refs don't document pressures before they hand the balls back to the teams before the games.

What's the difference if Rodgers inflates the balls to an "illegal' high and it doesn't get caught by the refs ball check pre game, compared to what Brady did? The method is different, the intent is exactly the same--get a perceived advantage by altering the pressure of the ball to outside acceptable levels?

And if they don't? He's telling you he's cheating and if he gets caught, oh well...and then he does it again. It's already been reported that the refs don't document pressures before they hand the balls back to the teams before the games.

What's the difference if Rodgers inflates the balls to an "illegal' high and it doesn't get caught by the refs ball check pre game, compared to what Brady did? The method is different, the intent is exactly the same--get a perceived advantage by altering the pressure of the ball to outside acceptable levels?

What's the difference? Seriously? Rogers is following the process. It's not his job to double-check and correct the pressure of the balls presented. That's the role of the referees. Brady bribed someone to sneak the balls off-camera to reduce the pressure, lied, and did not cooperate with an NFL investigation.

As most reasonable people have said, the cover-up has been worse than the offense. But the approach itself affirms they knew it was wrong and should be dealt with harshly. I would have thought only a minor fine or warning would be all that was warranted if McNally had reduced the pressure in front of the refs.

When the analysis shifted to ALL fumbles, instead of fumbles lost (which is what it should have been all along), NE is behind ATL and INDY. The author simpley states that dome teams fumnle less because the ball isn't wet from rain and "late night condensation". Yet he doesn't mention that dome teams play half of their games on the road, which may not be in domes. He also doesn't show how many games are actually played in the rain (I'm guessing it's a small minority).

As for that NE game, the Bills forced a punt on that drive (it was 9 minutes before the half, not 5) and then scored a TD on their next drive to tie it up 7-7. But then NE scored 2 more times before the half. They score 24 more points in the second half...

"Mightily absent"? You must be joking. I contibuted what I thought was reasonable in the last round of dozens of TDB "deflategate" threads when the story first broke weeks ago. I already predicted 4 games for Brady. What more is there to say? The Wells report confirms what was suspected, now everyone here is just reposting what they have said in the past. Not everyone feels compelled to devote 50% of their posts the patriots, you know..

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt, I see.

How's that non-existent Dennard suspension working for 'ya?

I should elaborate on that last bit. About a year ago WEO and I were discussing Alphonzo Dennard's (a Pats** DB) lack of League suspension for a DUI plea that got him a 60 day sentence as it was also a probation violation. WEO said just wait until the season starts before drawing conclusions about League favoritism. Lo and behold the season came and went without a suspension, probably because to suspend him the first four while Browner was also out on suspension would leave the Cheats-** bereft of corners. Dennard was cut last week--I'm betting his suspension is coming a season late on someone else's nickel.

Edited by MattM

There is a difference between an official not doing their job, and altering an already inspected football.

What's the difference? Seriously? Rogers is following the process. It's not his job to double-check and correct the pressure of the balls presented. That's the role of the referees. Brady bribed someone to sneak the balls off-camera to reduce the pressure, lied, and did not cooperate with an NFL investigation.

As most reasonable people have said, the cover-up has been worse than the offense. But the approach itself affirms they knew it was wrong and should be dealt with harshly. I would have thought only a minor fine or warning would be all that was warranted if McNally had reduced the pressure in front of the refs.

I agree about the cover-up. But Rodgers is illegally over inflating the balls to his assumed advantage (and I have no problem with that either--QBs should be able to adjust the pressure as they and their WRs/RBs prefer. Let everyone do it and there is no preferential advantage) and counting on the fact that refs really don't closely (until now) inspect the balls pre game. He knows he has too much air in there, but he assumes he won't get busted, and if he does, next time maybe he won't. His intent was the same as Brady's.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt, I see.

How's that non-existent Dennard suspension working for 'ya?

I should elaborate on that last bit. About a year ago WEO and I were discussing Alphonzo Dennard's (a Pats** DB) lack of League suspension for a DUI plea that got him a 60 day sentence as it was also a probation violation. WEO said just wait until the season starts before drawing conclusions about League favoritism. Lo and behold the season came and went without a suspension, probably because to suspend him the first four while Browner was also out on suspension would leave the Cheats-** bereft of corners. Dennard was cut last week--I'm betting his suspension is coming a season late on someone else's nickel.

Yes, NE had to make due with Revis at CB. Good thing the League allowed NE to keep on the roster (he saw action in 6 games) a guy the don't want anymore (even without Revis).

But since you were unable to respond to a single thing I said in my response to your last post, I'm going to concede this Dennard thing you keep bizarrely trotting out when you don't have anything of substance to say. You win.......something or other on your Dennard penalty sub-fetish. You got me!

Your quiver is now empty...

There is a difference between an official not doing their job, and altering an already inspected football.

As I said above. The intent is the same, whether it's altered before or after an inspection. Brady's method was more efficient at getting altered balls into the game than Rodgers's, that's all.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Umm, Brady conspired to alter the balls AFTER they were inspected. Rogers didn't. Huge difference. The issue is far less about air pressure and far more about a deliberate attempt to tamper with equipment after the official inspection was complete.

Edited by Thurmal34