Dante Fowler, Jeff Heuerman tear ACL in rookie camp

Yeah in the grand scheme of things these type of injuries are no big deal anymore other than having a lengthy and painful rehab...

I dont know what that means ?

Lengthy and painful rehab are no big deal ?

Sure a full recovery is possible but no big deal? maybe to you and me as fans . :thumbdown:

That really sucks. Period.

This.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know what that means ?

Lengthy and painful rehab are no big deal ?

Sure a full recovery is possible but no big deal? maybe to you and me as fans . :thumbdown:

I meant from being able to come back and play at the same level they were at prior to the injury....

before you get an ACL tear and you likely wouldn't be able to ever be the same player again...now its just 9 months of work but then you are as good as new, sometimes better even

Oh yes Agreed !. modern medicine has really made progress for athletes. and its a trickle down of sorts. Sports medicine has helped more than just athletes btw.

but talk to a player who has to rehab such an injury , and stay focused and patient for 3/4s plus of a year and its no small beans.

Makes me sick to my stomach to see this stuff...but, he got drafted and got that contract signed.

At least he's not preparing for his senior season of college football, and having this happen.

yeah, I think that a couple of UDFAs also tore ACLs today. Have to feel much worse for them.

Oh yes Agreed !. modern medicine has really made progress for athletes. and its a trickle down of sorts. Sports medicine has helped more than just athletes btw.

but talk to a player who has to rehab such an injury , and stay focused and patient for 3/4s plus of a year and its no small beans.

I can't get too worked up about this. It's an occupational hazard, and more likely than not a Bill will have the same injury before the year is out. It's the equivalent of a ucl tear for hard throwing pitchers - it's just what happens as a comsequence of the job. He'll likely be fine.

I can't get too worked up about this. It's an occupational hazard, and more likely than not a Bill will have the same injury before the year is out. It's the equivalent of a ucl tear for hard throwing pitchers - it's just what happens as a comsequence of the job. He'll likely be fine.

Agreed the recovery rate is fantastic these days. But from a humanistic and personal standpoint i think it just sucks to be out for the season and the rehab is no small effort

Why is this injury so common now?

The knee, in all it's glory, is actually relatively fragile when compared to other joints in the body. Now, I'm not a doctor (fitness consultant), so take this with a grain of salt, but my belief is this:

The upper-leg is very muscular, while the knee area and lower leg are significantly less so, and the knee is not only load-bearing, but also a pivot point and stabilizing point for all of that mass and movement...that's a lot of stress that the knee joint needs to handle.

The ACL itself is designed to prevent the femur (thigh bone) from collapsing back on the tibia (lower leg bone). Given the amount of explosive movement from a standstill that football players (and other pro athletes) perform, it's not surprising that the ACL would be put under significantly more stress than in other walks of life.

Factor in that today's athletes are bigger, stronger, faster, and more explosive at earlier ages than we've ever seen in human history, and it's not surprising the number of non-contact ACL injuries we see on an annual basis.

That's my summary...hopefully some medical professional(s) will chime in and let me know what I've hosed up here.

The knee, in all it's glory, is actually relatively fragile when compared to other joints in the body. Now, I'm not a doctor (fitness consultant), so take this with a grain of salt, but my belief is this:

The upper-leg is very muscular, while the knee area and lower leg are significantly less so, and the knee is not only load-bearing, but also a pivot point and stabilizing point for all of that mass and movement...that's a lot of stress that the knee joint needs to handle.

The ACL itself is designed to prevent the femur (thigh bone) from collapsing back on the tibia (lower leg bone). Given the amount of explosive movement from a standstill that football players (and other pro athletes) perform, it's not surprising that the ACL would be put under significantly more stress than in other walks of life.

Factor in that today's athletes are bigger, stronger, faster, and more explosive at earlier ages than we've ever seen in human history, and it's not surprising the number of non-contact ACL injuries we see on an annual basis.

That's my summary...hopefully some medical professional(s) will chime in and let me know what I've hosed up here.

That makes a lot of sense. On first glance, it seems odd that professional athletes are tearing up their knees without anyone even touching them.

But I think that you hit the nail on the head with the increased size/explosiveness of today's athletes. Muscles have gotten bigger, but ACL's are the same old model that isn't optimal for huge men moving at high speeds.

It's just part of sports. I tore mine playing soccer (non contact), my brother tore both his 1 playing soccer 1 playing lacrosse... It's just a very common sports injury. The difference in the modern day is that they are diagnosed with mri and surgically repaired.

Thurman played without one, Heinz ward, Elway and Namath did too.

Probably loads of others.

"He’s being evaluated. We’ll know more tonight," Bradley said. "I didn’t really see what happened – it happened off to my side." Offensive line coach Doug Marrone was questioned about the incident to which he replied "I didn't know he was even out there".

hahaha