Bills fall to 19 in ESPN Post Draft Rankings

As has been noted, the powers that be at ESPN didn't like the Bills' draft. Compare ESPN's opinion of the Bills vs. the multitude on this board who think the Bills are "loaded" with talent. As is often the case in life, the truth probably lies somewhere in between, but unless whomever emerges as the Bills's QB performs no worse than average, at best the Bills will likely be fighting for a wild card spot.

EDIT: Correction, Bills fall to 18th, not 19th, still down one from pre-draft

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2015/week/0

Edited by IronyAbounds

I don't ever read much into power rankings or any of that.

With that said I think we will see another year like we saw last year. Don't think we will be good enough to beat out the Patriots, they are just so consistently good year in and year out, but we will be in the thick of the Wild Card hunt until the last week of the season, IMO.

Hopefully we finally get in, but until we find a QB it won't matter, our cap is probably a 2nd round loss in the playoffs.

I think the cap is a first round loss, but I'm more or less right with you in these comments.

We will continue to lack respect from the national media until we prove we deserve it.

I couldn't care less what ESPN thinks about the Bills' chances of success. It doesn't matter.

I really don't understand basing the power ranking "post draft". They drafted players that haven't played a down in pro football. Maybe they are just looking a he roster from last year and adding the draft picks and not counting free agency. How does this team get better on both defense and offense but get worse?

I really don't understand basing the power ranking "post draft". They drafted players that haven't played a down in pro football. Maybe they are just looking a he roster from last year and adding the draft picks and not counting free agency. How does this team get better on both defense and offense but get worse?

Agreed. It doesn't make a ton of sense.

My subjective opinion is that this team has to be slightly better than last year, at worst.

We also have the potential to be a good bit better than last year's team.

I don't see how we regress.

That strikes me as crazy. We aren't going to win the Superbowl, but we are better than that, aren't we!?

Essentially middle of the pack .500 team as a projection. Probably 10 fit the bill - 2 or 3 will get lucky with health, good bounces etc, 2-3 won't. 15 vs 18 in May is like arguing 6 vs a half dozen and there's no way to say we are separated from that group until we see qb play.

Essentially middle of the pack .500 team as a projection. Probably 10 fit the bill - 2 or 3 will get lucky with health, good bounces etc, 2-3 won't. 15 vs 18 in May is like arguing 6 vs a half dozen and there's no way to say we are separated from that group until we see qb play.

You do a nice job of laying out the sobering reality.

:cry:

It has not been this clear for the Bills in a long time. With their quarterback play, goes the season. I believe Roman will build a competant o-line for the running game and pass protection. All of the other positions rate above average, like receiver, to near the league best at runningback and d-line. If Cassel plays out of his mind, the Bills are 11-5, 12-4. If he plays better than expected, probably 10-6. And if he plays like Matt Cassell, it's 9-7, 8-8, or disaster. He's not very good I'm afraid, and the Bills won't make the playoffs. How many playoff teams in the past five years had a not very good quarterback... Sanchez and Dalton, and Dalton's regular season numbers have been solid for the most part.

As has been noted, the powers that be at ESPN didn't like the Bills' draft. Compare ESPN's opinion of the Bills vs. the multitude on this board who think the Bills are "loaded" with talent. As is often the case in life, the truth probably lies somewhere in between, but unless whomever emerges as the Bills's QB performs no worse than average, at best the Bills will likely be fighting for a wild card spot.

EDIT: Correction, Bills fall to 18th, not 19th, still down one from pre-draft

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2015/week/0

Almost every single other media outlet recognizes we were a good team that improved this offseason through FA. It's pretty much just one (along with their troll) who isn't giving us any credit.

It has not been this clear for the Bills in a long time. With their quarterback play, goes the season. I believe Roman will build a competant o-line for the running game and pass protection. All of the other positions rate above average, like receiver, to near the league best at runningback and d-line. If Cassel plays out of his mind, the Bills are 11-5, 12-4. If he plays better than expected, probably 10-6. And if he plays like Matt Cassell, it's 9-7, 8-8, or disaster. He's not very good I'm afraid, and the Bills won't make the playoffs. How many playoff teams in the past five years had a not very good quarterback... Sanchez and Dalton, and Dalton's regular season numbers have been solid for the most part.

I have to believe we are at least 5% better based on having a real coaching staff this year alone.

We have retained relevant talent and added talent all over the field.

Then you have the Orton for Cassel swap.

Our QB play last year was among the worst in the NFL and, overall, below average.

If that improves even marginally, given the other improvements, I see us being 1 or 2 wins better than last year.

That may be good enough for a playoff berth.

We have to see. I see this as our absolute upside for the season.

Serious question....if Mike Rodent fell into Great White Shark infested waters covered in Chum would bills fans throw him a rope?

........im thinking........

2 questions:

Does throwing him a rope presume you'll continue to hold one end of it?

If not, can the end of the rope instead be attached to a large non-buoyant object... an anchor, for instance?

I have to believe we are at least 5% better based on having a real coaching staff this year alone.

Our QB play last year was among the worst in the NFL and, overall, below average.

If that improves even marginally, given the other improvements, I see us being 1 or 2 wins better than last year.

I agree we are a better team, if from HC alone ... but, so much depends on a bounce one way or another, game momentum, bad calls for or against us, etc. etc. We could be a 25% better team and still finish 8-8. Or we could be a marginally better team and go 11-5. We could also be a marginally better team and go 7-9. That's why game day is so much fun!

But no other teams got better too? Miami and the Jets added talent too. The Pats still have Brady. Pittsburgh's defense got younger. Philip Rivers is still in San Diego and has a new RB. Manning and Luck's teams added talent too - though I don't like the moves the Colts made. Hell even the Raiders had a good off-season. To make the playoffs they have to climb over somebody. I think the Chiefs, Ravens, and Bengals are the most likely to fall out of the playoff chase. With Denver and New England not far behind. Denver's defense is good but not great. Any injury to Brady or Manning that lasts for more than a few games might be the only thing it will take for them to miss the playoffs in a very tight AFC.

I think the cap is a first round loss, but I'm more or less right with you in these comments.

We will continue to lack respect from the national media until we prove we deserve it.

I couldn't care less what ESPN thinks about the Bills' chances of success. It doesn't matter.

agreed and ok with it...When we did have the 4-1 start, I think we were ranked in the Top-3.