What moment started it all?

The foundation to any success was started before the Pegulas. In fact even before Nix. No need to name the players here when Nix took over, We all know the names. Some Are still'here yet.

So this is your answer to the original question then.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not surprised by your take but I strongly disagree. Littman still plays a crucial role as the capologist, and Brandon did a fantastic job of righting the ship. This thing began to turn around when a legitimate "football man" like Nix starting picking players, was able to get guys like Merriman and Mario to buy in, and then really made the turn when Ralph finally turned things over to Brandon. The Pegulas are the icing on the cake that will now solidify the turnaround and complete the Bills' rise back to prominence.

Edit: obvious goof here; Overdorf is the capologist, not Littman.

Overdorf was about to be drawn and quartered be for Ralph died. That just goes to show the dark cloud Ralph hung over the organization. If nothing else. This past off season shows what talent we really have in the front office. I honestly dont think we are a qb away. I think we are a coaching staff away. Anyone who truly can play to this teams strengths is gonna go far!!!!

I honestly dont know where that exactly ties to but I do know that some strange change of events is where it all started. Ralph backing out was a huge point. But i would have to say Mario was the start point for all of it

when did its start?

Or when did it get undone. The team was treading water at best. even with Nix even with Mario , under Wanny dont forget!

The Curse, if lifted , is surely the Pegulas.

My signature will remain.

Its so on.

I wonder how it will feel? when we attain greatness. Will we become all smarmy and like the other dillbucks we loathe? Like say Patriots.

I just hope we folks here can keep it real when we are the Dynasty, Sabres and Bills ruling the Earth

So this is your answer to the original question then.

i was commenting on your reply. levitre ,Woods, Kyle, Fred, you know,the names. one of these guys is still playing at a pro bowl level. IMO hope and change (pun intended) came about the time Pegula got the keys. You could feel it in the stadium that Sunday against the pats* But yea the new regime has a whole lot to prove.

Buddy got more wrong than right. i will stand by that. But, he did get Whaley. And lately he seems to doing some good things.

I gotta say that it was the hiring of Buddy Nix.

He set this team up for the future. (To where we now find ourselves.)

Before he came aboard, this entire organization was a dumpster fire.

Marrone opting out--one of the best things ever to happen to this franchise, and a major turning point.

That's a good one.

Another one that was a major one although of course not THE most important, was Mark Poloncranz drafting the Erie County lease that didn't allow the Bills to leave. I never really thought the Bills were leaving, and always thought The Pegulas or someone from Buffalo would step up and buy the team, but it eliminated the chance of some other billionaire swooping in and doing something stupid.

IMO, that Moment hasn't arrived yet. Our 9-7 record last year was a reverse mirage of the previous years where we routinely snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Were it not for being the undefeated 'champs' of the NFC North, we'd have sucked like every other year this century.

Now, can/will that 'moment' arrive this season? Ans: if we're 2-0, THATS the Moment!

Wow

So if the Pegula's took the Bills over without all of the good/great players the Nix and Whaley regimes have brought in, you think the Bills would still have a chance at being as good as we think they will?

We've seen the Bills begin to turn the corner a few different times over the course of the 15 year drought, the Pegula's have legitimized this franchise far beyond anything prior. If Ralph was still alive I seriously doubt Jerry Hughes stays in Buffalo, we would also be watching Marcel Dareus playing his final season here, and Ralph was notorious for allowing good offensive lineman to walk away so we would probably be saying goodbye to Cordy Glenn also. Once again we would have witnessed the Bills begin to turn the corner. Right now does anybody doubt the Pegula's are going to do everything they can to keep those players, because I think you can pretty safely say Ralph wouldn't have.

IMO, that Moment hasn't arrived yet. Our 9-7 record last year was a reverse mirage of the previous years where we routinely snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Were it not for being the undefeated 'champs' of the NFC North, we'd have sucked like every other year this century.

Now, can/will that 'moment' arrive this season? Ans: if we're 2-0, THATS the Moment!

Tough for me to argue that both Orton / Schwartz had a lot to do with that 9-7 record, and now both are gone. Then the Patriots sat Brady in that last game or its 8-8.

Watching the Bills choke so badly in Oakland last year with the playoffs on the line reinforces the thought that this franchise isn't even close to a playoff berth just yet.

Rex Ryan as the Bills HC hasn't proven anything yet, and Whaley still hasn't even adequately replaced OG Andy Levitre. No franchise QB, and the players they have at QB on the roster will be hard pressed to perform very well behind an O line of maybes.

Winning the division or a playoff game would be the pivotal turning point for me, and until that happens nothing has really changed for me.

So the Bills beat Green Bay, Detroit, Chicago, and Minnesota, but you are saying if it wasn't for those wins, the Bills suck? But they didn't lose to those teams, so I don't get how you can take those wins away from them. To try and prove a point? Had they made the playoffs, I wonder if you'd still be trying to discredit those 4 wins. The Bills are a team on the rise. Getting better each year as they go (finally). They aren't at the top yet, but to take anything away from them to play the "what if" game in order to say they are as bad as always, IMO, is just not fair. Edited by FLbills

It was getting Nix back. We were a laughing stock before he came back. When Buddy came back Ralph pretty much exited stage left, my guess is that Buddy being around as long as he had would not have taken the job unless he had the autonomy to do what he saw fit. Barring him getting catfished on the phone call, it has been a very well ran ship since.

I think it was when Nix became GM. While it didn't translate to wins during his tenure, the uptick in the talent level began at that time. Plus, I think he brought some credibility and respectability back to the front office and the team that has since allowed them to attract major free agents. I can understand why some don't see it that way, but to me, that point of demarcation between 'laughingstock' and return to credibility clearly happened in his tenure.