Don't Sleep on Goodwin

Sanners

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just can't build facets of your game plan around a guy that is 50-50 to be knocked out with injury on any given play.

and how do we predict that?

History is often used. But rather blindly at times.

Every NFL player most likely plays with injuries. Look at Stevie , just for for fun. the groin.Recurring.

Spiller , Jackson. Fitz Chandler etc.

Vincec you have a reasonable point. But the coaches know better than us on the details , the whys and wherefores, and then decide.

Put D Lewis on the PS start Hogan and Glass and see what happens.

I am willing to give glass another chance. But it will be hard for him to crack the gameday roster, IMO (especially if they activate guys like Easley abd thigpen on STs).

If he stays healthy through camp, I think he will flash enough to merit a spot on the game day roster. I think Roman will find enough ways to use him, even if it's only for a handful of plays on Sundays. That's complete speculation of course, and depends on him being healthy which is the big unknown, but in my opinion he's clearly the 4th best WR in that room.

Edited by GreggyT

If he stays healthy through camp, I think he will flash enough to merit a spot on the game day roster. I think Roman will find enough ways to use him, even if it's only for a handful of plays on Sundays. That's complete speculation of course, and depends on him being healthy which is the big unknown, but in my opinion he's clearly the 4th best WR in that room.

I think you are right. Based on pure talent, he has got to be the 4th best (with edge over Hogan).

I will be curious though how many WRs they dress. With Roman, I could see him dressing relatively few, and opting for more TEs and RBs.

I think you are right. Based on pure talent, he has got to be the 4th best (with edge over Hogan).

I will be curious though how many WRs they dress. With Roman, I could see him dressing relatively few, and opting for more TEs and RBs.

You could be right. I have no idea what this offense is going to look like in then end (or even in training camp). But it sure will be fun to see how it shakes out. There are so many options and weapons for Roman (along with key questions) I think he's going to cook up some exciting stuff -- if only in comparison to the past few seasons. :beer:

I certainly wouldn't label Goodwin injury prone yet, and he's a lot faster than Parrish was (who was more quick than blazing).

I agree 100%

The thing is, was Percy Harvin signed to be a stronger Goodwin? If so, there is a need for another possession receiver, especially given the departure of the much maligned Chandler.

Btw, when I saw Goodwin run back a TD on a kickoff, it almost knocked me out of my chair. I never saw a player get through the crowd that fast after receiving the kick, and I was around for Mel Gray. That said, I have no idea of how healthy he is and I think that when the smoke clears, this will be the deciding factor between keeping Goodwin or Hogan.

Jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC

I just listened to the interview, paying attention to hear the bits I read about on Twitter. He seems really happy with the new staff, relieved there was a regime change.Seems Marrone and company did not like Goodwin and, in Goodwin's eyes, mislead the fans into thinking he was being kept out because of injuries when that was not the case.

I agree 100%

The thing is, was Percy Harvin signed to be a stronger Goodwin? If so, there is a need for another possession receiver, especially given the departure of the much maligned Chandler.

Btw, when I saw Goodwin run back a TD on a kickoff, it almost knocked me out of my chair. I never saw a player get through the crowd that fast after receiving the kick, and I was around for Mel Gray. That said, I have no idea of how healthy he is and I think that when the smoke clears, this will be the deciding factor between keeping Goodwin or Hogan.

Jmo.

People often say they think a team signing a player with similar skills may jeopardize a player's security on the team. While this may be true sometimes, I often think of another aspect: if a team is going to commit any amount of their playbook to plays that leverage that skill. Having a number of speedy receivers on the team I think bodes well for Goodwin getting a lot of snaps. His forte is something Roman can count on to exploit defenses.

With two fullbacks on the team (for now at least) I think we may well see a lot of FB plays. The less obvious point is that if Roman does create a lot of FB plays, I wouldn't be completely surprised if we keep 2 FBs on the final 53 so the offense isn't forced to remove certain plays from a particular game due to personnel availability, or run the play with "square peg" players filling in.

2 FBs is maybe not the best example. Keeping 2 FBs does seem like a luxury, but one the Bills might choose over keeping a ST guy.

Please explain as this relates to Goodwin.

Ummmm... Because he's had 44 touches and 3-4 injuries and one of his injuries happened in practice when he wasn't touched, it was a hammy. So he doesn't get hurt half the plays. He's surely not weak, he's tough as hell, and probably not fragile. So far in his two years he has been a little injury prone. It's possible it will continue and possible it won't. He's not at all just a track guy and he's way more talented as a football player than his main competition Chris Hogan.

I agree 100%

Jmo.

I think they keep both. Both can play.