Don't Sleep on Goodwin

Sanners

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He had four games over 50 yards receiving his rookie year. As someone mentioned, home against the Jets that year (2013) he went 6-81-1 and an additional 17 yards on a reverse, then he only had one target the entire rest of the season. Made zero sense...

He had four games over 50 yards receiving his rookie year. As someone mentioned, home against the Jets that year (2013) he went 6-81-1 and an additional 17 yards on a reverse, then he only had one target the entire rest of the season. Made zero sense...

its makes sense in Marrone-land. I mean, since he had been successful, teams would expect him to be targeted. So he ran CJ up the middle. #trickydoug Edited by YoloinOhio

This is the thing

We are talking about the 4/5 wide receivers now

We just brought in a top 100 player in TE clay and we just drafted the Mackey award (and several times runner up) TE in O'Leary

There is going to be even LESS plays for that 4th/5th wide receiver.......so they whoever stays needs to be able to play very good ST's

I think that this is a very good point, that the 4th/5th WR(Hogan or Goodwin) will get even less plays on this roster due to the excess of talent we have.....and it has helped me form a preference now for Goodwin.

My logic is as follows. Assuming that Hogan is the more consistent receiver(though I'm not fully convinced that this is the case), he would be the obvious selection over Goodwin when determining the #3 WR as the role would likely involve the need for the best hands to achieve 3rd downs, and the benefits of having blazing speed would be somewhat reduced.

The 4th/5th WR however is often a different situation. As you pointed out, they are only used sparingly on the field. Having a guy whose sheer presence on the field can effect the D(minimally forcing safety to factor him in on decision making), and who can theoretically take a chunk of yards on the rare occasions where he does get the ball is far more advantageous than having the better hands/route runner.

Adding a small(or even decent) percent chance of ball completion on a small percent of a very small number of plays adds very little compared to being able to effect all of those very small number of plays and have a theoretically bigger result when ball is actually caught.

I think the ST aspect is a wash as both Hogan and Goodwin contribute. Goodwin likely gets the nod here as keeping Goodwin allows the cutting of Thigpen.

I am still hoping we keep both, but for this season(only this season as Harvin is only on a 1 year deal) I now think Goodwin will get the roster spot over Hogan.