Was the trade for Watkins worth it?

Luxy312

Just as long as it doesnt ruin your Friday night......

Too bad Bradford cant stay healthy...which is just as big a part of the equation......

I agreed with the trade...but also agree what regardless we are where we are....and people crying in the milk about Whaley being aggressive are going to need to move on.

This thread is about revisiting the trade, so, while I agree that we all need to move on, this thread isn't the place for that.

As for Whaley being aggressive, I like it, I just wish he would be that aggressive with the QB position. I would have loved for him to go after Bradford, Foles or Cutler. I know all 3 are flawed, but all 3 are better than anything we have.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is about revisiting the trade, so, while I agree that we all need to move on, this thread isn't the place for that.

As for Whaley being aggressive, I like it, I just wish he would be that aggressive with the QB position. I would have loved for him to go after Bradford, Foles or Cutler. I know all 3 are flawed, but all 3 are better than anything we have.

I had heard that they did have "conversations" about Bradford, but the Rams wanted a starting QB or 1st round pick in return.

I'm so sick of this being bantered in the media. Was he worth it? So far, no. Will he eventually be worth it? Maybe. He has shown flashes of elite talent, but also has been injury prone and has a tendency for alligator arms in traffic. I'd like to think he'll become a pro-bowl receiver, but anyone who says they know either way is just guessing. Let's see how the year plays out. Until then, I'm reserving judgment.

The two obvious options close to Sammy were Evans and Bekham Jr. (but, if it was up to me, I would have grabbed Mosley and waited until 2nd or 3rd round for the WR)

I'd rather have invested in defense (Mosley) or even OL (one of the OT's).

You'd rather have spent another precious resource on the 3rd ranked defense than the 20+ ranked O? Wha? And which OT, be specific please. You can't say a draft choice sucks without giving specifics.

I wanted Mosley, going into draft we were thin at LB, Bradham hadn't proven himself, Brown wasn't on roster. So, I thought Mosley should have been the pick. As for OL, I was okay with any of the top 4 (Matthews, Robinson, Lewan and Martin).

I think the Bills (including Whaley), haven't spent enough time finding a true proven NFL QB. To me, that's the first, second, third and fourth priorities.

So, besides signing ~10 QB's since 2013, they haven't spent enough time? How do you figure? Not one sentence ago you said you'd rather have had them take a linebacker with our first round pick, but we haven't spent enough time finding QB's? What?

Big difference between using a 1st rd pick on OL, LB or WR and using 2 1st Rd picks, that's the issue. You limit your ability this year to use that asset to acquire a QB. As for Bills making QB a priority, including this year's draft, we would have selected ONE QB in the 1st or 2nd round in the past 11 drafts !!! ONE. That is ignoring the most important position. Don't give me signing 10 QB's; Kolb ? Orton ? Fitz ? come on, this is the most important position in team sports and we used ONE 1st or 2nd round pick on it over the past 11 drafts !!! that's insane.

This off-season, they've essentially said, we don't have a QB, we won't be able to get a QB, so we are going to build up everything besides QB (i.e. Hughes, McCoy, Harvin, Clay etc.) -- that to me is Plan B. Plan A would have been to sacrifice everything we could to get Bradford or even Foles.

Why Bradford or Foles? Huge question marks with both. Sacrifice everything? I suppose it could have worked, but if Foles sucks in STL and Bradford sucks in PHI/CLE, I expect you to own that.

I'd take Bradford in a nano-second, I would have traded this year's 1st (19th), next year's 1st and a young player to get him. He is legit. His only issue is staying healthy. I'm not as high on Foles, but both are better prospects than any QB we've had on our roster in the past decade.

I believe you can't win a SuperBowl without a decent (Top 16) QB. I think the Bills are a marginal playoff team (right now), but have no shot at a SuperBowl.

Cassell has played like a top 16 QB before. Maybe he can do it again. If not, Bradford in the top 16? I think he's # 2 in fewest games played since 2010. If we make the playoffs, we have a shot at the Superbowl. And trading a Dareus + picks for Bradford would've been ludicrous

The two obvious options close to Sammy were Evans and Bekham Jr. (but, if it was up to me, I would have grabbed Mosley and waited until 2nd or 3rd round for the WR)

Watkins was still clearly better. Evans had the huge body. He was the only one close. Why would you draft another high round LB? Would you have lamb basted the fact we drafted Mosley if Preston Brown was nasty on some other team? You are campaigning to ignore the QB position as well. A LB in the first over Bridgewater and Carr?

Big difference between using a 1st rd pick on OL, LB or WR and using 2 1st Rd picks, that's the issue. You limit your ability this year to use that asset to acquire a QB. As for Bills making QB a priority, including this year's draft, we would have selected ONE QB in the 1st or 2nd round in the past 11 drafts !!! ONE. That is ignoring the most important position. Don't give me signing 10 QB's; Kolb ? Orton ? Fitz ? come on, this is the most important position in team sports and we used ONE 1st or 2nd round pick on it over the past 11 drafts !!! that's insane.

And you wanted to continue the status quo by drafting Mosley. You're saying its 2 vs 1, but in reality, you didn't want a QB with the 2014 pick anyway. Don't you see your own contradiction?

I'd take Bradford in a nano-second, I would have traded this year's 1st (19th), next year's 1st and a young player to get him. He is legit. His only issue is staying healthy. I'm not as high on Foles, but both are better prospects than any QB we've had on our roster in the past decade.

Okay. Would the Rams have accepted that trade? Who knows.

If Cassell plays like a Top 16 QB, we will make playoffs and be competitive once we are in them. Bradford is much better QB than Cassell, it's not even close.

We shall see.

Edited by FireChan

That's like saying, "I'd buy that car in a heartbeat! Its only issue is that it doesn't run for 30% of every year."

Perhaps we did not have the ammunition to go after these QBs?

Also....it has been beaten into horse glue.....but we cannot afford to take on a ridiculous franchise QB salary (especially on a flawed qb) because we have invested so much into the OTHER positions.

Only one of two way for us to get a "franchise" QB

- Draft one

- Hope that one of our current young QB's turns the corner

I'm so sick of this being bantered in the media. Was he worth it? So far, no. Will he eventually be worth it? Maybe. He has shown flashes of elite talent, but also has been injury prone and has a tendency for alligator arms in traffic. I'd like to think he'll become a pro-bowl receiver, but anyone who says they know either way is just guessing. Let's see how the year plays out. Until then, I'm reserving judgment.

Sammy Watkins is alligator arms in traffic? That is a new one.

Generic thread conclusions that apply to all post draft threads;

1. Not a single Bills player ever lives up to his draft position, except for 7th rounders, we love those.

2. Not a single Bills player is worth a first round draft pick, ever.

3. Not a single Bills player was worth trading up for.

4. Trading down is very good unless you draft EJ Manual.

5. We should draft seven QBs every draft.

6. Never ever draft a CB anymore (blame Jauron for that one).

7. OMG we didn't draft a TE.

Watkins is a dynamic game breaking talent. But only when the QB sees that he is open and throws him the ball in stride where Watkins needs it.

As long as we do not have a QB who can do that, it was a mistake to make that deal.

If we end up with a good QB one way or the other for the majority of Watkins' career, the deal will be worth it.

We have to see how it plays out.

Edited by Stopthepain

Watkins is a dynamic game breaking talent. But only when the QB sees that he is open and throws him the ball in stride where Watkins needs it.

As long as we do not have a QB who can do that, it was a mistake to make that deal.

If we end up with a good QB one way or the other for the majority of Watkins' career, the deal will be worth it.

We have to see how it plays out.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Stop the pain, from laughing too hard at this nonsense.

We traded back in 2013. And there are worst things than "overreaching" for a perennial ProBowler.

He may be the next coming of Jerry Rice. But it's still unknown. I'm just saying as a basic strategy or I would never do it as far as Watkins is concerned. As for Manuel, that was a flat out reach and a mistake. I actually think that was a bigger error than the Watkins trade because at least I know Sammy has talent and will be a weapon.

Edited by Dante

Watkins was still clearly better. Evans had the huge body. He was the only one close. Why would you draft another high round LB? Would you have lamb basted the fact we drafted Mosley if Preston Brown was nasty on some other team? You are campaigning to ignore the QB position as well. A LB in the first over Bridgewater and Carr?

And you wanted to continue the status quo by drafting Mosley. You're saying its 2 vs 1, but in reality, you didn't want a QB with the 2014 pick anyway. Don't you see your own contradiction?

Okay. Would the Rams have accepted that trade? Who knows.

If Cassell plays like a Top 16 QB, we will make playoffs and be competitive once we are in them. Bradford is much better QB than Cassell, it's not even close.

We shall see.

I was okay not drafting a QB in 2014 because we had just drafted one in 2013, and I think we needed to see more of EJ before casting him aside (another reason I hated the signing of a proven mediocre QB in Orton).

I didn't want to trade the 2015 1st because it essentially limits our ability to go after a QB this year because we lack the ammunition to make a trade up.

Make no mistake, I'm a huge proponent of drafting a QB EVERY OTHER YEAR until we find one with our 1st or 2nd round pick --- not ONCE EVERY DECADE !!