ESPN Insider? Kiper/McShay 3rd Mock

Long term >>>>> 2015. If they really like one of the QBs, they should take him. It's really not even a debate. That being said, who knows if they really like one. I could see us drafting BPA if it's a DL, LB or OT/OG (possibly a Safety). We need a qb now more than ever. We have a team built to win SBs......if we have a pretty good qb. A qb that doesn't suck might get us to the playoffs. I believe one of our current QBs can help get us to the playoffs, but I doubt we win a SB. The bengals make the playoffs every year.

Until we have a true franchise QB, it's my opinion that we should keep rolling the dice. It doesn't have to be with our 1st pick or even 2nd or 3rd. If there's a qb on the board that they believe in and he's of decent value for the pick, don't hesitate. The non QBs also have a chance to bust and be completely irrelevant.

Exactly. Do you think any QB we can get in the 2nd (in fact any QB besides the first two choices) is someone ANYONE likes for 2015?

NO!

IF the Bills were to choose Grayson, Hundley or whomever in the 2nd or 3rd, they would be choosing to pass on an OL player who MIGHT start this year or a back-up TE who would allow them to use multi-TE sets in exchange for a QB who actually probably would not even be so-called insurance in 2016 and maybe 2017.

If one wants a QB who is gonna (Or even possibly) beat out Cassel, Manuel and Tyler its gonna be an FA and not a second or third day pick.

If you disagree, name the name and make the case.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. Do you think any QB we can get in the 2nd (in fact any QB besides the first two choices) is someone ANYONE likes for 2015?

NO!

IF the Bills were to choose Grayson, Hundley or whomever in the 2nd or 3rd, they would be choosing to pass on an OL player who MIGHT start this year or a back-up TE who would allow them to use multi-TE sets in exchange for a QB who actually probably would not even be so-called insurance in 2016 and maybe 2017.

If one wants a QB who is gonna (Or even possibly) beat out Cassel, Manuel and Tyler its gonna be an FA and not a second or third day pick.

If you disagree, name the name and make the case.

so what happens if we draft a qb sit him and let him develop and in a year or two he is tearing up the league? Then we have to read 95 threads how we passed on a franchise qb blah blah blah. If they think the qb has a chance to be good, take him. There is no guarantee the player we get in the second will start anyway.

Not a chance we pick a QB. We would have to play him immediately to find out if he is any good and none of these guys have any chance of being any good right away. And if we do that we would be wasting Percy Harvin and 6 m right off the bat. Never know if EJ is any good who would be drafted higher than anyone of these guys at 50 if he were in this draft. Wasted Roman's first year of installing the offense he wants to run. Wasting another year of Watkins.

If we don't play him we don't know for three years if he is any good. By then we could have obtained a guy with a better chance. And we would not have a player who can actually help this year.

This team is built to win right now. This year. There is almost zero chance we cut the insurance veteran we traded for. There is almost zero chance we give up on EJ on the chance that a guy with less of a chance is our guy in three years when McCoy is old, Harvin is gone, we spent so much money on Clay in the first two years of his contract, etc.

No chance we draft a QB. And when I say no chance I mean never say never. Ha. Okay 1%.

There is a 99% chance that any qb draft past the 1st round won't ever develop into a franchise qb. They are so rare to begin with and this isn't a great class. It would be a wasted pick this year.

That's just not true. As recently as the 2013 season, 5 out of the top 10 QBs in TD passes were drafted 2nd round or later and that didn't even include Tom Brady.

You know that I'm also a big supporter of Manuel, but if he fails and the Bills had their chance at a guy like Garrett Grayson and he turns out to be a player you can win with...yikes will that hurt. Then you look at the 2nd round player you decided to pass on the insurance QB like Grayson. What's his name going to be? What is his role on a team like the Bills with almost no holes? A backup CB, LB, OL?

I'm actually fine with the Bills drafting Grayson and letting Cassel go. Not one person here was talking about trying to get Matt Cassel until they made a deal. Now all of a sudden he's indispensable? I don't believe that. I'm good with Grayson being the QB pushing Manuel this season. Let Manuel know that there's a real threat for his job. That will get the best play (whatever that is) from EJ Manuel.

That's just not true. As recently as the 2013 season, 5 out of the top 10 QBs in TD passes were drafted 2nd round or later and that didn't even include Tom Brady.

You know that I'm also a big supporter of Manuel, but if he fails and the Bills had their chance at a guy like Garrett Grayson and he turns out to be a player you can win with...yikes will that hurt. Then you look at the 2nd round player you decided to pass on the insurance QB like Grayson. What's his name going to be? What is his role on a team like the Bills with almost no holes? A backup CB, LB, OL?

I'm actually fine with the Bills drafting Grayson and letting Cassel go. Not one person here was talking about trying to get Matt Cassel until they made a deal. Now all of a sudden he's indispensable? I don't believe that. I'm good with Grayson being the QB pushing Manuel this season. Let Manuel know that there's a real threat for his job. That will get the best play (whatever that is) from EJ Manuel.

You can't do that because you don't have any idea whether EJ is the guy from a few good games in 2013 or the guy from the last two games of 2014. The chance of EJ being a solid enough QB for this team to make the playoffs this year is a complete unknown. That is why you make the trade for Cassel and that is why there is precious little chance Cassel gets cut.

Not to mention that it is impossible to know whether EJ is going to be a solid enough QB to get this team in the playoffs until he actually plays in the regular season. It's possible to learn, if he is terrible in practice and preseason that he is not the guy. But it's impossible to learn if he is the guy, because his troubles are decision making and accuracy in the line of fire when real bullets are flying. Preseason bullets are rubber bullets. So you need Cassel there because you know he can be adequate.

The only way Cassel is not on this team is if the draft a QB in the second or third round, AND EJ plays lights out all through training camp and preseason AND Tyrod Taylor plays lights out all through training camp and preseason, AND Cassel doesn't look like much. And the likelihood of all those things happening are not good. The likelihood of any one of those four things happening is not good.

Picking a QB, who will most likely sit for a year or 2 and not providing depth at those positions could be a huge mistake. Injuries will happen, the Bills were extremely lucky last year in that aspect.

You mean like trading a 1st round pick to move up to take a WR in a WR rich draft?

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

This all assumes that Garrett Grayson is a sure thing...

It slices both ways, what if the Bills take Grayson, who then turns out to be a flop, and they miss out on a qualify DL that could replace Kyle or Mario Williams in the future? You're fine with the Bills drafting Grayson because you think everything will turn out fine. What if Grayson sucks and EJ sucks, what then? It's a wasted pick that could have been Player X.

Also, the Bills have holes, you are assuming the Bills make it through the season injury free. Like I said in my previous post the Bills have 3 OT on the team. They also don't have a backup center. Those are holes, fairly large ones if an injury occurs.

I think taking a QB in the 2nd or 3rd would be an "insurance" move at by far the most important position in the NFL. I'm a vocal supporter of Manuel's chances in that I still think he can get over the hump this year, but what if he doesn't? I can't fault the Bills for having a second year insurance QB in their back pocket if Manuel fails this season and is off the team in 2016. If Manuel can't make it happen with everything around him this year (defense, running game, star WRs, athletic play-making TE) then the Bills would be drafting a rookie QB next season on a win now team. Either that or they had better hope they could make a trade for a real QB like Brees. The options are so limited when you're looking for a QB and they may feel drafting a backup LB, CB or OL isn't as important as drafting a QB.

Then the QB competition gets real interesting because one of Cassel, Manuel or Taylor will get cut. If they do draft a QB, I think Cassel would be the odd man out because Manuel's 25 years old and has already had that "extended time on the bench to learn from the vet QB" experience.

except as of now kuandjo sucks and manual is serviceable and cassel already is insurance, if one or maybe both tackles get hurt then we also would go winless for the rest of the year, we need another tackle badly, did you notice we lost hairston recently?

Edited by enlightener

It slices both ways, what if the Bills take Grayson, who then turns out to be a flop, and they miss out on a qualify DL that could replace Kyle or Mario Williams in the future? You're fine with the Bills drafting Grayson because you think everything will turn out fine. What if Grayson sucks and EJ sucks, what then? It's a wasted pick that could have been Player X.

Also, the Bills have holes, you are assuming the Bills make it through the season injury free. Like I said in my previous post the Bills have 3 OT on the team. They also don't have a backup center. Those are holes, fairly large ones if an injury occurs.

We do not have the offensive linemen to make Romans's scheme work....we HAVE to start there

Graham will be a safety? He had a great season at cb. Predicting he won't be a cb in 2016 is a reach imo. Mckelvin is a bit pricey but let the season play out. He could be a beast and worth his contract. If he isn't, ask him to take a pay cut or cut him. I think Theresa a good chance gilmore, Graham, Leo and Robey continue as our our CBs or a few years. I wouldn't be happy drafting a CB with our first pick that would likely sit on the bench all year. if that said CB could also play QB, then sure, take him. It's the only position holding this team back at the moment.

Not a stretch at all, he played some safety last year, and he is a 9th year CB, so it's COMMON for CBs to transition to Safety at that age. With the two CB positions likely already filled, and one of the safety spots experiencing weakness unless Donnie Henderson really coaches up Duke, Meeks, or Rambo, it would actually FORCE Graham to Safety. And look at the Bills' upcoming free agents, and the money we need to free up to keep (Cordy, Darius, Gilmore and Bradham), and players like McKelvin will find himself priced way off the Bills' roster, as Whaley said the middle class will suffer, at the pre draft PC. So, that thins out CB. I would rather bring in a guy from a strong CB class and give him a year under Henderson before he's needed next year. We can get fair production from a June 1st cut OLor 3rd rounder, but a guy who can be a top 2 perimeter CB, which we will need in 2016 to keep our pass rush effective and make the big money we just spent on Kyle and Hughes, and are about to spend on Darius, worth it.

Not a stretch at all, he played some safety last year, and he is a 9th year CB, so it's COMMON for CBs to transition to Safety at that age. With the two CB positions likely already filled, and one of the safety spots experiencing weakness unless Donnie Henderson really coaches up Duke, Meeks, or Rambo, it would actually FORCE Graham to Safety. And look at the Bills' upcoming free agents, and the money we need to free up to keep (Cordy, Darius, Gilmore and Bradham), and players like McKelvin will find himself priced way off the Bills' roster, as Whaley said the middle class will suffer, at the pre draft PC. So, that thins out CB. I would rather bring in a guy from a strong CB class and give him a year under Henderson before he's needed next year. We can get fair production from a June 1st cut OLor 3rd rounder, but a guy who can be a top 2 perimeter CB, which we will need in 2016 to keep our pass rush effective and make the big money we just spent on Kyle and Hughes, and are about to spend on Darius, worth it.

I think this team is going to start leaning heavily on Duke Williams the way they did on Searcy imo

I'm fine with them not drafting Grayson. I was just saying that I would understand the Bills doing that.

There are no sure things when it comes to the QB position unless you get to take an Andrew Luck. Once you get in the second round, a team going QB is more of them taking a "flyer" or a "risk" that this QB has the potential for NFL stardom but he's kind of a long shot. The QB position is unlike any other one. If you don't have a franchise QB, you can't be faulted for following the lottery philosophy of "you have to be in it to win it" and grabbing one with an early pick.

I'm not going to get upset either way they go. I still believe that Manuel has a shot at becoming our franchise QB. But i'm not going to fault the Bills thinking a year ahead and wanting a QB who's already been in their system for a year in the case that Manuel isn't the answer.

I'm starting to think that qb is a reality at 50 or 81. Depends on who they fancy and if they are there.

The Bills draft visits are pretty much all of the QBS minus Winston and MM.

I think it a very safe bet they're drafting a QB.

I would hope Bills are going to put themselves in a better position to move up next year. For the QB, if Manual doesnt shine. this year Whaley should find two starters and some projects. If a qb is one of them in the fifth sixth ? so be it. Bills are not in position to draft a qb in their first two picks this year

lmo

We have Harvin who can stand in if Woods goes down, or, in a pinch, Hogan.

I'm starting to feel like we should go CB with our 2nd rounder. McKelvin is a likely cap cut next offseason, Graham will be another year older and be a safety at that point, Gilmore would be PAID, which players have a possibility to regress afterwards, and beyond those two, we have underwhelming depth. I'm a fan of Robey, but not on the perimeter. Rex loves CBs, and I think our MAJOR needs, OL, can be addressed in the 3rd as it's a deep year, or by a June 1st veteran cut.

I believe this reference was for C/G- Eric Wood, NOT WR Robert Woods.