We Need to Give Buddy Some Credit

13player

Except when he signed Mario Williams

Buddy was a good Gm. He inherited an awful situation full of mistrust and subpar players. He left the Bills with a far better team then when he started.

+1.

Nix laid the foundation by starting to build the defense and stabilizing the OL w Cordy Glenn in round 2.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any disrespect around here for Buddy Nix is pathetic and an embarrassment for Bills fans. The guy took over a franchise that had been crashed on the rocks and sunk for over a decade thanks to its bumbling owner, and single handedly got the ship back in the water and in the shipping lanes. The Bills may not have been the Queen Mary when he left, but they certainly werent the Titanic anymore either.

He pulled the Bills out of being a Free Agency laughing stock and to a point where we could actually sign players. It started with Merriman, and he used that momentum to eventually land Mario Williams, one of the top two Free Agents in 2012.

It's slow going, if not damn near impossible, to change a culture that has been instituted by an owner happy with mediocrity for 50 years. Buddy was the first baby step in making that change to where we are now. The Pegulas and Doug Whaley are simply building on his foundation. BTW, it's thanks to Buddy that Whaley is here in the first place.

You naysayers can cite the team's record over those few years, but Buddy doesnt play the games (or even coach them). I think he did the best with what he had to work with and the opportunities that were there. Sure, he wasnt 100% perfect, but no GM is.

I ran into him this past fall down south, and he had a Bills jacket on. He still loves this team and is pulling for it everyday. Show the man some respect for what he tried to do for us fans.

Sorry, Doctor Dareustein, but I think the embarrassment ought to be yours. But people who love football and love the Bills should be allowed to have different opinions and be respected for them, not called out as "an embarrassment to Bills fans" for "any disrespect" (I assume that means "any criticism of Nix").

GMs are rightfully judged on their ability to build a championship team, or at least a competitive winning team. The most important piece of that is QB. Nix did labor under handicaps such as a change-averse, mistrustful owner and a scouting organization built by Modrak (who was allowed to live in Florida (!!!!) fer gosh sakes). Those are handicaps.

But overall, was he good? He neglected the most important piece on the team, QB. He allowed Chan to bring in crap as DC and to function as both HC and OC when it was clear after the 1st season that was too much for him. FA still don't want to come here - that's why we traded for Meh Cassel and had to back up a damn big Brinks truck for Clay - because we haven't been to the playoffs in 15 years and have yet to demonstrate a consistent winning culture.

Nix was better than what preceded him, no question. But I don't think "better than a dumpster fire" should render someone above criticism.

IMO Nix was a good talent evaluator who was over his head as a GM. He improved the Bills roster, but I think it's arguable that a stronger GM could have actually built a winner in the same time. It has been done for other teams to turn around from zeros to heros much faster, now here we are 5 years after Nix was hired and we barely scraped into a winning record with a top 5 D.

Buddy Nix was a terrible GM. The teams record was awful under his regime. His coaching picks were awful too. The 2010 draft was one of the worst in NFL history. Invested 60 million dollars into a career backup QB. He was a big mouth who telegraphed every move. He drafted EJ. He was a joke and anyone who says any different is not paying attention.

The 2010 draft, as well documented here, sucked. It yielded a gunner on special teams.

How hard was it to sign Mario? He was coming off IR for the second year in a row and the Texans let him walk and Buddy offered him the richest defensive contract in history as he walks in the door.

The Merriman signing was a completely predictable failure. He was never properly worked out and fell apart immediately. Signing him the second time furthered the Bills laughing stock rep.

Darues was a chip shot pick. Little risk, obvious need. No one could screw up that pick.

In 2011 and 2012, Buddy picked Gilmore, a legit starter, Bradham and various depth guys; Brooks, Searcy, Sheppard. Aaron Williams may be a decent safety.

I have stated a while back my impression that Whaley (and Marrone) took over the draft in 2013. Having said that, to me it is clear that Buddy completely failed in addressing the weakness of this team---the offense. In his first 3 drafts, he never addressed QB when FItz was the best guy on the roster. He never addressed WR until his epic blunder of picking TJ Graham--who was an awful pick as a WR even if there was no Russell Wilson available.

The team Buddy "inherited" had Fitz, Freddy, Wood, Stevie, Kyle Williams, Chandler, Lee Evans, Moorman, McIntyre, Parrish, Whitner, George Wilson, Lindell, Poz, Leodis, Byrd, McGee, Levitre. Hardly horrible, and he kept many of those guys for a while at least. Several are still on the roster.....

Buddy was a nice old guy at the tail end of his career who bumbled his way to retirement.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Sorry, Doctor Dareustein, but I think the embarrassment ought to be yours. But people who love football and love the Bills should be allowed to have different opinions and be respected for them, not called out as "an embarrassment to Bills fans" for "any disrespect" (I assume that means "any criticism of Nix").

GMs are rightfully judged on their ability to build a championship team, or at least a competitive winning team. The most important piece of that is QB. Nix did labor under handicaps such as a change-averse, mistrustful owner and a scouting organization built by Modrak (who was allowed to live in Florida (!!!!) fer gosh sakes). Those are handicaps.

But overall, was he good? He neglected the most important piece on the team, QB. He allowed Chan to bring in crap as DC and to function as both HC and OC when it was clear after the 1st season that was too much for him. FA still don't want to come here - that's why we traded for Meh Cassel and had to back up a damn big Brinks truck for Clay - because we haven't been to the playoffs in 15 years and have yet to demonstrate a consistent winning culture.

Nix was better than what preceded him, no question. But I don't think "better than a dumpster fire" should render someone above criticism.

IMO Nix was a good talent evaluator who was over his head as a GM. He improved the Bills roster, but I think it's arguable that a stronger GM could have actually built a winner in the same time. It has been done for other teams to turn around from zeros to heros much faster, now here we are 5 years after Nix was hired and we barely scraped into a winning record with a top 5 D.

That's what I'm saying.

When he was hired I was just like OK he has been a scout for a long time and was assistant GM in San Diego where they had some phenomenal drafts. I liked his resume but wanted someone that would be here for the long haul, then we hired Whaley as his successor.

Nix's first draft back wasn't the best. Troup over gronk. Smh. His second was better as Dareus, Williams and Searcy have turned into at least solid pros. 3rd was just as good with Gilmore, Glenn, Bradham, and Ron brooks(big stretch. decent role player) becoming solid at least. If Wilson was the pick instead of graham it may have been one of the all time great drafts in the nfl. The 4th is a toss up between Whaley and nix so we don't really know who'd draft it is but it was Damn good.

Nix took a team with little talent and built the foundation for one of the best rosters in the NFL. He took a ton of cap but he did a pretty good job. Gronk and Wilson are my biggest problems with him but we are in a better place than we were before him.

Buddy Nix was a terrible GM. The teams record was awful under his regime. His coaching picks were awful too. The 2010 draft was one of the worst in NFL history. Invested 60 million dollars into a career backup QB. He was a big mouth who telegraphed every move. He drafted EJ. He was a joke and anyone who says any different is not paying attention.

That "born moderate" thing in me coming out again - I disagree with Dareustein that anyone who criticizes Nix in any way is an "embarrassment" as a fan.

But I also disagree that he was a joke. He had some good drafts and FA acquisitions, and he made some mistakes, like any GM. I personally had and have a feeling that a really good GM could have done more, but that doesn't make Nix a joke, and yes, I am paying attention.

The 2010 draft, as well documented here, sucked. It yielded a gunner on special teams.

How hard was it to sign Mario? He was coming off IR for the second year in a row and the Texans let him walk and Buddy offered him the richest defensive contract in history as he walks in the door.

The Merriman signing was a completely predictable failure. He was never properly worked out and fell apart immediately. Signing him the second time furthered the Bills laughing stock rep.

Darues was a chip shot pick. Little risk, obvious need. No one could screw up that pick.

In 2011 and 2012, Buddy picked Gilmore, a legit starter, Bradham and various depth guys; Brooks, Searcy, Sheppard. Aaron Williams may be a decent safety.

I have stated a while back my impression that Whaley (and Marrone) took over the draft in 2013. Having said that, to me it is clear that Buddy completely failed in addressing the weakness of this team---the offense. In his first 3 drafts, he never addressed QB when FItz was the best guy on the roster. He never addressed WR until his epic blunder of picking TJ Graham--who was an awful pick as a WR even if there was no Russell Wilson available.

The team Buddy "inherited" had Fitz, Freddy, Wood, Stevie, Kyle Williams, Chandler, Lee Evans, Moorman, McIntyre, Parrish, Whitner, George Wilson, Lindell, Poz, Leodis, Byrd, McGee, Levitre. Hardly horrible, and he kept many of those guys for a while at least. Several are still on the roster.....

Buddy was a nice old guy at the tail end of his career who bumbled his way to retirement.

Hmmm. I agree with much of what you say - it is true that Buddy did not effectively address QB, TE, or WR ( the Graham pick still irritates me) and don't forget Torrell Troup over Gronkowski. He did draft Cordy Glenn, who is a good player "hell, no, he's not a guard!". A good GM grades players around the information provided by the coach of what he's looking for, and I do think Gailey strongly influenced some of Nix's picks - Chan was completely obsessed with speed on offense and I think, felt he could "coach up" any random goon into an NFL wideout and didn't have too much use for TE.

The 2010 draft was Spiller, who had 2 good years for the Bills under Gailey, arguably used very poorly under Marrone, and scooped up by the Saints; Carrington, who is still in the league playing for the Rams; Moats, who just signed a 3 year extension with the Stillers, and that special teams gunner. While it doesn't rank as an all-time success, when you have 4 out of the first 6 picks still in the league 5 years out I don't think you can argue that it totally sucked, either. Torrell Troup instead of Gronkowski, what can I say. Troup was a typical Modrak-era Bills draft pick, "you guys all have a late round grade on this guy but we're smarter than y'all, watch and wait". Yeah, we're waiting.

While it's easy to say "no one could screw up" the Dareus pick, just 2 years earlier Pick #11 was squandered on Aaron Maybin, so there's that.

Edited by Hopeful

Let's not stop at Nix. It's time to give credit to Pat McGroder and Terry Bledsoe for their short GM spans which set up Bill Polian for success. If it wasn't for those two guys, Polian wouldn't have improved the Bills as much as he did.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Let's not stop at Nix. It's time to give credit to Pat McGroder and Terry Bledsoe for their short GM spans which set up Bill Polian for success. If it wasn't for those two guys, Polian wouldn't have improved the Bills as much as he did.

:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

This is so much more complicated then most of you are presenting it......

The problems with this team did NOT just reside with Buddy Nix.....and I know that this is going to sound like a slam at Ralph Wilson (god bless him) but it is not

NOTHING WAS GOING TO CHANGE....until ownership changed for this team.....it needed to start fresh from the top and work its way down

Buddy Nix was a part of that old group.....there were mistakes by him and there was success......but all anyone will be able to see is the win loss record....and that is their RIGHT as bills fans. Some of us like to look a little deeper into the situation.

Look at what is happening with the bills right now.....it has more to do with just with having the most signing bonus money put out by any NFL team it is

- Increased scouting

- More money spent on coaches

THOSE THINGS CANNOT BE DISCOUNTED.....they really cannot....Buddy Nix worked with what he had to work with.

Buddy was not perfect but he laid the foundation. His inherited a mess, one of the worst rosters in the N F L . He came in stabilized things , started drafting well, not perfect. Troupe was injured so no telling what he could have been. Buddy also nailed a bunch of picks that we take for granted but many teams blow high picks. The Bills did for many years before Buddy. Mike Willimas , Whitner, Maybin ect.

As for the 2010 draft. Take a close look that is one horrible draft class across the board.

As for picking Gailey, I am not sure what his options were at the time. The team was in shambles.

Arron Williams , Gilmore, searcy, Bradham, Darius, Glenn, that is a solid core.

Edited by Tintonfallsbillsfan

Buddy was not perfect but he laid the foundation. His inherited a mess, one of the worst rosters in the N F L . He came in stabilized things , started drafting well, not perfect. Troupe was injured so no telling what he could have been. Buddy also nailed a bunch of picks that we take for granted but many teams blow high picks. The Bills did for many years before Buddy. Mike Willimas , Whitner, Maybin ect.

As for the 2010 draft. Take a close look that is one horrible draft class across the board.

As for picking Gailey, I am not sure what his options were at the time. The team was in shambles.

Arron Williams , Gilmore, searcy, Bradham, Darius, Glenn, that is a solid core.

You can repeat this a hundred more times. It still won't be true.

- Increased scouting

That's been a real key...

http://nypost.com/2015/04/25/an-exhaustive-ranking-of-every-nfl-teams-draft-haul-since-2010/

9. Bills

GMs: Russ Brandon (2010), Buddy Nix (2011-12), Doug Whaley (2013-14)

Average position of 1st pick: 8.4

Total Picks: 42

Pro Bowlers: 2

Best Pick: DT Marcell Dareus — 2011 1st round

Worst Pick: DT Torell Troup — 2010 2nd round

Coach Rex Ryan is going to benefit from how well the Bills have drafted in recent years. The one area they have missed on is at quarterback, where EJ Manuel, their 2013 1st-round pick, does not look like the answer.

those are the facts

what is not factually true ?

All you ahd to do was scroll up a few posts:

Buddy without a doubt laid the foundation. I think he did a great job. Was he perfect? By no means. I liked his candor and the way he went about his business.

To those who say he ignored the QB, in my opinion you do not build a championship team by drafting a stud qb and then getting the rest of the pieces after the fact. You build from the inside out. Then you get your QB. Ryan Fitzpatrick's one great season probably had a lot to do with us not getting a QB prior to Manuel.