Batman V. Superman Thread

Mark Vader

Snyder is so hit or miss for me personally. All of his stuff looks amazing, and sometimes it comes together great and the whole movie is pretty amazing. Other times, it's just pretty noise. I'm curious to see what Warners does with their DC Universe now that there's a move to copy Marvel's lead, and the trailer certainly makes it look cool so I'm in from the start. Still, it's weird to see Affleck as Batman. I know that's not fair to the guy but it's the truth. There was a nice Riddler plant at the 1:20 mark of the trailer, that makes me a bit nervous about there being too many bad-guys in one movie kinda thing, but it could just be foreshadowing Justice League or the next Batman. I also dug the voice over opening from Neil Degrasse Tyson because I'm a nerd.

I am interested to see where they go with this. I enjoyed "Man of Steel", but why oh why did they choose Affleck to be Batman?

What about his Batman voice? What was up with that? And they said that Christian Bale's voice was over the top.

The glowing eyes were lame, as was that ridiculously bulky robotic suit he was wearing.

I saw the Riddler tease, which is probably all it is. And I did like the voice over we here from Jesse Eisenberg, who plays Lex Luthor, in the early montage.

I really want to get excited for this movie, but right now I am just interested.

This movie is not a summer release. That makes me nervous.

I'm not convinced that's Batman talking at the end. It doesn't feel like the kind of thing he would say. But anyway, you commented on the suit, Mark. That's taken directly from the Dark Knight Returns comic book/graphic novel/whatever they call them now. That paired with kryptonite is the only way he can put up a good fight. I wonder how they'll go about introducing kryptonite since they absolutely have to have that in this movie for anyone to put up any kind of fight.

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet.

Thoughts?

I watched it a couple of times and came away with a 'meh'. I have no idea what that trailer communicated about the tone of the movie or the villains. Way too much voice-over build-up in the first 1 minute. Instead of concentrating on Superman's status in shadow, they should have shown some more action, hint at the plot, something. All we saw were some borderline still shots of Affleck and Cavill with some hero vs hero action. Just didn't get me excited.

I watched it a couple of times and came away with a 'meh'. I have no idea what that trailer communicated about the tone of the movie or the villains. Way too much voice-over build-up in the first 1 minute. Instead of concentrating on Superman's status in shadow, they should have shown some more action, hint at the plot, something. All we saw were some borderline still shots of Affleck and Cavill with some hero vs hero action. Just didn't get me excited.

That's typically what they do with these first teaser trailers. They'll reveal a lot more whenever the next one roles out. I didn't notice it at first until Mark mentioned it above, but Jessie Eisenberg (Lex Luthor) is in fact one of the voice overs. They're keeping that role in their back pocket for now, but I bet he'll show up heavily when the first full trailer comes out.

• 10 months later...

It's supposedly awful.

How could it be any other way? What is with the dumb "verses" movies anyway? What's next, Spiderman vs Catwoman? Terminator vs Godzilla? JHC this crap just gets worse and worse.

I'm happy to say the last movie I saw with "vs" in the title was Kramer vs Kramer.

It's supposedly awful.

I can't see it being all that good.

I mean...it's derivative in part from Man of Steel, which wasn't really a "Superman" movie to me. I mean, I thought it was decent...but it was too much focused on the "space alien" nature of Superman, and lacking in the elements of social integration into Americana that makes Superman who he is. And then Batman...rich guy wearing an armored suit? They cast Ben Affleck? What's his previous superhero role again? Daredevil? Did they see that movie?

So it's going to be not so much Batman vs. Superman, as much as "Jason Bourne's BFF Cosplaying Edge of Tomorrow vs. Space Alien Guy who Accidentally Destroyed Manhattan." Whoopie-!@#$ing-do.

How could it be any other way? What is with the dumb "verses" movies anyway? What's next, Spiderman vs Catwoman? Terminator vs Godzilla? JHC this crap just gets worse and worse.

I'm happy to say the last movie I saw with "vs" in the title was Kramer vs Kramer.

Thankfully, Battleship seems to have killed the "board game movie" genre. So we'll be spared Chutes vs. Ladders.

They will do these superhero crossovers forever but Hollywood won't dare entertain a Die Hard/Lethal Weapon crossover.

This Batman/Superman movie has the same critical flaw that the Marvel series has developed Too many characters. We've got three superheros, possibly five appearing in this one move alone and at least two villains.