Batman V. Superman Thread

Mark Vader

How could it be any other way? What is with the dumb "verses" movies anyway? What's next, Spiderman vs Catwoman? Terminator vs Godzilla? JHC this crap just gets worse and worse.

I'm happy to say the last movie I saw with "vs" in the title was Kramer vs Kramer.

I'm with you. Don't get me wrong, I love popcorn movies and studio fare in general but woof! The snake is eating its tail. The studios have gutted the "middle class" movie (relating to budget not demographics), resulting in less movies being made for more money. Gone are the days of the $40 or even $50 million dollar studio movies (movies that fit that category include some of the best in the history of cinema), unless you're spending over $100 million on the budget, your movie isn't getting made inside the studio system. And no one is giving you $100 million dollar budget for an original movie unless it's got a mega name behind the camera -- even then it's an uphill slog.

It's very, very, depressing. Especially from the inside looking out.

I can't see it being all that good.

I mean...it's derivative in part from Man of Steel, which wasn't really a "Superman" movie to me. I mean, I thought it was decent...but it was too much focused on the "space alien" nature of Superman, and lacking in the elements of social integration into Americana that makes Superman who he is. And then Batman...rich guy wearing an armored suit? They cast Ben Affleck? What's his previous superhero role again? Daredevil? Did they see that movie?

So it's going to be not so much Batman vs. Superman, as much as "Jason Bourne's BFF Cosplaying Edge of Tomorrow vs. Space Alien Guy who Accidentally Destroyed Manhattan." Whoopie-!@#$ing-do.

Thankfully, Battleship seems to have killed the "board game movie" genre. So we'll be spared Chutes vs. Ladders.

Truth. Though we may be spared the board game movie genre, this gem is coming out which might spark the "ap game genre". Kill me.

They will do these superhero crossovers forever but Hollywood won't dare entertain a Die Hard/Lethal Weapon crossover.

This Batman/Superman movie has the same critical flaw that the Marvel series has developed Too many characters. We've got three superheros, possibly five appearing in this one move alone and at least two villains.

Lethal Weapon and Die Hard are property of Warner's and Fox respectively. That's why they can't do a cross over of those characters.

But you're right about the too many characters thing. The one buzz I'm hearing about BvS (besides it's pretty awful) is that the best part of the film is Wonder Woman -- who's onscreen for just a handful of minutes. Considering the movie is clocking in at over 2.5 hours, that's not a great sign.

Truth. Though we may be spared the board game movie genre, this gem is coming out which might spark the "ap game genre". Kill me.

I can't wait till they go retro and make Tetris: The Movie. I'm sure Michael Bay is already under contract. :wallbash:

How could it be any other way? What is with the dumb "verses" movies anyway? What's next, Spiderman vs Catwoman? Terminator vs Godzilla? JHC this crap just gets worse and worse.

I'm happy to say the last movie I saw with "vs" in the title was Kramer vs Kramer.

As long as it is better than Freddy vs. Jason. I agree that the choice of Affleck as Batman is horrible. I don't think the battle between the these two is going to be purely physical as the trailer I saw had Bruce Wayne calling out Clark Kent to back off so might be a battle of who is the better hero. It will likely lead to a physical fight but in the end both guys will realize that Lex is ultately the true villian and they join forces etc. Edited by The Jokeman

The movie is a League of Justice set up. The "fight" between Batman and Superman will be resolved in short order.

I just think the movie will stink because, primarily, they chose Ben "B word breasts" Affleck in one of the title roles.

In all seriousness

Batman would not last 10 seconds with superman unless he had some krytponight.......which is my whole problem with the movie before it even begins.

The only comics I ever collected over the years were the Superman series (Action, Man of Steel, etc) and the Batman series (Detective, Batman, Dark Knight, etc). According to the Batman/Superman canon (at least in one or two story lines) Superman entrusted Batman with a kryptonite bullet in case anything ever happened to make Superman lethally dangerous to humanity.

Then again, expecting movies like this to stick to the original spirit of the characters, even ones as iconic as Batman and Superman, is probably ridiculous.

One of the stories involving the kryptonite bullet occurred in this story arc featuring probably the only DC superhero that could actually defeat Superman. The Spectre:

post-88-0-75663100-1457115476_thumb.jpg

It's supposedly awful.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was true.

Warner Bros. keeps showing more new footage with every TV preview they put up. That's a bad sign right there.

Forget about Ben Affleck, which is tough to do, but when Warner Bros. made this a Spring release instead of a Summer release, that was the big red flag.

These are the two most iconic comic book characters ever. They are about to appear on the silver screen for the first time, and you're afraid of all the competition in Summer?

I wouldn't be surprised if this was true.

Warner Bros. keeps showing more new footage with every TV preview they put up. That's a bad sign right there.

Forget about Ben Affleck, which is tough to do, but when Warner Bros. made this a Spring release instead of a Summer release, that was the big red flag.

These are the two most iconic comic book characters ever. They are about to appear on the silver screen for the first time, and you're afraid of all the competition in Summer?

This movie's going to kill some careers, isn't it?

This movie's going to kill some careers, isn't it?

The shelf life of your typical Hollywood studio exec is probably about 3-4 years. It seems like every 3-4 years there's a complete overhaul in execs on the development side of things. People don't leave the business, they just change employers or sometimes job titles (studio heads leave and become producers, development presidents leave to be network heads -- or did), it's really kind of amazing to witness. Figure a movie takes about 2 years to get made from development through production and marketing (and that's being generous), most regimes only get a handful of movies made and released before they're shown the door... Even if the movies work!

But yes, this movie just may end some careers. I still can't believe Ben was driving around Warner's and surprising tourists with the batmobile.