Bills "right on the verge", rated 5th best roster in AFC

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a hunch we trade away future draft picks for a qb: someone like rivers or Bree's. Watch and see.

That's what the roster is set up to do... though, now with the cap being what it is, it might be tough to squeeze a big contract in. I don't think they make a big move like that until next season, but hope to be wrong.

We are better than Pitt and Denver talent-wise. Probably best roster in the NFL if you don't factor in the QB position imo.

QB probably accounts for 50% of a roster's grade at this point in the NFL.

Have a hunch we trade away future draft picks for a qb: someone like rivers or Bree's. Watch and see.

Where would the cap space be for such a move?

QB probably accounts for 50% of a roster's grade at this point in the NFL.

Where would the cap space be for such a move?

Would you at the cost of losing Dareus? Or Gilmore + Glenn? We could extend a Rivers contract to be somewhat cap friendly (if there is such a thing with QBs) while still paying him a large amount. I think Rivers would put this team over the top. If he hits free agency next year, Whaley has to give it some hard thought.

Edited by What a Tuel

This team is built to win this year. Your new owner, coach, and gm have already shown you their blueprint with the big moves. They are about to pull off one more

I think there is no chance the Bills are going to trade for a big name QB. First, their salaries are waaaay too high to fit in unless they will trade away a couple big name defensive players and Rex obviously isn't going to do that especially after getting rid of a young star in Kiko. Also, Rivers has only two places he wants to play (San Diego, Nashville), Buffalo isn't one of them. He's even contemplating retirement if he can't get his wish. As for Brees, his cap hit is 18 million and he's 35 years old. Say goodbye to big names on defense who would be involved in that trade. Would Brees even want to come to the Bills if the gutted their defense? That kind of defeats the purpose because the team would no longer really be built to win this year.

I know that many Bills fans have talked themselves out of EJ Manuel. But I think these fans have bought into the constant drum beat of misinformation that he was this horrible QB in the vein of a Blaine Gabbert. This perception simply is not reality. Reality is that EJ played exactly the way he was expected to play when he was drafted with good bad and ugly games that come from a "project" QB. EJ's rookie QB rating was almost 10 points higher than Blake Bortles. Where are all the stories that Jacksonville blew it by talking him at #3?...LOL EJ's QB rating was 3 points higher in 2014 than his 2013 rating. His first two games in 2014 were good and his last two were bad. That's what happens with young QBs who are raw coming out of college. I honestly think that these fans want to see EJ throw 3 TDs and 300 yards every few games. Because that's what the elite top 5 QBs do consistently. That's not EJ Manuel. These fans will never be happy with him if that's what they're looking for. There's a real chance that EJ can reach a "Joe Flacco" level play with some Kaerpernick/Newton run option mixed in. Just making the big plays when they are there and not worrying about eye popping passing numbers. That's EJ's game. The Bills are going to use a lot of misdirection with McCoy and Manuel moving in opposite directions and letting the defense pick which way the play's going. That's going to be the design of this offense IMO.

Edited by 1billsfan

I think there is no chance the Bills are going to trade for a big name QB. First, their salaries are waaaay too high to fit in unless they will trade away a couple big name defensive players and Rex obviously isn't going to do that especially after getting rid of a young star in Kiko. Also, Rivers has only two places he wants to play (San Diego, Nashville), Buffalo isn't one of them. He's even contemplating retirement if he can't get his wish. As for Brees, his cap hit is 18 million and he's 35 years old. Say goodbye to big names on defense who would be involved in that trade. Would Brees even want to come to the Bills if the gutted their defense? That kind of defeats the purpose because the team would no longer really be built to win this year.

I know that many Bills fans have talked themselves out of EJ Manuel. But I think these fans have bought into the constant drum beat of misinformation that he was this horrible QB in the vein of a Blaine Gabbert. This perception simply is not reality. Reality is that EJ played exactly the way he was expected to play when he was drafted with good bad and ugly games that come from a "project" QB. EJ's rookie QB rating was almost 10 points higher than Blake Bortles. Where are all the stories that Jacksonville blew it by talking him at #3?...LOL EJ's QB rating was 3 points higher in 2014 than his 2013 rating. His first two games in 2014 were good and his last two were bad. That's what happens with young QBs who are raw coming out of college. I honestly think that these fans want to see EJ throw 3 TDs and 300 yards every few games. Because that's what the elite top 5 QBs do consistently. That's not EJ Manuel. These fans will never be happy with him if that's what they're looking for. There's a real chance that EJ can reach a "Joe Flacco" level play with some Kaerpernick/Newton run option mixed in. Just making the big plays when they are there and not worrying about eye popping passing numbers. That's EJ's game. The Bills are going to use a lot of misdirection with McCoy and Manuel moving in opposite directions and letting the defense pick which way the play's going. That's going to be the design of this offense IMO.

While I agree with you, and I do not think that Manuel is a foregone conclusion, there is no denying at this moment, we would be better with Rivers. While I don't think we trade for Rivers (Trade price + new contract is way too high), in the unlikely event he hits free agency, we should be willing to consider it. If EJ does well this year, we don't have to worry so much. If he does poorly, Whaley has to look at other options not named Orton, Cassel, and McCown.

We are better than Pitt and Denver talent-wise. Probably best roster in the NFL if you don't factor in the QB position imo.

That's like saying Marie Antoinette was really hot after she was guillotined if you don't factor in that she was without a head.

For the millionth time there are no such things as trap games. A long, lengthy study was conducted by Football Outsiders showing that teams won the same percentage of "trap games" as they do any other games. In fact the winning percentage for "trap games" was slightly higher

Trap indicates one team that "should on paper" beat another so I'd expect the winning percentage to be much higher, not slightly higher.

Yeah. First thing we need is a WR.

And backup TE

Anyone who considers Charles Clay a primary weapon simply doesn't watch games... TE must be addressed this draft... There's a very good crop this year, and there's NO EXCUSES not to get it done. WR needs attention too. Watkins may be uber-talented, but he won't always create dangerous mismatches on his own. We still need that big-threat guy to free up Sammy to make big plays... And I do mean BIG. -6'3" or better.

Some people are all about filling holes. Which is fine, but it doesn't win championships. Offense is about lethality. You need that one-two punch nobody can shut down... That's what gets bubbling teams over the top.

Would you at the cost of losing Dareus? Or Gilmore + Glenn? We could extend a Rivers contract to be somewhat cap friendly (if there is such a thing with QBs) while still paying him a large amount. I think Rivers would put this team over the top. If he hits free agency next year, Whaley has to give it some hard thought.

San Diego would be seeking draft picks, not defensive players, I'd think.

Anyone who considers Charles Clay a primary weapon simply doesn't watch games... TE must be addressed this draft... There's a very good crop this year, and there's NO EXCUSES not to get it done. WR needs attention too. Watkins may be uber-talented, but he won't always create dangerous mismatches on his own. We still need that big-threat guy to free up Sammy to make big plays... And I do mean BIG. -6'3" or better.

Some people are all about filling holes. Which is fine, but it doesn't win championships. Offense is about lethality. You need that one-two punch nobody can shut down... That's what gets bubbling teams over the top.

Clay is just coming into his prime and is getting better every year

We do need another TE......but Grey is VERY intriguing

People that talk about needing another WR seem to discount Robert Woods......which I really dont understand that kid is a flat out baller

Watkins WILL create those mismatches because that is really how good he really is

We really need better wooly mammoth's in front of our weapons......we have enough weapons