You've been a Bills fan for too long if...

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember program guy standing outside and yelling programs programs at the Rockpile. He looked drunk most of the time. I saw him at Rich Stadium too back in 73.

Genny white's all over the place.

Remember Bob Smith Bills photographer with Frank Woods another photographer, he had this giant red birth mark on his arm. They were always on the sidelines shooting.

How about Mack Lee Hill tore a ligament in his right knee during a game against the Bills on December 12, 1965, forcing him to undergo season-ending surgery on that knee two days later. He was still on the operating table when his temperature suddenly spiked to 108 degrees, triggering severe convulsions. He died 1 1/2 hours after surgery. Doctors said he suffered a "sudden and massive embolism

Edited by Helpmenow

Preston Ridelhuber, Monte Ledbetter, Gene Sykes, Booth Lustig, Mini Max Anderson, Mack Yoho, -

the search for the quarterback before Jack Kemp - Warren Raab, Richie Lucas, Al Dorow (please add to the list)

Former Buffalo Bill Jack Spikes

During the game against New York Jets on November 12, 1967 Jack Spikes was hit

by Henry King, a N.Y. Jets rookie defensive back. It was a clean hit, but the result was

scary for the thousands of witnesses. On the play, the hit must have made Spikes swallow

his tongue. As he lay there unconscious, the crowd saw his legs and arms thrashing around

in a very unusual manner. Everyone knew something was very wrong. The doctors on hand

we even ready to perform a tracheotomy if needed. Joe Namath was quoted as saying, "We

all felt sick when we saw it." He was was rushed to the hospital and with the quick thinking

doctors on and off the field, he was fine in a few days.

OMG

Man o man!

This thread is has become my favorite of all time !!

So glad you old farts are sharing all this stuff :thumbsup:

I honestly have tears starting, just considering what this all means to some of us.

Geez Louise.

Damned if i aint more proud than ever to be a fan. Not just of the team. But of you folks

:worthy:

Good for you 3rd and 12. Glad you're enjoying this. You get it! You truly get it and that makes me feel so good. It is important that younger fans know about this. Any fan of any team, has a way deeper & richer appreciation for their team when they know the goings on, be they good, bad, and in this case, the funny of their team's history. (That story about the season ticket group that paid for a seat for their keg of beer so they could enjoy it during the games, does it get any BETTER than that!!!?? That is so uniquely cool on so many levels. I don't think many fans of other teams can claim something like that. Its quintessential Bills fandom:) And yes, I'am an old fart, and proud of it.

...You think "Cookie" is a "who", not a "what".
...You think "Rockpile" is a "what", not a "who".
...You know what "Best Exit" means.
...Your idea of a quarterback controversy is Kemp-Lamonica.
...You remember that the only Bills home game that your Mom ever wanted to see in person was against the Los Angeles Rams, and that was because the Rams brought along Jim Nabors to sing the national anthem.
...You don't think that Bruce Smith is the greatest NFL defensive lineman of all time. Shoot, you don't think that he is the greatest BILLS defensive lineman of all time (see Sestak, Tom).
...Your dad took you to Bills games while wearing a fedora and a tie with a tie clip.
...Today, you have the strongest bladder of anyone in your office because, as a kid, it was either “hold it” or use the bathrooms at War Memorial Stadium.
...You have neck problems in your middle age because you spent most of the time in your youth watching Bills games in person while straining your neck in your seat while trying to look around a pole.
...Your idea of a sideline reporter is Dick Rifenburg.
...You thought that your Dad was the coolest because he left High Mass early with you so that you wouldn’t miss the opening kickoff.
...Your dad drove to the game, parked his car on the East Side, and the car was undamaged when he returned.
...You thought that Pete Gogolak was a sissy because he wasn’t a linebacker or lineman like all the other kickers in the league.
...You can still identify the smell of a warm Genny spilled on wood seats and concrete.
...Your parents thought that Miami was a neat place full of warm weather, people their age, and Jackie Gleason.
...Your Dad would go to the game with you and would sit through rain, sleet, snow and gloom of night so that he see that twinkle-towed sissy boy Joe Namath get slapped around by Ron McDole.
...More than once, you saw a Bill in the off-season in Buffalo working his part-time job as a steelworker / laborer / truck driver.
...You remember snow fences and a cinder track.
...Yohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-HO!
...you cared what Charley Bailey says.
...you think Laverne is a man’s name.
...you remember the haze on a Saturday night caused by stadium lights and thousands of chain smokers.
...your idea of "all sports, all the time" is WBEN-AM.
...you remember when Sunday games started at 2:00 p.m., then later on at 1:30 p.m.
...you consider Marty Schottenheimer to be a linebacker, not a coach.
...you remember Saturday night games.
...you thought that Ernie Warlick was the coolest football player around, not because he played football, but because he owned a hamburger stand.
...you remember a boy scout tent on the sidelines where the cheerleaders went to change, as well as dozens of men standing on the cinder track behind the snow fence next to the boy scout tent.
...your dad parked the car by the armory.
...you know what “What’s New, Harry?” means.
...you think that the best home uniforms were the ones with the stripes around the shoulders.
...you stopped at Freddie’s Doughnuts Sunday morning before the game.
...your kids don’t believe that there were once real first names like Remi, Hagood, Birtho, Daryle, Buster, Booth, Mack and Wray.
...you know the significance of the numbers 45,748 and 46,206.
...you remember Bills’ players missing games because they were on National Guard duty.
...your idea of “color commentary” is Stan Barron.
...you never could understand why Paul Maguire was listed on the roster as “LB”.
...you thought that Orchard Park was a “farming community”.
...you remember your dad sometimes still called it “Civic Stadium”.
...you know that “Duby” was a “flanker” and that “Bass” was a “split end”.
...you remember serious talk about the “Seattle Bills”.
...you remember the Camelot Motor Inn.

I remember when I was fourteen or fifteen riding my bike to the motor inn on Mile Strip Road between McKinley Parkway and South Park (this was long before the Ralph was constructed) to watch the Bills practice in training camp on a football field behind the motel. Maybe a dozen fans, a few coaches, and the players. The players lived in the motel and walked out to the field passing among the fans.

I remember Harry Jacobs wore a golf hat when he came out for stretching before practice. Everything was a lot simpler then.

It seems like a million years ago. It WAS a million years ago.

I also remember being about 10 years old and having to go downtown on West Mohawk Street to the Bills' offices to buy tickets. I recall standing in line on the sidewalk with my Mom kind of scared because it was a scary section of downtown.