You've been a Bills fan for too long if...

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Preston Ridelhuber, Monte Ledbetter, Gene Sykes, Booth Lustig, Mini Max Anderson, Mack Yoho, -

the search for the quarterback before Jack Kemp - Warren Raab, Richie Lucas, Al Dorow (please add to the list)

My 7th Grade Math teacher set it up to have Monte Ledbetter come talk to my Little League Football team in NT. Great memory! Closely followed his career thereafter. We all know how that turned out. Still, a great Childhood memory!

Good for you 3rd and 12. Glad you're enjoying this. You get it! You truly get it and that makes me feel so good. It is important that younger fans know about this. Any fan of any team, has a way deeper & richer appreciation for their team when they know the goings on, be they good, bad, and in this case, the funny of their team's history. (That story about the season ticket group that paid for a seat for their keg of beer so they could enjoy it during the games, does it get any BETTER than that!!!?? That is so uniquely cool on so many levels. I don't think many fans of other teams can claim something like that. Its quintessential Bills fandom:) And yes, I'am an old fart, and proud of it.

as well you should be.

You all earned it , so enjoy the privilege.

I was taught to respect my Elders and taught my children to do the same. They are all adults now btw.

Great post RWR !

Being a Bills fan is unlike any other i might guess.

Takes a special sort of character to stick with these Bills ,and still keep a chin up.

I include myself as one of them now.

I have been an old fart for awhile. just ask the kids ; )

There was a Bills post game show on Sunday Night in the early 70's. I think it was on that station that was on Grand Island. I believe it was where Paul Mcguire got his start in broadcasting. If I remember correctly Harry Jacobs and Art Stratton were the other two commentators. Those late 60, early 70 teams were brutal. I remember Jacobs saying, "when we played it was 4 yards and a cloud of dust. Now, it's 2 yards and a cloud of excuses." Even the ex-players were frustrated.

I also remember McGuire complaining when he played in 69 about a great punt he had. "Just my luck I kick the longest punt of the year and on the same day some guy kicks a 98 yarder."

Also back then it seems I knew every starting player on the team. Not just the Bills but their opponents. Lots of great players back then in the AFL.

I have a 1971 team ball that my parents got for me when we lived in an apartment off of Maple Road in Williamsville. Julian Nunamaker (sp?) who played for the Bills lived across the hall from us. He took the ball to practice and got it signed. Alvin Wyatt signed his name "Alvin B.S. Wyatt" and of course OJ and Al Cowlings are on that ball as well.....During the OJ trial I wondered if it was worth anything because it has the driver and the passenger of the infamous white van on it....guessing not....

For whatever reason, the two things I remember most about War Memorial Stadium was the cigar smoke and the endzone fan fights - always seemed more prevalent when we played the Boston Patriots.

:thumbsup: How about the Band that played in the end zone during timeouts.

Former Buffalo Bill Jack Spikes

During the game against New York Jets on November 12, 1967 Jack Spikes was hit

by Henry King, a N.Y. Jets rookie defensive back. It was a clean hit, but the result was

scary for the thousands of witnesses. On the play, the hit must have made Spikes swallow

his tongue. As he lay there unconscious, the crowd saw his legs and arms thrashing around

in a very unusual manner. Everyone knew something was very wrong. The doctors on hand

we even ready to perform a tracheotomy if needed. Joe Namath was quoted as saying, "We

all felt sick when we saw it." He was was rushed to the hospital and with the quick thinking

doctors on and off the field, he was fine in a few days.

Remember that, really rattled lots of people.

as well you should be.

You all earned it , so enjoy the privilege.

I was taught to respect my Elders and taught my children to do the same. They are all adults now btw.

Great post RWR !

Being a Bills fan is unlike any other i might guess.

Takes a special sort of character to stick with these Bills ,and still keep a chin up.

I include myself as one of them now.

I have been an old fart for awhile. just ask the kids ; )

Thanks 3rd and 12. You're doing the right things. This has been such an enjoyable topic. I wouldn't mind reading 40 more pages of people's stories.

Enjoy the up-coming season. It',s gonna be good.

Thanks 3rd and 12. You're doing the right things. This has been such an enjoyable topic. I wouldn't mind reading 40 more pages of people's stories.

Enjoy the up-coming season. It',s gonna be good.

Hey there!

I am ready.

Its gonna be crazy fun.

but i am quite the Homer.

case in point;

I was even rooting for Marrone. While he was the Coach.

Now i would kick him in the knee if i saw him.

I did not like Spikes, till he became a Bill . Then i loved him and want him signed again. I loathed Incognito till he became i Bills , now i am absolutely rooting for him to win the starting line up,

Did not like Rex , till he became Bill, now i adore him.

I am a Bills Fan and proud of it!

Go Bills!!

Hey there!

I am ready.

Its gonna be crazy fun.

but i am quite the Homer.

case in point;

I was even rooting for Marrone. While he was the Coach.

Now i would kick him in the knee if i saw him.

I did not like Spikes, till he became a Bill . Then i loved him and want him signed again. I loathed Incognito till he became i Bills , now i am absolutely rooting for him to win the starting line up,

Did not like Rex , till he became Bill, now i adore him.

I am a Bills Fan and proud of it!

Go Bills!!

Well 3rd and 12, as Paul McGuire would probably say, "I'll drink to that 3rd and 12. But you should really kick Marrone about 2 feet higher."

If you were just going by memory, I salute you! One misstep, Harry Jacobs wore #64

Thank you for getting it and correcting and I still remember numbers by relating them to 60's Bills uniform numbers. How could I screw up Harry Jacobs?