My afternoon with Rex, Thurman, and Jimbo

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to rub it in, but the cool thing about Buffalo is you never know who might take you up!

Sometimes that's not so cool if it catches you off guard.

I think Seinfeld did a show on this. It's the mandatory "invite" but with no real expectation for the invite to be accepted. Like when people say "we should do something" and nothing happens.

That would be hilarious. "Ok let's do it." "Wait, what? (in your head you're thinking I didnt think he was serious)"

Ps. Jay,forget about the pants, the jersey, your truck is bomb!!!!

The reporter from SI was still in Buffalo yesterday, on the field as Rex threw out the first pitch at the Bisons game. No wonder the story hasn't shown up yet. Thurman posted on FB that it would be the cover story.

If I was there I would have. I did not get invited because I am not drinking the Kool-Aid. I will wait and see how this "new" team meshes together before I'm all in. On a side note, I was in the BTI Saturday night and there was a Bills coach there. I have been in other restaurants in OP were coaches and players hang out.Some players or coaches might want the attention but most want to be treated as average people that's why I don't fawn over them. Like the verse in the Lynyrd Skynyrd song sez I you want to talk fishing that's OK, If you want to talk.....

I never talk to them because they get way to much of it. Do like to nod a hi.

If I don't see a time and date stamp on the pictures, it never happened

Also, Rex Ryan appears to be 4' 5" tall........his mouth is bigger then that.

Edited by HOUSE

I don't have a subscription to SI and the last one I got was one that someone gave me with a picture of Drayton Florence running a Tom Brady interception into the end zone at The Ralph. That one is in a frame in my basement bar. I would definitely grab a copy and frame that one as well!

Peter King teases the article in the Ten Things I Think I Think section of today's MMQB:

I think you’ll really enjoy Jenny Vrentas’ story on The MMQB and in Sports Illustrated this week, on Rex Ryan’s early days in Buffalo. Here’s a stunner: Ryan softpedals nothing.

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

Not to rub it in, but the cool thing about Buffalo is you never know who might take you up!

Very True. A buddy of mine sent me a picture of a clearly blacked out Gabe Northern from his tailgate a few years back. It was pretty awesome.

Personal feelings after having met him and come across him many times. Pompous, arrogant ass. Self important also and I will say at least certain things about his job I would disagree with you on, he's not very good at it.

Fair enough, I appreciate the explanation.

Very True. A buddy of mine sent me a picture of a clearly blacked out Gabe Northern from his tailgate a few years back. It was pretty awesome.

Gabe has dark skin color but I really don't think that was necessary.

Got a call from my front-office guy Monday saying SI would be doing an interview/photo shoot with Rex at the Big Tree for an article on the optimism in Buffalo since he arrived and asking if I wanted to be in the photo. Had to keep it on the down-low to avoid a stampede. Well DUH! Found out the next day that Jim & Thurman would also be included. So I took the day off and headed to Buffalo.

The SI reporter talked to Rex at a back table while the assembled volunteers did what we do - had a few beers and talked Bills. Pinto Kenny was there, as were "The Chefs". Chatted with Jim & Thurman a bit.

When the solo interview was over, they all went to a table, had some wings, and talked in front of the camera for about half an hour. Discussed how the Bills are so integral to the community and how Rex is fitting in, how Rex compares to Marv and the current team to the 90s version. Sounds like both Jim & Thurman are involved quite a bit - Thurman's first meeting with Rex turned into a film session on a QB they were looking at (but refused to name). Jim stressed the need for internal leadership, and of course a QB who could use all those weapons. Seemed like there were no tears shed when Marrone left.

After that they arranged the assembled fans behind the 3 while they snapped pics.

Jim seems to be doing very well - was very energetic and looks to have put back some of the weight he lost during treatment.

It was a very cool way to spend a few hours.

11116487_954905534533187_739748924741038

10464239_954908194532921_708693768724374

I am so very jealous! what an amazing experience for you!

@BigTreeInn: We made the big time! Thanks to @McbrideClay @SInow @JennyVrentas @thurmanthomas @JimKellyInc #SIcover #rexryan! http://t.co/6pvtmJSjbu

Jenny Vrentas tweeted it is the current print SI issue and will be online tomorrow in MMQB. If you magnify the Twitter pic of the article you can read it.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Btw Thurman really dogged Marrone in the article.

Does he not know that Marrone is the revered OLine coach for the vaunted Jacksonville Jaguars? I think he can take that unit to new lows. Then, since they're the Jags, they may put him in charge!

Does he not know that Marrone is the revered OLine coach for the vaunted Jacksonville Jaguars? I think he can take that unit to new lows. Then, since they're the Jags, they may put him in charge!

for anyone who didn't read it yet - thurman said marrone was never a good fit in Buffalo and that he didn't like going to OBD because of Marrone,but did it for the players.

Also - Rex responded to that comment by Jace Amaro that he ran a loose ship. RIP Amaro.

Edited by YoloinOhio

@BigTreeInn: We made the big time! Thanks to @McbrideClay @SInow @JennyVrentas @thurmanthomas @JimKellyInc #SIcover #rexryan! http://t.co/6pvtmJSjbu

Jenny Vrentas tweeted it is the current print SI issue and will be online tomorrow in MMQB. If you magnify the Twitter pic of the article you can read it.

AWESOME!!!!!!

Thurman aint shy