Whaley wants Mario and Kyle to retire as Bills

@viccarucci: GM Doug Whaley wants "to set a precedent" w DE Mario Williams & DT Kyle Williams retiring as #Bills: http://t.co/V0VyoTDAbx

Re: Mario's contract: "He could free up the most and make it the most logical, because what we would do is not only restructure, but extend him similar to what the Bills recently did with defensive tackle Kyle Williams, so these guys retire as Buffalo Bills," Whaley said. "We want to set a precedent that we retain our own and we have them retire as Buffalo Bills. I think thats a sentiment were trying to show the players on our roster now."

Edited by YoloinOhio

It's so hard to do in the NFL but I guess it's good the intention is there. Players careers end so abruptly or if they play very well into their 30's the cap comes up and could force them to spend a year or two elsewhere. On the other hand once players start to decline it's hard to not cut them and then they may get another shot down the line.

Edited by billsfan89

I predicted a few weeks ago that Mario's cap hit could be cut in half but was laughed at so Im fairly curious how this turns out

with a cap hit of almost 20 mil this year that could def be cut in half especially since they plan on adding years to his deal which is what usually happens when contracts are restructured in order to spread out the additional guaranteed money

Edited by Max997

I want to take the time, again, to thank the Pegulas, to thank Doug Marrone for being an arrogant prick, and to thank Bill Polian for being a selfish coward (in this instance, normally I love the guy) so that we could be so fortunate as to have the El Petulante/Rex Roman/Doug Whaley leadership of our beloved team. It could be a long great trip.

I want to take the time, again, to thank the Pegulas, to thank Doug Marrone for being an arrogant prick, and to thank Bill Polian for being a selfish coward (in this instance, normally I love the guy) so that we could be so fortunate as to have the El Petulante/Rex Roman/Doug Whaley leadership of our beloved team. It could be a long great trip.

Hear hear!

Amen!

I still don't buy the entire Polian to much lifting thing. There's got to be more to that whole story IMO. I think he tried to get ahead of himself, rumored to bringing in AJ Smith, etc, where TP told him, hold on, I just asked you to come in and consult.

I also wonder if Whaley's comments means a restructure is very close??

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

I still don't buy the entire Polian to much lifting thing. There's got to be more to that whole story IMO. I think he tried to get ahead of himself, rumored to bringing in AJ Smith, etc, where TP told him, hold on, I just asked you to come in and consult.

I don't really buy the too much lifting thing either. I would bet anything that it was all about the HOF. Polian wanted his cake and to eat it to. He wanted the HOF thing to be a certainty, and I don't think he was ever going to do any heavy lifting for the Bills.

But he didn't want to appear to the HOF voters that he was going to be working full time on the Bills, and when Marrone was gone, suddenly the media would be constantly asking Polian what about a new coach, what about the GM job, and the Pegulas would want his say whether or not Whaley was still going to be there. And Polian just didn't want the HOF voters to be able to say he's going back to an NFL job, when he retires for good he will be voted in. That's why IMO he bowed out and said the heavy lifting thing.

:lol:

Pure speculation on my part... but with Mario:

1. well into his deal

2. Chewing up cap big time

3. not stopping father time...

I'm sure he/his agent and Whaley have had conversations about this. All the reasons Whaley outlined in quote make sense. Win-win for everyone. As Bills fans, we then have to hope he produces at a high level for 4-5 more years.

If they haven't even discussed this, I doubt Whaley makes any sort of public comment. I, personally, would speculate that Mario has already told him he's willing to do a 'fair' deal and extend. Defining 'fair' will be the kicker. Either way, I love the proactive approach.

:lol:

Pure speculation on my part... but with Mario:

1. well into his deal

2. Chewing up cap big time

3. not stopping father time...

I'm sure he/his agent and Whaley have had conversations about this. All the reasons Whaley outlined in quote make sense. Win-win for everyone. As Bills fans, we then have to hope he produces at a high level for 4-5 more years.

If they haven't even discussed this, I doubt Whaley makes any sort of public comment. I, personally, would speculate that Mario has already told him he's willing to do a 'fair' deal and extend. Defining 'fair' will be the kicker. Either way, I love the proactive approach.

it got buried in the hughes thread but a source said that during those negotiations there was at least one member of the DL who volunteered to restructure if needed to sign Hughes. Mario probably knows it is coming anyway with Dareus.

Well said, Kelly. Well said. I echo your sentiments.

Well said, Kelly. Well said. I echo your sentiments.

you people need to reign them there sentyments in asap!

y'all gettin girly.

can we just wait till the turf is flying before we start sending flowers.

geeez.

Go Bills

@viccarucci: GM Doug Whaley wants "to set a precedent" w DE Mario Williams & DT Kyle Williams retiring as #Bills: http://t.co/V0VyoTDAbx

Re: Mario's contract: "He could free up the most and make it the most logical, because what we would do is not only restructure, but extend him similar to what the Bills recently did with defensive tackle Kyle Williams, so these guys retire as Buffalo Bills," Whaley said. "We want to set a precedent that we retain our own and we have them retire as Buffalo Bills. I think thats a sentiment were trying to show the players on our roster now."

Good hopefully Dareus and Connor Cook too.

I don't really buy the too much lifting thing either. I would bet anything that it was all about the HOF. Polian wanted his cake and to eat it to. He wanted the HOF thing to be a certainty, and I don't think he was ever going to do any heavy lifting for the Bills.

But he didn't want to appear to the HOF voters that he was going to be working full time on the Bills, and when Marrone was gone, suddenly the media would be constantly asking Polian what about a new coach, what about the GM job, and the Pegulas would want his say whether or not Whaley was still going to be there. And Polian just didn't want the HOF voters to be able to say he's going back to an NFL job, when he retires for good he will be voted in. That's why IMO he bowed out and said the heavy lifting thing.

Last time he was in the NFL, Polian constructed a 2-14 team.

Great GM in his time but too many folks listen to Glory Days.

Marrone quitting is the best thing that ever happened to this franchise. He may never be a head coach again and we kept one of the best young GMs in the NFL and completely upgrade at head coach.

it got buried in the hughes thread but a source said that during those negotiations there was at least one member of the DL who volunteered to restructure if needed to sign Hughes. Mario probably knows it is coming anyway with Dareus.

unfortunately, with the term restructure now becoming commonplace here, its got to be acknowledged that its incredibly vague and while a mixed bag for a team, the basic salry to bonus is pretty much always good for a player. on the surface its typically just shifting dollars to come upfront for accounting benefits, but people use it for extensions, pay cuts, and generally any change to a contract. Its hard to know what that player would be willing to do, even if its mario.

If this is true, that's awesome.

If this is true, that's awesome.

this being an exhibit of what i was saying with the confusion on the term. Mario should volunteer 100 times out of 100 for a basic restructure, as it would get him this years salary quicker and nearly 100% guarantees his salary/bonuses the next few years by creating large dead money if hes cut. in that sense, its not particularly awesome, its him making the right financial choice for himself.