Trent Dilfer

Dilfer  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Is Super Bowl winning quarterback Trent Dilfer an elite quarterback?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is priceless coming from the user named "Show Me The Baby".

Trent has 1 baby whereas Jimbo and Danny have 0 between them ...

Rob Johnson has more Superbowl rings than Kelly and Marino. He must be elite.

Add: if this is to argue you don't need an elite quarterback to win the SB, thus saying we are OK with MC at the helm, just stop.

Add again: is the person who voted yes a "chef" who uses the delicacy pickle juice as a main ingredient in his pasta dishes?

Why??? Why do I get sucked into these threads....

An elite QB certainly increases the odds a great deal; however, there clearly have been Super Bowls won by QBs who were nowhere near elite - and by elite QBs who had less than elite performances...

It really is an odd argument. Dilfer wasn't even an elite game manager. He was a below average QB that had a great defense and running game (sound familiar). Just because his team won doesn't mean that he was good. He was smart, and understood his role. He was the veteran QB tasked with not screwing up an elite supporting cast (sound familiar).

Guys that didn't even play in the playoffs or SB don't count. But Rob did break the sub 40 Buccaneers losing jinx. So there is that.

Hostetler?

not stars in less than 6 games of 7 for the next 6 years

If an elite QB leaves a team and it isn't elite anymore, doesn't that prove that it was the elite QB that won them the SB?

look at the W/L records

in case you missed a late update

elite QB's do not sit behind the likes of Tony Banks 8 games into a season

look at the single vote for yes.

nuf said

buh bye

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Hostetler?

Yes IMHO.

I was the one who said this about Trent in the shoutbox one day and it has taken on a life of it's own. Let me explain my reasoning.

After reading on here in dang near every thread from the one about who will be our QB next year to the one about the Bills waterboy undercooling the gatorade by 2 degrees which cost us the Raiders game and a chance at the playoffs, that if you don't have an elite QB you will never win the SB. Don't even try. Play rookies. Draft 6 QBs per year etc.

So I have taken it as true that you have to have an elite QB to win SB. So the inverse of that would be that any team that does win the SB has an elite QB. They have to. Can't win without one.

Hence, Trent Dilfer, Hoss, and Mark Rypien are ELITE!

Actually it is somewhat sarcastic because I believe this whole "elite" and "franchise" QB is a ridiculous argument anyway. QB while important, is only one guy on the team. The other 21 guys contribute and have a big impact as well.

That said, plenty of QBs with good teams/coaches/defenses have choked away playoff games. The elite QBs don't choke away golden opportunities like Trent didn't in 2000.

Besides, Trent was not a bad QB. He had a decent run with Tampa Bay and even got them to NFC Championship in 1999. As I recall there was a controversial bad call that set up the Rams for the go ahead TD.

He wasn't quite elite that year, but he was getting close.

Edited by reddogblitz

Yes IMHO.

I was the one who said this in the shoutbox one day and it has taken on a life of it's own. Let me explain my reasoning.

After reading on here in dang near every thread from the one about who will be our QB next year to the one about the Bills waterboy undercooling the gatorade by 2 degrees which cost us the Raiders game and a chance at the playoffs, that if you don't have an elite QB you will never win the SB. Don't even try. Play rookies. Draft 6 QBs per year etc.

So I have taken it as true that you have to have an elite QB to win SB. So the inverse of that would be that any team that does win the SB has an elite QB.

Hence, Trent Dilfer, Hoss, and Mark Rypien are ELITE!

Actually it is somewhat sarcastic because I believe this whole "elite" and "franchise" QB is a ridiculous argument anyway. QB while important, is only one guy on the team. The other 21 guys contribute and have a big impact as well.

That said, plenty of QBs with good teams/coaches/defenses have choked away playoff games. The elite QBs don't choke away golden opportunities like Trent didn't in 2000.

Fair enough and thanks for the clarification. I for one appreciate sarcastically using absolutes to keep the hyperbole under control.