Trent Dilfer

Dilfer  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Is Super Bowl winning quarterback Trent Dilfer an elite quarterback?

This thread is silly. Differ's best season was in 1997 when he went 10-6 with the Bucs. The year before we thought he finally was coming around and went 5-0 in his start to the year, and finished 6-10.

Whoever the numbskull is who states he's elite is either too young to remember his entire career, or doesn't know much about football. You might as well say Mark Rypien and Brad Johnson are elite as well.

Serviceable QB's can win a SB, but only with elite defenses, an excellent running game, a reliable kicker, and solid special teams, basically winning in spite of him.

It's funny as I like Todd Bowles comments this week, stating there are not even 12 franchise QB's in the league so not every team making the playoffs has a franchise QB. He was right on the money. EJ, Cassel, or whoever just can't se the games for us, and we need a real hit in the 2nd round at Guard. We get a great line and Shady is going to have a 1500 yard season. We'll also see lots of easy passes to TE's, and wouldn't be surprised if we pick in the third round another one on top of Clay, and Grey.

19-0 baby!

I'm very excited and yes, I like Sexy Rexxy. He's made it fun this off season. Look for us to be even better on defense. I loved Whaley's comments about being boring in free agency next year and trying to resign our guys. God I hope the new TV money comes through and a big lift from an entire season on network TV on TR nights bringing up the revenue. We'll need it to pay for Dareus, and possibly Gillmore, and Glenn.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is silly. Differ's best season was in 1997 when he went 10-6 with the Bucs. The year before we thought he finally was coming around and went 5-0 in his start to the year, and finished 6-10.

Whoever the numbskull is who states he's elite is either too young to remember his entire career, or doesn't know much about football. You might as well say Mark Rypien and Brad Johnson are elite as well.

Serviceable QB's can win a SB, but only with elite defenses, an excellent running game, a reliable kicker, and solid special teams, basically winning in spite of him.

This thread is someone's agenda stemming from a silly shoutbox argument with one fella claiming eliteness for all SB winning QB or somesuch.

The guy who started the thread remembers Dilfer's career just fine

This. There are actually quite a few superbowl winning QB who fall into the category of "servicable NFL QB but not elite" IMO.

The only real debate is whether this can still happen - I would argue "yes *cough*Wilson*yes*cough*Flacco"

The Flacco example is a poor one because he sure as hell played like an elite QB through the entire playoffs that season. Having a guy that can get hot and carry your team for a run like that is very different from a player like Dilfer who was a serviceable game manager when he was at his best.

Wilson is in the "Excellent Game Manager Plus" category for me. He is an outstanding game manager who is a very effective runner. His decision making is top shelf.

Edited by BarleyNY

Honestly, if we had Fitz last year, we're a playoff team. We had a horrendous defense when Fitz was here.

You know I have pondered this a lot. I think Fitpatrick is a better Quarterback that Orton was... however I was asking myself "does he make us a play-off team?" and I can't help but feel his propensity for the crucial mistake means the answer is "no" he doesn't. The ultimate dichotomy of Ryan Fitzpatrick is that he is a game manager talent with a gunslinger's instincts and that is normally his downfall.

You know I have pondered this a lot. I think Fitpatrick is a better Quarterback that Orton was... however I was asking myself "does he make us a play-off team?" and I can't help but feel his propensity for the crucial mistake means the answer is "no" he doesn't. The ultimate dichotomy of Ryan Fitzpatrick is that he is a game manager talent with a gunslinger's instincts and that is normally his downfall.

If he had this talent around him, and relied on the run game, we'd be in. The infamous play where where Orton slid short of the pylon, wouldn't have happened with Fitz. Whether you loved him or hated him, he played with heart and determination on every play.

This. There are actually quite a few superbowl winning QB who fall into the category of "servicable NFL QB but not elite" IMO.

The only real debate is whether this can still happen - I would argue "yes *cough*Wilson*yes*cough*Flacco"

The guy that tied Joe Montana's post-season stats in his SB winning year? He's "servicable"?

It can definitely still happen. Wilson is proof of that. He is a slightly above average QB, who plays in a system tailored to maximize his strengths, while not requiring him to "win" games. And we'll see it happen again this year in San Franciscio when the Bills host the Lombardi trophy!!

JAG's are no elite. so I'm a bit confused.... have you given up the debate?

Just going with your definition for a minute.

I did read this about Trent:

"Dilfer started the final two games of the season, and with Seattle in the playoff hunt, won them both. He ended the season by throwing five touchdowns and two interceptions in two three-point victories. The Seahawks' AFC (they were still in the AFC in 2001) wild-card hopes ended when the Ravens beat the Minnesota Vikings 19-3 on Monday Night Football. At the end of the season, Dilfer's passer rating was 92.0 and he had won 15 straight starts."

Trent took over a struggling team having problems winning and got them to win. Same thing he did in Baltimore. It's what elite QBs do.

Don't know this as a 100% fact, but I would suspect that since then only Tom Brady has been able to string together 15 straight wins.

Edited by reddogblitz

Just going with your definition for a minute.

I did read this about Trent:

"Dilfer started the final two games of the season, and with Seattle in the playoff hunt, won them both. He ended the season by throwing five touchdowns and two interceptions in two three-point victories. The Seahawks' AFC (they were still in the AFC in 2001) wild-card hopes ended when the Ravens beat the Minnesota Vikings 19-3 on Monday Night Football. At the end of the season, Dilfer's passer rating was 92.0 and he had won 15 straight starts."

Trent took over a struggling team having problems winning and got them to win. Same thing he did in Baltimore. It's what elite QBs do.

Don't know this as a 100% fact, but I would suspect that since then only Tom Brady has been able to string together 15 straight wins.

Nobody said he wasn't good. But he isn't elite. That stat is actually impressive. But elite is something that last more than 15 games. It's a career long thing. Atleast 10 years.