Bills to pick up 5th year option on Gilmore- update: Done!

Thanks. I could have saved some research/typing time by simply asking if he was really a top 10 CB.

I know he has shown good improvement, and that he has always been touted to have elite potential....but with the amount of flak he receives around here I am surprised by a commitment of top 10 money.

Fans don't determine his salary. Coaches and GM think differently.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the 2nd half of last year, yes, he was outstanding.

This is good to hear, particularly with regards to Rex's D. I'm surprised there wasn't more talk in the "Sign Revis" thread about how good Gilmore has become.

This is good to hear, particularly with regards to Rex's D. I'm surprised there wasn't more talk in the "Sign Revis" thread about how good Gilmore has become.

Admittedly, I wasn't as active in that thread as others, but I do seem to remember a fair amount of Gilmore-love going on in there.

If you have game rewind, I'd recommend re-watching the Denver and Green Bay games for a sample. Best back-to-back games I've seen by a Bills' corner in my life. Still chafes me that he got called for that DPI penalty against Denver (hitting E. Sanders) when the rules are so darn specific that contact within 1 yard of the LOS is NOT pass interference. Ugh.

Dibs, I think he really showed "elite" skills down the stretch this last season, say most of the last half of the season. It was a pretty noticeable improvement, in my opinion. In fact, last night, on NFL Network (for whatever that is worth) they were arguing if Revis/Cromartie were the best DB tandem in the league...Eric Davis, a corner himself at one time, argued that while they might have a slight edge because of Revis, he mentioned Gilmore and McKelvin as "not far behind", and really seemed impressed with Gilmore. Not that I think he was wrong (and the nob he was "arguing with" seemed to agree about Gilmore), it was just odd to hear somebody nationally, saying it. Observers are starting to notice him...

Of course, in 2013, personally, I thought Leodis had taken a huge step toward that elite status, finally...but then he fell off a bit in 2014. Most of that could be contributed to injuries suffered throughout the year across the secondary...

Also very good to hear.

As my talent evaluation skills can sometimes be lacking, I rely a lot on you guys/gals to keep me informed. It also helps me in my constant figuring of potential future cap situations(which many of you know that I like doing).

Delaying his extension lets me breath a little easier about next off season.

which is funny, because his extension may even be more cap friendly. year to year rentals hit you hard, as you cant play with structure at all. its fine as a worst case though.

If you have game rewind, I'd recommend re-watching the Denver and Green Bay games for a sample. Best back-to-back games I've seen by a Bills' corner in my life. Still chafes me that he got called for that DPI penalty against Denver (hitting E. Sanders) when the rules are so darn specific that contact within 1 yard of the LOS is NOT pass interference. Ugh.

I think the problem with the novice watching Gilmore(me for example) is that he does not seem to have many big plays....and those penalties, warranted or not, stick in ones mind. It is why I actively seek feedback on CBs here. I have learned that like OLmen, if you don't hear their name called in a game it could likely mean that they are doing an excellent job.

Edited by Dibs

Huge Gilmore fan. They're so many studs on this D, I love it. Good move.

I think the problem with the novice watching Gilmore(me for example) is that he does not seem to have many big plays....and those penalties, warranted or not, stick in ones mind. It is why I actively seek feedback on CBs here. I have learned that like OLmen, if you don't hear their name called in a game it could likely mean that they are doing an excellent job.

True. The two that stick out in my mind are the BS calls against Miami and Denver. But I also recall him getting away with a few, one a jersey clencher vs Green Bay.

Admittedly, I wasn't as active in that thread as others, but I do seem to remember a fair amount of Gilmore-love going on in there.

that had to be one of the worst calls all NFL last season. It's not even close to a new rule. Bump and run. He was bumping E. Sanders. I was livid at that call, and am again now that I am reminded of it.

that had to be one of the worst calls all NFL last season. It's not even close to a new rule. Bump and run. He was bumping E. Sanders. I was livid at that call, and am again now that I am reminded of it.

I don't know that I'd call that bump-and-run. He peeled off his zone assignment and blasted the tar out of Sanders just before the ball got there. Still though--very bad call according to more than 1 component of the DPI rule.

Good, with Dareus, Bradham, and Glenn also due up pushing off Gilmore's free agency off for another year is a good thing. A steep price kinda but the cap is going up and up so it's not unreasonable esp given the value of CB's in Rex's system. Hopefully they get Bradham to a modest extension in the off-season and they work on Dareus later in the summer (Worst comes to worse you franchise Dareus). Glenn is the X-Factor, his contact value is going to depend on how well he plays this season. It would be nice with Gilmore's option picked up if they took care of Bradham and Dareus and had the franchise tag to use on Glenn if he plays lights out.

Edited by billsfan89

Gilmore shows flashes of being an elite cb but he's not quite there yet. I think he will flourish under Rex.

He will have to. A lot of what Rex wants to do relies on them having a shutdown type corner to lock up the other team's top receiver. I agree, I don't think Gilmore is there yet. He looked good at the end of last year. Hopefully this is the year he really shines

I just feel that teams like the jets made huge mistakes giving huge money to free agent corners

Secondary is one of those positions I think you draft a lot of because you NEED to keep good play going despite high turnover.......

I like Gilmore....hope we keep him.......we need another young corner to step up that we have actually drafted.

IF he is going to become an elite shutdown corner, he will do it playing for Rex.

That is a very good point!! With that said, maybe we should try to lock him into a long-term deal before his BEST season which is coming with Rex?

I just feel that teams like the jets made huge mistakes giving huge money to free agent corners

Secondary is one of those positions I think you draft a lot of because you NEED to keep good play going despite high turnover.......

I like Gilmore....hope we keep him.......we need another young corner to step up that we have actually drafted.

What killed the jets was big money to guys like Sanchez, and santonio more than revis or cromartie

One of his best plays last year was one where he got called for bs pass interference against Miami. Great move by the front office. Hell be top 5 next year with Rex.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24806307/bills-not-happy-with-officiating-stephon-gilmore-calls-pi-a-bull ****-call

one of the MANY things that pissed me off about that game. Still pissed. That was a good play by Gilmore. Stupid ref.