Incredible Live Musical Performances

Azalin

This isn't a thread about who's better than who. It's just intended to be a place to post footage of a live performance that captures the artist at their best. It can be anything, any genre, as long as it's a live performance.

Though I've played & written music most of my life, there's not a whole lot out there in terms of genre that I care for. I've always been drawn to those particular artists that stand above the rest - people like Al Hirt, Chet Atkins, Les Paul, Buddy Rich, Aretha Franklin, Jimi Hendrix - across the spectrum to people like Placido Domingo, Luciano Pavarotti, and Sarah Chang.

I'm picking this one to start for two reasons. First, the playing is beyond sick. Second, the accompanying bass is incredible, and is performed by Buffalo's own Billy Sheehan.

http://youtu.be/5PIi7ujSsuM

I know you're all tired of me pimping these guys but they are so tight live.

That's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping people would post. I'm not familiar with them at all, and as I was listening I thought 'pretty good, loose groove, tight band' and then the guitar came out of nowhere - very impressive! You don't often see any extended solos on a mini-moog nowadays, either.

:beer:

That's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping people would post. I'm not familiar with them at all, and as I was listening I thought 'pretty good, loose groove, tight band' and then the guitar came out of nowhere - very impressive! You don't often see any extended solos on a mini-moog nowadays, either.

:beer:

Best live shows I've ever seen. And the crowd has a blast. Just saw them a couple weeks ago.

Edited by Chef Jim

This isn't a thread about who's better than who. It's just intended to be a place to post footage of a live performance that captures the artist at their best. It can be anything, any genre, as long as it's a live performance.

Though I've played & written music most of my life, there's not a whole lot out there in terms of genre that I care for. I've always been drawn to those particular artists that stand above the rest - people like Al Hirt, Chet Atkins, Les Paul, Buddy Rich, Aretha Franklin, Jimi Hendrix - across the spectrum to people like Placido Domingo, Luciano Pavarotti, and Sarah Chang.

I'm picking this one to start for two reasons. First, the playing is beyond sick. Second, the accompanying bass is incredible, and is performed by Buffalo's own Billy Sheehan.

http://youtu.be/5PIi7ujSsuM

Vai is sick. I've seen videos of him playing, and said "But you can't DO that with a guitar!" And from what I've heard, an all-around decent guy. I know people who've gone to his shows down here, that've said after the show he'll hang out and shoot the **** with people.

Best concert I ever saw, though, was Eric Johnson at the Tralf. He's gone too "smooth jazz" for my tastes since, but the guy is an unbelievable machine on the guitar.

I've seen The Gaslight Anthem a few times live. Awesome band live, especially in a small setting. Absolutely blasts your ears off and it's tons of fun. No good videos of those types of shows though.

They are great live. Have you ever seen The Hold Steady in concert...same kinda thing, loud as hell, excellent songs and fun to watch

I've seen The Gaslight Anthem a few times live. Awesome band live, especially in a small setting. Absolutely blasts your ears off and it's tons of fun. No good videos of those types of shows though.

I saw Widespread Panic this past weekend. They put on a good show but the best entertainment comes from the crowd. I was up front and they played Zeppelin's D'yer Maker in the middle of the encore. I gave David Schools their bass player a look of "really?!?!" He shrugged back and with a look of "I know, this wasn't my idea." :lol:

that't the best, that interaction with the band...my free at noon shows i often go right up front center, 3 feet from the lead singer...nothing better than getting a reaction out of the band while they are playing.

I saw Widespread Panic this past weekend. They put on a good show but the best entertainment comes from the crowd. I was up front and they played Zeppelin's D'yer Maker in the middle of the encore. I gave David Schools their bass player a look of "really?!?!" He shrugged back and with a look of "I know, this wasn't my idea." :lol:

They are great live. Have you ever seen The Hold Steady in concert...same kinda thing, loud as hell, excellent songs and fun to watch

I had tickets last time they were in town and my car broke down on my way to the show, in the middle of nowhere. By the time AAA got there it was 7:30. I had half a mind to just abandon my car on the side of the road and call a cab. Still kinda wish I had :lol:

Vai is sick. I've seen videos of him playing, and said "But you can't DO that with a guitar!" And from what I've heard, an all-around decent guy. I know people who've gone to his shows down here, that've said after the show he'll hang out and shoot the **** with people.

Best concert I ever saw, though, was Eric Johnson at the Tralf. He's gone too "smooth jazz" for my tastes since, but the guy is an unbelievable machine on the guitar.

Yeah, Vai is a monster. I first saw him performing with Zappa at either the Century Theater or Shea's - I can't remember which venue it was - back in '80 or '81. I saw him again with David Lee Roth in North Carolina, and twice here in town since moving to Austin. At one of the Austin shows, Eric Johnson joined Vai on stage. Johnson is very popular here, being a local boy. I've never met him, but I'm bound to sooner or later, since he apparently hangs out just about everywhere I do, but always seems to leave about 10 minutes before I arrive.

My all-time favorite guitarist - check out the solo at 2:41

G. Love is awesome!!! Love the new album

Nothing beats his live shows. The way he lets his drummer sing some oldie like sexual healing or heard it thru the grapevine where they mix it in with his new songs are sweet. Chef can pimp umphreys. I pimp g love. I'll add against me though, guys a girl now but they still kick ass.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

fixed it for you :devil:

Nothing beats his live shows. The way he lets his drummer sing some oldie like sexual healing or heard it thru the grapevine where they mix it in with his new songs are sweet. Chef can pimp umphreys. I pimp pump g love.special sauce

BB King at the Landmark Theater in 1996 was one of the best live shows I have ever seen. I always like seeing Moe live, and Metallica at Lollapaloosa in 95 was quite an experience. I'm all over the map when it comes to music. My first live show was The Grateful Dead at Rich Stadium in 1994. I was in a freshman in high school, and my brother let me tag along. Amazing.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

I saw Gatemouth Brown at a little hole in the wall called the East End in Madison, WI circa 2000. One of the best shows I have ever seen. No clips, but this one ain't bad.

Edited by Show Me The Baby