LaCanfora - Fins best Positioned to Knock Off Pats

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently he hasn't read the thread on here where OC in Buffalo scientifically proves that EJ is better than tannehill.

No, but I think he skipped the part where the Phins lost Moreno, their top three receivers, starting TE, Odrick, and practically all their LB and OG depth.

They've made some notable gains, but better than the Pats?

Jason La Canfora has a piece today saying that in the AFC arms race the Dolphins are in the best position to take down the Pats as the division champs (but still says NE is by far the class of the division).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25114104/in-afc-east-arms-race-dolphins-look-most-ready-to-challenge-pats

I'll admit I'm a homer with bias, but I don't see how Miami got much better than last season - they lost 4 of their top 6 receivers and gained a nice TE who has injury problems. Suh is nice to have, but he can't be your entire defense. I they do seem to have the best QB not named Brady, but who's he throwing to and who is running the ball?

I think the Jets have made some decent moves and will have a solid defense - I see them ahead of Miami.

Everyone points out the obvious - the Bills lack a QB - but we went 9-7 last year and have gotten better in the offseason - with a QB is capable, not spectatcular, I think we improve on that 9-7 and contend. Just really don't know how Miami is best positioned to challenge....

No, but I think he skipped the part where the Phins lost Moreno, their top three receivers, starting TE, Odrick, and practically all their LB and OG depth.

They've made some notable gains, but better than the Pats?

They've made one notable gain, but lost their starting DT duo in the process. And at best, Stills for Wallace and Cameron for Clay are lateral moves, although I don't think Stills is a #1 WR like Wallace, and Cameron is a concussion risk.

They've made one notable gain, but lost their starting DT duo in the process. And at best, Stills for Wallace and Cameron for Clay are lateral moves, although I don't think Stills is a #1 WR like Wallace, and Cameron is a concussion risk.

Stills does have way more upside than Wallace who is a one trick pony. Agreed on Cameron. Great receiving threat when healthy, not so much as a blocker.

Isn't he the one with a lazy eye? Not trying to be rude but maybe it effects his judgment.

No, he's just lazy. Remember when St. Doug quit and LaCanfora had him going to the Jets?

they definitely have backed themselves into having to take a WR with their 1st rd pick and hope he becomes a #1 because there aren't any guys like that left in FA. It's pretty difficult for a rookie WR to step on the field and perform in a #1 WR role which is why Watkins was such a premium. Personally I think their offense got worse and they are stuck drafting for need with all the moves they made to sign Suh. Edited by YoloinOhio

Stills does have way more upside than Wallace who is a one trick pony. Agreed on Cameron. Great receiving threat when healthy, not so much as a blocker.

Stills has a long way to gonzo even get to Wallace's level. Word in NO is that he was immature. And there he had Brees throwing to him.

they definitely have backed themselves into having to take a WR with their 1st rd pick and hope he becomes a #1 because there aren't any guys like that left in FA. It's pretty difficult for a rookie WR to step on the field and perform in a #1 WR role which is why Watkins was such a premium. Personally I think their offense for worse unless they are stuck drafting for need with all the moves they made to sign Suh.

Crabtree- Landry- stills isn't terrible as a trio of they go that direction, with Cameron at TE

Actually, I think all the teams not named Patriots got better this off season. It's going to be a brutal stretch for the NFC East having to play all of us. Just ask the NFC North how it was playing the Bills last year. :)

Tim-

I thought I had mentioned Odrick...

I say notable gains because Suh and Cameron are high quality players at what they do. And Stills doesn't look too bad, maybe a #2 if Woods' caliber. But simply picking those guys up opened holes at receiver, and that's not even mentioning the already present need for a RB better than Mills, not to mention depth at CB past grimes, LB and OG.

There is still the draft, buy until I see otherwise they at best are lateral. And next year Suh and Cameron have a combined 35M hit on the cap if I remember right.

analysts should consider

if and how particular.coaching staffs prefer to build their roster and how the current roster stacks up to their ideal

the level of success the coaches have had with teams built with better/lesser/comparable talent

the level of cooperation the coaches will receive from the front office to build their ideal

working through that, i would say the Bills are 2nd to none as an NFL organization.

that guarrantees nothing, but it's a pretty solid benchmark to build current and future elements into

or you could just state a popular opinion

I thought I had mentioned Odrick...

I say notable gains because Suh and Cameron are high quality players at what they do. And Stills doesn't look too bad, maybe a #2 if Woods' caliber. But simply picking those guys up opened holes at receiver, and that's not even mentioning the already present need for a RB better than Mills, not to mention depth at CB past grimes, LB and OG.

There is still the draft, buy until I see otherwise they at best are lateral. And next year Suh and Cameron have a combined 35M hit on the cap if I remember right.

You did mention Odrick, but they also released starter Randy Starks. And as for Cameron being high quality, I'd agree if he had more than just 1 good season.

You did mention Odrick, but they also released starter Randy Starks. And as for Cameron being high quality, I'd agree if he had more than just 1 good season.

Ahh, I had forgotten Starks. Even more so. I don't buy the idea that they suddenly bought their way into the best D-line in football.

Until I see otherwise that title belongs to Hughes-Dareus-Kyle-Mario. *thumpsup*

From my point of view....

First, who cares what LaConfora thinks! He's entitled to his own opinion.

2nd yea on paper both Miami and the Bills got better! Both teams need to prove it! Granted the Bills have already proved it on defense they can and will get it done! Offense is loaded! But it's chemistry that's gotta prove itself! In due time I think.

3rd...I remember a big DT making a huge contract and went to garbage, Albert Haynesworth! Not saying Suh goes down that road but it's possible.

For once I'm really no team in the NFL fears me!

Not sure if the world is ready for the Bills to be great again!

The only thing the Fins have going for them is continuity with Philbin. Unfortunately for LaCanfora's prediction, Philbin is milquetoast at his very best. His teams are soft and I have zero faith he'll be able to control Suh should the big man decide to check out. The Fins got worse on offense, and you could argue took a step back on defense -- at least how the roster stands today (they need to sign a lot of players). I think Grimes is underrated, Suh is a great player, Wake can be a terror, Starks is well above solid... but who else do they have? Who's going to play LB for them? Who's going to be their nickle and try to cover Harvin/Woods/Clay? Who's going to catch passes from Tanny? I see far more questions than I see answers when I look at the Fins' roster, the biggest one being their head coach who I still can't believe survived Black Monday.

The Jets have a first time head coach who is coming from the NFC and will have to learn the division while installing brand new systems on both sides of the ball. Fitz won't start for them, and if he does he'll cost them 2 games they otherwise should have won. If they go with Mariota, it'll make the learning curve that much more steep. The Jets defense has talent (I'd argue more than the Fins), their biggest deficiency last year was the lack of NFL caliber CBs on the roster. That's no longer the case. I can see the Jets winning eight or nine games if things break right, but without a miracle they won't reach double digits as I see it now.

The Bills have new systems to install and a brand new coaching staff same as the Jets. That could hamper things, there's no way to tell. The one edge they have over Bowles is Ryan's familiarity with the AFC East. There won't be much of a learning curve for Ryan but there might be for Roman. The Bills are deeper and more talented at nearly every position than either the Fins or Jets. There are plenty of questions about the QB position -- but the same could be said for the Jets and even the Fins though to a much lesser extent (can Tanny take the next step or have we seen his ceiling?). The Bills have 3 years of continuity on the DL, that's not something to be overlooked. Suh might be better than Dareus (I don't think he will be for long, if he is at all) but he's still going to be learning how to play with Wake and Starks whereas the Bills' line know what their teammates are going to do in virtually every situation on the field. Even with a new defense, that kind of chemistry along the trenches is invaluable.

The *pats are the champs until someone beats them. LaCanfora's prediction of the Bills finishing last makes me seriously questioning his grip on reality. The Bills will win 10 games next year, 11 or 12 if one of the QBs steps up and proves more capable than the masses give him credit for. The Fins' ceiling for wins is between 10 and 12 if Philbin is better than I think (he isn't) or if Tanny takes that near mythical "next step". So, it could come down to the Bills and Fins for the AFC crown, but I doubt it. It'll come down to Buffalo and the Cheatriots in '15. There's very little chance the Bills crap out and finish last.