We Need To Be More Like The Packers

or the less talked about bad luck of andrew staying in school an extra year. Cam wouldve been our pick at 3, im relatively sure, had luck come out and gone #1 to carolina and i would have been so curious to see him with chan designing offense for him and spiller.

And if it wasn't for that damn Rob Johnson...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Packers didn't just get lucky. It starts at the top. They hired the right men at the top for GM, and went from there. The GM hired a new HC in Mike McCarthy that had been the 49ers OC for one 4-12 season in 2005, and the Saints OC 2000-2004.

GM Ted Thompson saw what he had in Aaron Rodgers before the guy even took the field, and many were chastising him for dumping Favre at that time. Thompson drafted his WR's in the second round, Gregg Jennings, Randall Cobb, Jordy Nelson.

Good GM, good coaching, good players = good team.

The Packers didn't just get lucky. It starts at the top. They hired the right men at the top for GM, and went from there. The GM hired a new HC in Mike McCarthy that had been the 49ers OC for one 4-12 season in 2005, and the Saints OC 2000-2004.

GM Ted Thompson saw what he had in Aaron Rodgers before the guy even took the field, and many were chastising him for dumping Favre at that time. Thompson drafted his WR's in the second round, Gregg Jennings, Randall Cobb, Jordy Nelson.

Good GM, good coaching, good players = good team.

I agree, but ---I don't think McCarthy is a very good coach. Since the SB win, have gone 2-4 in the playoffs on a pretty loaded team. He coached them to an incredible choke job in the NFCC last season.

I agree, but ---I don't think McCarthy is a very good coach. Since the SB win, have gone 2-4 in the playoffs on a pretty loaded team. He coached them to an incredible choke job in the NFCC last season.

Both the Seahawks, and Packers were 12-4 last year, and they played the conference championship in Seattle that ended in overtime. if the Packers beat the Bills they end up 13-3 with home field. Now think back to that one dropped pass by a wide open Jordy Nelson in that game....

Anyway, I can only dream McCarthy was the Bills HC, and Ted Thompson was the Bills GM.

all time great? no. upper end of the league currently? sure.

There is no "owner" in Green Bay. Football guys running a football team.

Recent success in GB traces back to Ron Wolf. Hired as GM in 1991, he hired John Schneider (current Seattle GM), Ted Thompson (current GB GM), John Dorsey (current KC GM), Scot McCloughan (SF GM during recent success and now GM of the Redskins), and Reggie McKenzie (current GM in Oakland). Holmgren took Schneider with him to Seattle.

You need the right FOOTBALL guys in the personnel department evaluating players and fitting them together. Besides Bill Polian and John Butler who has ever left the Bills personnel department and had success elsewhere?

It was refreshing to see Whaley given the green light to shake up the personnel department this offseason. The foundation is being built.

Edited by 217014170

Both the Seahawks, and Packers were 12-4 last year, and they played the conference championship in Seattle that ended in overtime. if the Packers beat the Bills they end up 13-3 with home field. Now think back to that one dropped pass by a wide open Jordy Nelson in that game....

Anyway, I can only dream McCarthy was the Bills HC, and Ted Thompson was the Bills GM.

Nice cherry pick. What if Gilmore doesn't drop an easy pick 6? (yes I know Nelson slapped at him but it was still an easy play for him to make)

• 2 weeks later...

I can't find a link to the story, so if someone can find one that'd be great. But I read yesterday that all but one of the current members of the Green Bay Packers have never played for another NFL team. This, coupled with Bryan Bulaga deciding to re-sign for less money than we offered, got me thinking.

The whole "Nobody wants to play in Buffalo" line is BS. I'm not knocking Green Bay by any means, but what do they have that we don't? Colder weather, and a smaller town with less to do. Again, not knocking them, but they have the same downsides we do, only worse.

What do they have? First, a team that's been a playoff, if not Super Bowl contender almost every season. A die hard fan base. Ownership that genuinely cares about their players. Also, a community that makes them feel at home despite the lack of nightlife that cites like NYC or Miami have. This is what the Pegulas are trying to build for both the Sabres and Bills. A organization that will attract new FA's, and make the old ones stay without having to overpay them, because they genuinely want to be here.

So we need to knock this notion, because it just isn't true anymore, or at least won't be in a few years.

As others have pointed out, having Favre succeeded by Aaron Rodgers as your QBs leads to a lot of winning, and a lot of winning leads to a lot of players wanting to stay.

As far as the FA thing, though, they've been to 3 SB in the last 20 years and won 2 SB (in the last 5 years). That's not a lot of SB for 2 HOF QB. Maybe the Packers should be trying to selectively bring in FA to raise their game the last notch?

EJ needs to be more like Rodgers.

really though, all these moves are starting to worry me. feels a little like whaley is letting rex whisper in his ear, and thats a little scary. love rex, but i don't want him to have chip-kelly-like power.

Peeps, you do realize that it's the GM's job to have the coach "whisper in his ear", right? NOt sure how it was, Kirby? posted a good link describing the process of building a draft board. Understanding what the coaches want and choosing players that fit their scheme is a big part of the GM's job. It's also why continunity is so important.