Anyone catch Brandon Spikes on NFL AM?

ty Powell at ILB and Randell Johnson at OLB, Lawson ... Not sure where he plays in this scheme yet maybe one one else does. I really think they need another ILB

Oh right, Lawson....

Even though we have Rex, I'm still assuming in my head that we're a 4-3 team because of the way our line is built... though I know he'll basically run whatever front... but to me Lawson is more a OLB than a DE, even though he played DE last year. Fun times with positions, hah.

@InsideNFLMedia: Spikes on the Bills: "Of course I would like to go back but you know how it goes in this league. Guys with new staff they like their guys."

This lines up pretty well with DW giving him a low/backup level contract. He wouldn't see the field much with Rex's system, I guess.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@InsideNFLMedia: Spikes on the Bills: "Of course I would like to go back but you know how it goes in this league. Guys with new staff they like their guys."

I'm getting angry here learning about our new team. But yeah the league is changing. The LB was the most important position a few ago and now ita second to SS. But Rex likes exotic D's and you can do a lot with a scheme change to 44 on multiple fronts. If Leroi can't realize Lawson can cover Gronk he needs to watch 2012 and 2013 tapes. A 44 front on Lawson was effective stopping brady passing but we could not stop the run. Spikes will. 55 is the mike. 55 is the mother !@#$ing Mike!

:angry:

Maybe it's too much to ask to get Spikes back to play a small percentage of snaps...But still...I want the guy back...I think he made a difference... B-)

depending on the call, he's probably most QBs' first read when he's out there. i 'd guess that we'd try to isolate him in coverage on pass plays where down, distance, and field position normally dictates a run. so, i'm sure our opponents do, too. and like Freddie - he doesn't contribute to STs.. the thing is, you don't have to hide Freddie

I'm getting angry here learning about our new team. But yeah the league is changing. The LB was the most important position a few ago and now ita second to SS. But Rex likes exotic D's and you can do a lot with a scheme change to 44 on multiple fronts. If Leroi can't realize Lawson can cover Gronk he needs to watch 2012 and 2013 tapes. A 44 front on Lawson was effective stopping brady passing but we could not stop the run. Spikes will. 55 is the mike. 55 is the mother !@#$ing Mike!

:D

I think Spikes thinks he is worth more than he actually is. I don't blame any football player for getting every penny they can. But the truth is he is a one dimensional player.

He wasn't a scumbag like he was on the Pats and I'd welcome him back at the right price. But it takes two to tangle.

I love Spikes and i'd love for him to be back. But we've heard Whaley all but say he won't be coming back and now we've heard Spikes all but say he won't be coming back.

The writing's pretty much on the wall. The promo for his appearance on NFL Total Access tonight has the hosts saying "We've got Brandon Spikes in studio and he's looking for a new team".

I think it's time to get real. We all look like Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber right now: "So you're saying there's a chance!"

I love Spikes and i'd love for him to be back. But we've heard Whaley all but say he won't be coming back and now we've heard Spikes all but say he won't be coming back.

The writing's pretty much on the wall. The promo for his appearance on NFL Total Access tonight has the hosts saying "We've got Brandon Spikes in studio and he's looking for a new team".

I think it's time to get real. We all look like Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber right now: "So you're saying there's a chance!"

Can't argue with this statement at all. We seem to, overwhelmingly, all like him and want him as a Bill, but Doug and Rex don't share our view. Wherever he goes, I wish him the best. In his limited time as a Bill, he really became a "Buffalo guy", and I have nothing but respect for the way he has handled himself since his signing last Spring.

Add to that John Murphy stopping just short of saying Brandon Spikes will not be back with the Bills on his radio show tonight. Yet, another sign that the Bills have turned the page on Spikes. I would've loved to have him back on a $2-$3M deal, but it seems the Bills think they can replace his production with a cheaper salary.

The situation is pretty simple; Spikes wants a 3 down role, the Bills offered him a 2 down/situational role. So both parties agreed they couldn't come to terms like that and as such they agreed to let Spikes test the FA waters whilst under a mutual agreement/desire that if that doesn't work out he'll (be) resign(ed). Bills want him, Spikes wants to be here, no issue there; it's all about the size of his role. Straight from the mouth of Whaley.

The situation is pretty simple; Spikes wants a 3 down role, the Bills offered him a 2 down/situational role. So both parties agreed they couldn't come to terms like that and as such they agreed to let Spikes test the FA waters whilst under a mutual agreement/desire that if that doesn't work out he'll (be) resign(ed). Bills want him, Spikes wants to be here, no issue there; it's all about the size of his role. Straight from the mouth of Whaley.

Straight from the mouth of Whaley... months ago. Before we started throwing money around like mad men. Before Spikes spoke of a return being less likely than those words.

I've yet to hear Whaley say "no - he won't be coming back" about anyone. He sounded just as optimistic (if not more) when talking about C.J. Spiller thay day. What he said about Spikes months ago is about as close to "he's probably not coming back" as he gets. I'd even say that his "offer" to Spikes sounded more like "hey, we tried" lip service than anything else.

Just let it go. Anyone who watched Spikes yesterday on either show for two seconds could see he has moved on. If he were to come back to us - i'd be estatic. But hoping/expecting it is just foolish at this point.

The issue is that Rex likes to run a defense that keeps the offense guessing. He needs versatile players for that. With spikes on the field it dictates to the offense he won't be dropping back into coverage, and we're in run stop formation

Absolutely! This is a HUGE reason why I doubt he'll be back.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

He is talking about Bills fans and all the moves the team is making. I really wish the Bills would bring him back. I know they have an offer out for backup money. I am crossing my fingers he comes back. I think he could be valuable in run D and leadership and he loves Buffalo! Come on Rex...

Yep he has a lot of heart and that is not insignificant but do you think that swayed the hoodie...no....he builds teams with his brain and casts off guys who don't fit just before they tank a la Wolfork. Will Buffalo be the team with heart or the team that wins...I'll take the heart but...